Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

knocking wall and fitting rsj.

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the price of knocking a kitchen/dining room.wall and replacing with an rsj, approx 3000mm long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I seen this ad before maybe it will be a rough guide for you looking for it to be done myself if you get quote's can you post them cheers.

http://www.pickapro.ie/offers.php

Scroll down near the bottom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1-4g but what are you including for? eng design & cert, builder insurance, skip hire, ceiling, flooring, plastering, painting, or just RSJ insert and labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Take down wall, install rsj, plaster, remove rubbish and clean up.

Is there a need for eng cert?
    I've gotten a price of 1.7k just need to know if its good value.

BryanF wrote: »
    1-4g but what are you including for? eng design & cert, builder insurance, skip hire, ceiling, flooring, plastering, painting, or just RSJ insert and labour?

Byran can you outline the correct way this job should be done

will I get in a engineer first agree a plan and then look for a bulider?

ted1 wrote: »

From what i've read to make sure the bulider works within the buliding regulations an engineer

will issue a certificate of compliance for the alteration to avoid any hassle if

you decide to sell your house. Its extremely hard to certify the work after its been completed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ted1 wrote: »

seems ok but thats why you WOULD get several quotes..

@luton, the propping IMO is important, as is the correct barring for the support (but were getting into structural territory, so ill stop here, sorry mods)

@ted furthering luton comments: as with most reno's - its the site/ condition specific, so boards.ie is perhaps not the best place to discuss, where as an eng is;)

a friend in the trades recently got a similar rsj span/ wall removal for 1.5g - when they were taking down the structural/propping supports he overheard one of them saying 'sh... that's after sinking further than it should have' - this seemed like a fare price and luckily the situation is not as bad as it might have been. BUT no engineer, direct labour, or worse jobs for cash, equals no insurance and very little come back if something goes wrong..

Advertisement