Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accused of racism

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Im not sure if this is the place for this. I clicked on the link and I got brought here :confused::confused: so here goes.

There was post in the hunting section saying a minority from society are robbing dogs from people.

I asked was this minority a different race to us.

My post got deleted. At the time I wasnt sure if it was really deleted, I was second guessing myself and wondering did I even actually hit the post botton.

So I posted it again, but just to be sure (incase a mod had deleted it and incase I had offended somebody) I reworded it- I cant remember what I said- but I remember joking at the end saying I couldnt have put it any more politically correct.

Probably 10 minutes later I look and its deleted again with a warning saying that two posts were deleted and that I wasnt to post again.

I pm'd the mod just to see what was wrong.

He replied saying that I wasnt allowed to probe for information on who this minority group is. I replied back saying thats grand. ANd that I hope I didnt offend anybody. I didnt post anymore and logged off.

I came back online a few hours later to see I have been infracted for my 2 deleted posts.

I emailed the mod again asking why was I infracted after I took his warning and did not post again.

He emailed me back saying that it takes time to make a decision and that Im been infracted for racisim.

To be honest Im a bit peeved off with that. Im not the person who singled out a minority group and accused them off robbery. I just asked which group was he talking about.

And aswell, he gave me a warning I followed it- why was there to need to punish me on top of that.

Anyone that knows me will tell you Im far from racist. Ive done alot of travelling around the world and some of my best friends come in all shapes/sizes/colours/cultures.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Please be advised that one of the Sports Cmod team members will investigate this DRP as time permits. Please be patient, as we are unpaid volunteers with outside commitments.

EDIT: Black Swan will be investigating this DRP. Currently collecting information from both parties concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

You asked have I any thoughts to add to this issue.

Well I said it all above, but really my problems are this:

1) I asked a simple question when someone accussed a minority group of dodgy dealings and yet I get in trouble. Has he even gotten infracted for his original statement?

2) As soon as the moderator warning went up I stopped posting. I emailed the mod and he replied back and I felt the whole issue came to a benign conclusion.

3) Little did I know that in the background a group of moderators were actually discussing what they were going to do with me.

4) Id just like to highlight again that Im not racist. I do a lot of body building and over the years a lot of people I lifted with are as "black" as you get. I spent 4 months dating an Asian girl. I have more friends from different countries then I do Irish friends. So Im not going to sit here and be accused and punished for racism when Im not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have reviewed the official boards.ie records and the PMs regarding this DRP appeal of a Red Card issued 19 June 2012 on the Hunting forum by mod Vegeta.

SUMMARY:
    • Mike87 posts "The Negros is it?"
    • It is reported by member(s) of the Hunting posting community as being offensive; i.e., racist.
    • Mod Vegeta deletes the post accordingly, with no further action.
    • Mike87 reposts "Think my last post got deleted...
      Whos the minority group your talking about? Is it foreign nationals with a different skin colour than us? (cant put it any more PC than that)."
    • Mod Vegeta deletes the 2nd post, then confers with his fellow mods regarding appropriate action. It takes time for this exchange to occur, hence the delay in actioning.
    • The conference of mods agrees that a Red Card infraction is deemed necessary, especially because the reported offense was repeated after being deleted the 1st time (which Mike87 acknowledges in his 2nd post).
    • Mod Vegeta issues a Red Card infraction for "Breach of Forum Charter." It should be noted at this point that the official boards.ie record does not show the specific reason, only that a breach occurred, and that the mods agreed with issuing the Red Card.
    • Although the Hunting charter does not specifically state that anything that pertains to suggestions of racism are violations, the boards.ie Terms of Use does in fact state that as a violation, so this was really a violation of the entire site's charter, not specifically the Hunting Charter.
    DECISION POINTS:
    • Mike87, after suspecting that a mod had deleted his "The Negros is it?" post, reposts a 2nd "different skin colour" question.
    • Mod Vegeta is forced into a corner where he has to act after the 2nd post. After consulting other Hunting forum mods, he acts in accordance with boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines, issuing a Red Card infraction.
    • As a part of this review, I have consulted boards.ie records, and mod Vegeta issues very few infractions, so I find that he is not exhibiting any heavy-handed moderation behaviors in dealing with the Mike87 case, or any other Hunting poster case. Matter of fact, in this specific case, he exercised caution seeking the opinions of his co-mods before actioning.
    • As regards to Mike87 being "Accused of racism," only the title he used in this DRP mentions this as a factor for the Red Card. When I call up Mike87's "Profile" in the official boards.ie records, only "Breach of Forum Charter" is given as a reason for the Red Card.
    • As the result of this review, I find no compelling evidence to overturn the Red Card infraction issued, consequently it stands.

This Sports Cmod review of this DRP has been completed. Mike87 may either accept this decision and move on, or he may request an Admin review.

Black Swan wrote: »
    I have reviewed the official boards.ie records and the PMs regarding this DRP appeal of a Red Card issued 19 June 2012 on the Hunting forum by mod Vegeta.

SUMMARY:
    • Mike87 posts "The Negros is it?"
    • It is reported by member(s) of the Hunting posting community as being offensive; i.e., racist.
    • Mod Vegeta deletes the post accordingly, with no further action.
    • Mike87 reposts "Think my last post got deleted...
      Whos the minority group your talking about? Is it foreign nationals with a different skin colour than us? (cant put it any more PC than that)."
    • Mod Vegeta deletes the 2nd post, then confers with his fellow mods regarding appropriate action. It takes time for this exchange to occur, hence the delay in actioning.
    • The conference of mods agrees that a Red Card infraction is deemed necessary, especially because the reported offense was repeated after being deleted the 1st time (which Mike87 acknowledges in his 2nd post).
    • Mod Vegeta issues a Red Card infraction for "Breach of Forum Charter." It should be noted at this point that the official boards.ie record does not show the specific reason, only that a breach occurred, and that the mods agreed with issuing the Red Card.
    • Although the Hunting charter does not specifically state that anything that pertains to suggestions of racism are violations, the boards.ie Terms of Use does in fact state that as a violation, so this was really a violation of the entire site's charter, not specifically the Hunting Charter.
    DECISION POINTS:
    • Mike87, after suspecting that a mod had deleted his "The Negros is it?" post, reposts a 2nd "different skin colour" question.
    • Mod Vegeta is forced into a corner where he has to act after the 2nd post. After consulting other Hunting forum mods, he acts in accordance with boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines, issuing a Red Card infraction.
    • As a part of this review, I have consulted boards.ie records, and mod Vegeta issues very few infractions, so I find that he is not exhibiting any heavy-handed moderation behaviors in dealing with the Mike87 case, or any other Hunting poster case. Matter of fact, in this specific case, he exercised caution seeking the opinions of his co-mods before actioning.
    • As regards to Mike87 being "Accused of racism," only the title he used in this DRP mentions this as a factor for the Red Card. When I call up Mike87's "Profile" in the official boards.ie records, only "Breach of Forum Charter" is given as a reason for the Red Card.
    • As the result of this review, I find no compelling evidence to overturn the Red Card infraction issued, consequently it stands.

This Sports Cmod review of this DRP has been completed. Mike87 may either accept this decision and move on, or he may request an Admin review.

Wait a second. Did you not read anything I had to say in the above posts..?? Im not a racist person.

Ok, look just to be clear, racism is defined as:

"Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races." -dictionary.com

Someone posted saying a minority group in this society is stealing dogs.

I simply asked

Is this minority group Negros?

Im not sure how someone can read that as been racist.? Sure isnt negro the word thats used in the american census when it asks which race you identify with.

So for whatever reasons (which Im not clear on) that post was deleted.

I made a second post. Yes. But did you even read the very first line in that second post. I said I wasnt sure if my last post was deleted. If I was sure that my post was deleted I wouldnt have posted again. And as you saw. As soon as I was sure they were been deleted I stopped posting.

And now here you are supporting the decision to punish me for been racist.

Even though I emailed the mod as soon as the incident happened expressing that I hope I didnt offend anybody.

Even though I have said here more than once that Im not racist.

Even though the vast majority of my friends are non-Irish (and "coloured" )

And in spite of all that you still support a decision to punish me for been racist.

And the reason your keeping that stance is because I posted twice and the mod in question doesnt usually issue infractions.

And by the way- you do realise that I forwarded you emails the mod sent to me that said very clearly
    "the racial undercurrent was deemed offensive enough to warrant an infraction. This is a combined mod decision"

But yet you contradict that by saying
    As regards to Mike87 being "Accused of racism," only the title he used in this DRP mentions this as a factor for the Red Card.

Did you even read that stuff I sent you..? I guess not.

Yeh- I think Id like a second opinion on this please.

Mike87 wrote: »
    Yeh- I think Id like a second opinion on this please.

REQUEST

Please be advised that Mike87 requests Admin review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What was the exact wording of the first message Mike87 received from the moderator?

Mike87, please go to your PM Inbox, open the first infraction/warning message and hit the Report PM icon report.gif so that I can see it.

Trojan wrote: »
    What was the exact wording of the first message Mike87 received from the moderator?

Mike87, please go to your PM Inbox, open the first infraction/warning message and hit the Report PM icon report.gif so that I can see it.

You should have that message now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I received Mike87's reported PM (link here for admins only).

The relevant part of the warning is:
    Currently the thread is warning users that an un-named aspect of society are targeting online sales.

You are trying to identify the group of people. We're simply not going to allow that.

Mike87's assertion is that he was "Accused of racism". The language in the PM does not make this accusation and therefore the appeal is denied and the original ruling stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement