Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning bottles in hotels

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi.

I hope to get a day or 2 away with my little man this weekend. Plan to stay in a hotel and will be driving. Lord knows we need it with me being in hospital a few times and then him.

My little man is nearly 11 weeks old and is bottle fed.

Bottle washing and sterilising seem the biggest problem to me! Any tips/advice for those of you that have gone before me? :-)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Disposable bottles? That or use cartons of formula and bring an electric sterilizer and wash bottles in bathroom sink and then use electric sterilizer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

January wrote: »
    Disposable bottles? That or use cartons of formula and bring an electric sterilizer and wash bottles in bathroom sink and then use electric sterilizer.

Spot on.

Cartons of formula and disposable bottles. Worth the little extra expense for a special trip like this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We bring all the sterilising equipment and wash and sterilise like we do at home. Presumably your baby is on 7-8 feeds a day...so you'd have to buy 14-16 disposable bottles? We bought bottles of ballygowan water* and used that for the feed.

*boiled it first of course

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We always do it the same as home but I bring Milton too if it is only for a night or 2 and the travel steriliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

We bought bottles of ballygowan water* and used that for the feed.

*boiled it first of course
    you need to be careful using bottled water for baby feeds as it can contain high levels of sodium and sulphate which are bad for the baby.

check the bottle of water before you use it and make sure that it has less than 200 milligrams (mg) a litre of sodium (also written as Na) and no more than 250mg a litre of sulphate (also written as SO or SO4).

as for sterilising in a hotel, if you're really stuck, just use the kettle in the room and do it in the bathroom sink with boiled water. obviously it's going to be better if you bring an electric steriliser though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Oh and don't forget washing up liquid and the brushes if you are taking your own bottles.

Also I would try to run with the cartons of formula as a lot of hotels, even so called 4 star hotels don't have fridges in the room. The cartons leave you more flexible then. Enjoy!

vibe666 wrote: »
    you need to be careful using bottled water for baby feeds as it can contain high levels of sodium and sulphate which are bad for the baby.

check the bottle of water before you use it and make sure that it has less than 200 milligrams (mg) a litre of sodium (also written as Na) and no more than 250mg a litre of sulphate (also written as SO or SO4).

as for sterilising in a hotel, if you're really stuck, just use the kettle in the room and do it in the bathroom sink with boiled water. obviously it's going to be better if you bring an electric steriliser though.

Yep, we researched it before we went....ballygowan had the lowest levels of sodium and sulphate, that's why we bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Thanks for all your replies. Never knew that you could buy disposable bottles. Where does one purchase those?

He's on 5 feeds a day. Five BIG feeds. Big wee man :-)

I'll be on my own so I suppose the least I have to take the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Boots do pre-sterilized disposable bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why not bring a steriliser bag rather than buying disposable bottles ?

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Disposable-Steriliser-Bags-7Pack_25755/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Milton in the bathroom sink/ container that you bring?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

Thank God for breastfeeding

No sterilisers, no bottles, no sodium, no ballygowan, no hassles!

And all at the tidy price of €0.00

PERFICK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I got some steriliser bags in boots and some washing up liquid. Washed the bottles in the bathroom sink, then put them into the steriliser bag. The second time I just brought a plastic basin and some milton tablets, and used the basin for washing the bottles and sterilising after. Bathroom sinks can be annoyingly small for washing up!

I looked at those disposable bottles that Boots sell (I think the brand is called Nurture?) but they are soft PVC type material and they just looked awkward to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

PBroderick wrote: »
    Thank God for breastfeeding

No sterilisers, no bottles, no sodium, no ballygowan, no hassles!

And all at the tidy price of €0.00

PERFICK

If only men could do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

I haven't been on here for a few weeks. Unfortunately I never did get away. Hopefully soon!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions though for future reference!

Yep, we researched it before we went....ballygowan had the lowest levels of sodium and sulphate, that's why we bought it.
    thanks for the tip btw. just spent the last week in temple street with the baby sick again and it saved us a lot of hassle.

also, volvic seems to be even lower than ballygowan for sodium. might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

thanks for the tip btw. just spent the last week in temple street with the baby sick again and it saved us a lot of hassle.

also, volvic seems to be even lower than ballygowan for sodium. might be worth a look.

Hope ur little ones ok vibe, must be horrible :(

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hope ur little ones ok vibe, must be horrible :(
    compared to a lot of people we were very lucky, so it's hard to give out.

there's a series on tv3 about temple street thats well worth a look, they do some amazing work there: http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?date_mode=0&full_episodes=1&locID=1.65.657

there was a pretty major irish celebrity there with his wife looking very sad the day we left too, i guess nobody is immune to sick kids. :(

Aww sorry about your little one, hope he's ok.

I do remember going through them all and volvic and evian came out the worst, but that was 3 years ago, so they could have all changed in the meantime. Thanks for the tip.

Hope your little one is on the mmend xxx

Advertisement