Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Windows

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm about to replace all the windows in a house, and looking for any advice in what to look out for? Triple Vs. Double glazing? NSAI approved Vs. UK&EUROPE approved? etc. It is an old house and the walls have no cavity, so cannot pump walls with insulation, so looking for best possible windows to retain as much heat as possible. thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

I have a similiar question; does NSAI actually mean anything or is a window a window?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I'm no expert but one piece of advice would be to make sure they are glazed from inside the house (ie: the glass pane is placed into the frame from inside of the building). If they are externally glazed then someone can pop the beads and remove the glass from outside. This was more of an issue when PVC windows started getting popular. I think the vast majority of companies do internal glazing nowadays.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

bartbanis wrote: »
    I'm about to replace all the windows in a house, and looking for any advice in what to look out for? Triple Vs. Double glazing? NSAI approved Vs. UK&EUROPE approved? etc. It is an old house and the walls have no cavity, so cannot pump walls with insulation, so looking for best possible windows to retain as much heat as possible. thanks for any help.
    How old is this house?
    Wall insulation and new windows would be best installed together, with an insulation overlap ( including suitable ventilation also)
    Nsai is the Irish rating system an in lieu of an arch's spec probably the Best way to compare brands. All window are different and are a mine field for the novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

Neilos wrote: »
    I'm no expert but one piece of advice would be to make sure they are glazed from inside the house (ie: the glass pane is placed into the frame from inside of the building). If they are externally glazed then someone can pop the beads and remove the glass from outside. This was more of an issue when PVC windows started getting popular. I think the vast majority of companies do internal glazing nowadays.

Most PVC Windows are fitted from the outside for the purpose of aesthetic's. If the window is fitted from the inside you have a much thicker window frame.

If window is siliconed around shims before beads are fitted, it is very difficult to remove glass and certainly impossible to do so without setting off an alarm.

So would people think that windows which are NSAI rated are worth paying a bit extra for?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

are you talking about WEP rated?

have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056211189

I guess I am! Thanks, will take a look at that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

OK. Here are just a few points.

1. The need to ensure that the window openings are acccuractely measured by the fitter and window supplier, Measure at least 3 different widths for any opening. Generally you want about 10mm to 20mm play so as to fit the frame accurately on a renovation project.
    2. You will probably be foam sealing.
    3. The need to ensure that straps are fitted.
    4. The need to ensure that straps are more fitted near the top, and more near the hinges.
    5. The need for colour to be carefully chosen.
    6. The need to arrange for hinge positions, which side, top or side hinge, etc. How many hinges?
    7. The need to arrange for other things such as handle types, what types, will you like them, chrome, matt or gloss, gold etc.
    8. Go triple at this stage - double doesn't seem to be a valid solution very much now adays - better quiteness and better thermal from triple seem to be the benefits.
    9. PVC frames - should be reliable over the long term but you do need a manufacture that will back up in case of colour change/excessive or abnormal fading etc.

Advertisement