Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball in the Sky in Naas

Options
  • 21-06-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We saw a fireball in the sky on Tuesday around midnight moving in a northerly direction. It was moving swiftly - we were able to follow its direction as it was extremely bright. It was just below the few clouds; there was no blinking of lights from it and there was no sound. It was only a matter of seconds before it went out of sight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

iss?

ya sure it was northerly moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I assume you mean "fireball" in the astronomical sense of a very bright meteor? If that's not what you meant, it's a lucky coincidence, that's probably what it was. They can look pretty spectacular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

if you get to see a comet first you get to name it that pretty cool if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Organised4You

Hi
    yes it was going in a northern direction. It was heading towards Sallins / Straffan from Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

if you get to see a comet first you get to name it that pretty cool if you ask me

how would you prove that you saw it?

• Advertisement

I assume you mean "fireball" in the astronomical sense of a very bright meteor? If that's not what you meant, it's a lucky coincidence, that's probably what it was. They can look pretty spectacular.

Yes, I meant fireball as in meteor. It actually was an amazing sight - have never seen anything like it before.
    Have been trying to find someone else who may have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

how would you prove that you saw it?

Scientists post their findings and others confirm the sighting independantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭b318isp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yes, I meant fireball as in meteor. It actually was an amazing sight - have never seen anything like it before.
    Have been trying to find someone else who may have seen it.
    my bro tx me last might to tell me he saw it..we both have an interest in celestial matters...he saw it from bray and reakons it was headed north /west dir.

Maudi wrote: »
    my bro tx me last might to tell me he saw it..we both have an interest in celestial matters...he saw it from bray and reakons it was headed north /west dir.

Cool - did your brother report it to Astronomy Ireland? There's an online tool for doing that. Thanks for letting us know :)

• Advertisement

@ Maudi
    Did your bro give you a description of what he saw? Maybe he could post here what he saw?
    Tx

Advertisement