Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative SEO - Fact or fiction??

Options
  • 21-06-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

So, I'm wondering if it possible to damage my site by buying crummy backlinks.

And if so, what is to stop me from damaging my competitors website with crummy backlinks?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well ive read and seen the results of a negative campaign with some rather dubious tools and really i have to question the morals of some of the people doing this to others.

It clearly does work, you can damage someones website whether it be short term or long term is up to the standard of skill the webmaster has with determining which incoming links are bad and which can be removed, utilizing webmaster tools and a few others to distinguish what and when it has been done.

I have seen 2 types of bad campaigns, first being a google dance effort - knocking the website for 6 on the serps it generally means your bounced out of the spot although temporarily while google determines where in the serps you should preside.
    The second obviously is knocking your website flat on its arse and completely knocking it out of the park 100+ ..

And truly there's nothing to stop you doing this to your competitors, but remember dependent on what your doing you may increase his ranking also - ive seen that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

100% possible and verified by a fairly well know (seo) website owner

Read this first, the perpetrators of the N-SEO - interesting how they managed it (you only have to read the first bit)

http://trafficplanet.com/topic/2369-case-study-negative-seo-results/

Then the website owner, some days later, hits the Google Webmaster Forum looking for advice:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/webmasters/Azfly-iRtLs/aMwWnCfASvYJ

So, its very possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all,

I have been trying to find a good answer for this query, but haven't had much look so far. This is basically my question(s)

Does an xml site map automatically include new pages that are added to site or does this have to be done manually? I have been submitting them manually to date

If it does add them in automatically, roughly how does that process work? How does it detect the new pages?

How is it communicating with the site / cms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

It's really disappointing that Google are now effectively encouraging the worst kind of black hat practices.

It appears that with Penguin, Google have:
    • renewed the paid backlink industry rather than harm it
    • given webmasters incentive and methods to attack their competitors
    • created an environment of paranoia amongst webmasters
    • forced webmasters to spend less time creating good content, and more time looking at their backlinks
    • encouraged a cold war mentality among competing websites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

seachto7: depending on your CMS you can have the ability to automatically create a sitemap. This is then pointed to in your robots.txt. Google can then scan that intermittently and see any new pages - or indeed see these new pages through new links it finds on your site.

Use a site search to see whats the last page google indexed - in the google search bar key in

site:mysite.ie
    hit enter
    then refine the by hitting more search tools
    then click past week/month and you will see the indexed pages and their date indexed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

Negative seo can be done after penguin algorithm as google has become strict toward low quality link building profile and hence you can use it against your competitor.

Anchor text spam : As google hates same anchor text you can point links with same anchor text.

but it also has chance that you might rather help your competitor rather than doing damage the amount of negative seo completely depends upon your competitor authority the more authority it has more damage it can sustain like if you want to hurt Wikipedia you are just wasting your time.

Advertisement