Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comedians nicking each others jokes?

• 21-06-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I was watching a Tommy Tiernan stand up DVD a few weeks ago, and he mentioned something pretty funny. I went along the lines of:

"Why do they ban drugs in the olympics? Because I'd gladly pay to see athletes finishing the race at the speed of light"

Excuse my bad paraphrasing but it was something like that, with the same sort of message. Ha ha ha all very funny.

But then I saw an episode of Mock the Week, and Andy Parsons was talking about sport. He mentioned the same joke, almost word for word. I believe it even had the same punchline.

Not wanting to show bias here as I have no idea whether or not the Tiernan stand up was filmed first or the Mock the Week episode featuring the joke was.

I think I also heard Frankie Boyle say the joke at one of his stand up gigs on DVD. Its everywhere!

Any of you guys aware of this? Do you know of any other occasions where jokes were used by more than one comedian or is it common practice for comedians to share jokes among themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Okay, so I was watching a Tommy Tiernan stand up DVD a few weeks ago, and he mentioned something pretty funny. I went along the lines of:

"Why do they ban drugs in the olympics? Because I'd gladly pay to see athletes finishing the race at the speed of light"

Excuse my bad paraphrasing but it was something like that, with the same sort of message. Ha ha ha all very funny.

But then I saw an episode of Mock the Week, and Andy Parsons was talking about sport. He mentioned the same joke, almost word for word. I believe it even had the same punchline.

Not wanting to show bias here as I have no idea whether or not the Tiernan stand up was filmed first or the Mock the Week episode featuring the joke was.

I think I also heard Frankie Boyle say the joke at one of his stand up gigs on DVD. Its everywhere!

Any of you guys aware of this? Do you know of any other occasions where jokes were used by more than one comedian or is it common practice for comedians to share jokes among themselves?

Why did the chicken cross the road ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the difference between comedians and non comedians is they get paid to joke around..thats all they are touted as huge celebrities its time we brought them off that pedastel and not buy..comedians are two a penny now..sick of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In before Denis Leary gets mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Do you know of any other occasions where jokes were used by more than one comedian or is it common practice for comedians to share jokes among themselves?

Not any more, robbing material is totally frowned upon. American comedians are very competitive in particular. I've seen videos where this one guy who was huge over there a few years ago was accused on stage of stealing jokes by another comedian. His career plummeted soon afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Dane Cook/Louis CK, anyone?
    Edit:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

El Weirdo wrote: »
    i have never heard of this guy:confused: nad no,i aint going to google him either:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Sparklepants!

Denis Leary stole lots of material from the late Bill Hicks years ago. Caused quite the stir. Comedians steal each others jokes all the time but tell them in a different way.

Oh well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

In before Bill Hicks gets mentioned.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Not any more, robbing material is totally frowned upon. American comedians are very competitive in particular. I've seen videos where this one guy who was huge over there a few years ago was accused on stage of stealing jokes by another comedian. His career plummeted soon afterwards.

Dane Cook and Louis CK comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

cloptrop wrote: »
    Why did the chicken cross the road ?

I deduce this was a Rock Island hen, eleven months old, and that it was kept in a mesh cage composed of galvanized iron.

Surely Watson, you can see this was a festive Sunday afternoon, and the chicken is but one step ahead of the family stew pot.;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It used to be that every comedian would steal the other guys stuff but that's going decades back. These days it's frowned upon. Only the more old school plebs like Brendan Grace carry on like comedians did back then.

There's only so many topics to make jokes about too. Drug use in the olympics is a fairly huge target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

On one of Dara o Briains live show's he mentioned something along the lines of how science doesn't know everything, which is why science keeps going with development of new drugs and such.

Russell Howard said the same thing, almost word for word on another program a few weeks later.

Was funnier when Dara said it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

In before Bill Hicks gets mentioned.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Joe Rogan confronting Carlos Mencia about it was pretty good :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Tommy Tiernan is a comedian??? :eek:

It's probably more widespread than we'll ever know. Here's a video of Stewart Lee talking about Joe Pasquale stealing Michael Redmonds (Fr. Stone from Father Ted) joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

you mean this:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

that joke is around a LOT longer than tommy tiernan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Helix wrote: »
    that joke is around a LOT longer than tommy tiernan

I'm not saying the joke was originally Tiernan's, it's just where I heard it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

On one of Dara o Briains live show's he mentioned something along the lines of how science doesn't know everything, which is why science keeps going with development of new drugs and such.

Russell Howard said the same thing, almost word for word on another program a few weeks later.

Another one I've heard Dara O'Briain say is about how herbal medicines that work are called medicine. Heard Tim Minchin use the exact same joke. I looked O'Briain up on YouTube and they were word for word th same. Don't know who had it first but it's bad form if you steal a joke and don't even change it a little bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

In before Krusty the clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

In before joe paskwale pasquale pascalue...
    Too late..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In before the 50,000 word post about a shaggy dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The most famous one i heard of that was mentioned before was the Denis Leary nicking Bill Hicks' jokes and Bill Hicks taking immense offense to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wasn't there a warm up act for Tommy Tiernan who was booed off stage for suing a Tommy Tiernan joke, a few years ago?

Everyone brings up Dennis Leary and Bill Hicks, but not many bring up Bill Hicks and Lenny Bruce. And I'm sure Lenny Bruce was heavily influenced by someone before him too. I'd say it's more difficult to find a comedian who hasn't stolen a joke or a style from someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sacramento wrote: »
    Here's a video of Stewart Lee talking about Joe Pasquale stealing Michael Redmonds (Fr. Stone from Father Ted) joke.

5 minutes 14 seconds... He could have said all that within a minute, and that's why I just can't watch Stewart Lee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

Actually,what would surprise me is if I heard Russell Howard say something funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shamefully stolen from a thread in Stand-up forum (sorry bmbm).

Leary

Carlos Mencia steals from everyone

Dane Cook steals from Louis C.k

Heres a interesting blog post by Patton Oswalt regarding a "comedian" that stole entire routines from him,even down to his individual mannerisms

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=67077201&blogId=533643624

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭optogirl

Have heard professional foul-mouth granny with irritating laugh Brendan O'Carroll do Billy connolly routines and just 'Dublin' them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

optogirl wrote: »
    Have heard professional foul-mouth granny with irritating laugh Brendan O'Carroll do Billy connolly routines and just 'Dublin' them up.

He's a appalling comedian! and That idiot Dave Young too.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Stewart Lee's book 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate' is (besides the trials and tribulations of his own career) focused massively on originality and thievery within comedy.
    Generally, the alt.comedy scene looks down on brazen word-for-word "borrowing", but take influences and contort them/their meaning, or if they need the line verbatim, pay for it's outright use (which the writer can refuse), whereas the mainstream Comedy Store/Jongleurs types steal jokes or have writers go to clubs to steal jokes for them (Pasquale's trick), or when it's an "alternative" comedian, steal the joke, incur their wrath and pay a fine or a fee to keep using the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Two words: Carlos Mencia.

He's a master at robbing jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Denis Leary stole lots of material from the late Bill Hicks years ago. Caused quite the stir. Comedians steal each others jokes all the time but tell them in a different way.

Stole lots of material from Hicks?....Leary stole his whole persona!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE4sK_yYtGQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Hicks / Leary thing gets way overblown - compounded by the fact that Hicks is dead, while Leary is not only not dead but doing well. So Hicks gets portrayed as this heroic mould-breaking genius who never stole from anybody, when he himself happily cited Lenny Bruce, Sam Kinison and George Carlin, among others.

Of course comedians are borrowing from each other - they always have and always will. Where Leary screwed up was in not sufficiently changing the material (e.g. the Jim Fixx joke), and using some of it in his popular show which was recorded and televised (No Cure For Cancer) - so he got far more exposure than Hicks did at that time (1992). If you watch that show, you can see the problem, but you can also see the rest of the routines that had nothing to do with Hicks at all.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

smash wrote: »
    5 minutes 14 seconds... He could have said all that within a minute, and that's why I just can't watch Stewart Lee!

It's the smugness that gets me. He's a complete knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

humanji wrote: »
    Everyone brings up Dennis Leary and Bill Hicks, but not many bring up Bill Hicks and Lenny Bruce.

Yeah but Hicks didn't rob wholesale from Lenny Bruce.

Stuff like that Olympics joke that the OP mentioned though - there's plenty of obvious topics that people are going to do jokes about and it's only natural that some comedians are going to come up with the same stuff every so often. Stewart Lee and Andrew Maxwell both wrote bits about the IRA being 'gentlemen bombers' around the same time without having seen the other's bit. Lee talks about it in one of his books. That was coincidence. PJ Gallagher ripping off the same stuff for his DVD a few years ago was just lazy robbing of material.

I've also heard a number of people (comedians and just people I know) make jokes about 'The Gay Theatre Festival' - "aren't all theatre festivals gay?" "as if there's any other kind of theatre festival" etc. etc.

I don't think they robbed the jokes off each other I just think it's a joke that lots of people would come up with so you've got to allow for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

sometimes a person can see something and forget about it and then remember it but thing they though of it.
    And other times its just a rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I remember Danny Baker doing that joke at least ten years ago. Maybe more.

On one of Ricky Gervais's stand-up DVDs he tells an anecdote which is identical to one that I remember David Baddiel telling on TV in the early 90s.

If it's done deliberately it's quite a bit off and it must genuinely annoy comedians to see their material used elsewhere but then if you're writing material I can see how you might subconsiously recycle something you have heard another comedian use in the past without even realising it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Two words: Carlos Mencia.

He's a master at robbing jokes.

Even stole the Fish Sticks joke :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

How come Karl Spain never steal any good jokes :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

not that theres anything wrong with that sort of thing!

Worst i heard was Jay Mohr stealing Bert Kreischers whole story and experience...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDp4ZABoefs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OlAPjDt9GE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Brendan O'Caroll used to nick a lot of Billy Connelly's jokes.
    ...A lot!

Wise was still doing it last Friday in the Comedy Club in Dublin.
    Was there with the wife.

smash wrote: »
    Sacramento wrote: »
    Here's a video of Stewart Lee talking about Joe Pasquale stealing Michael Redmonds (Fr. Stone from Father Ted) joke.

I quite like him, I thought he told the story quite well while at the same time making fun of a comedian that stole a joke. I wasn't bored for any duration during that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

YFlyer wrote: »
    How come Karl Spain never steal any good jokes :confused:

I think he stole his ones from Frank Carson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

D1stant wrote: »
    I think he stole his ones from Frank Carson

My bad. It must be the way he tell 'em!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Stewart Lee was bitching about joe pasquale stealing jokes but he uses a Billy Connolly joke in this video (the tea cosy one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I think this has always been the case with comedians, it is just more obvious in recent times due to the availability of the clips on the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement