Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comedians nicking each others jokes?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hands up if you've seen this performed with Devore in the mask. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Comedians are really touchy about this, ridiculously so IMO, as nobody really cares except for themselves. And it's very easy to accidentally steal a joke, as mentioned original thought is almost impossible. It doesn't mean that someone deliberately ripped them off.

I've had mixes I've done later repeated in clubs I've been in where I'd know the DJ. No harm, no foul, I'm sure someone somewhere else in the world also thought of the same thing and, even if it was deliberate, it's still him acknowledging that he liked what I did with it. It's a backwards kinda compliment. If he continues to do it, fine, I can keep coming up with new stuff anyway so he'll always be chasing me.

I remember I was once interviewing one Irish stand-up (a really cool guy otherwise) and said a joke of his to set him up for a routine he'd published on YouTube. He got really thick with me, on-air:

"That's actually a routine of mine, man."
    "I know, I did my research. I was setting you up so you could sell a few tickets."
    (cue blushes on his part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

derfderf wrote: »
    Stewart Lee was bitching about joe pasquale stealing jokes but he uses a Billy Connolly joke in this video (the tea cosy one)

I'm pretty sure he readily admits that he took that joke from Connolly. The thing with Pasquale was that Pasquale claimed he'd written it, then claimed one of his writers had and then claimed that you can't own a joke.

Comedians do other comedians bits every so often but it's when they start claiming that they own them or written them is when people start getting disgruntled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

One fairly famous example is that Marcus Brigstocke constantly gets accused of stealing a joke that he actually did come up with first.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Brigstocke#Pac-Man_joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Comedians are really touchy about this, ridiculously so IMO, as nobody really cares except for themselves. And it's very easy to accidentally steal a joke, as mentioned original thought is almost impossible. It doesn't mean that someone deliberately ripped them off.

But accidentally using someone else's joke and copying it almost word for word shamelessly without acknowledgement are two different things!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lots of the old comedians had notebooks to write down their jokes in, for copyright 'n safekeeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Thank god nobody copies "Sil's" material!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Fair play AH, could have seen this degrade into who stole who's jokes from who's posts.
    Then it would be off to the DOME for 'conflict resolution'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    But accidentally using someone else's joke and copying it almost word for word shamelessly without acknowledgement are two different things!

Look, I agree in theory. Stealing is wrong. Having been ripped off myself by businesses, competitors and so on, I know how much it hurts seeing people make money off an idea while you don't. But it happens, and no amount of moaning on their parts will stop it. Plus they also have to realise that protecting your ideas are part of retaining their value. So, imo, stand-ups should see it as an occupational hazard, work on protecting their best stuff as best as they can and just pride themselves on being able to constantly come up with quality new material instead.

You watch that Joe Rogan video, for example (and I like Rogan), and do you not just think that's all very petty? Sitting backstage bitching about this guy stealing from them? Then interrupting his show to confront him? If I was in that crowd, I'd be pissy that I'd paid to see two professionals squabble on stage instead of a show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

has anyone said the michael mcintyre jews one
    i dont want to nick someone elses post oh, lol.
    but there was some blatant robbery there or maybe some mere borrowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

has anyone said the michael mcintyre jews one

What was that?

Advertisement