Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Works of Genius in Christian Art

• 21-06-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

Average paintings are like average poems, they may be well intentioned and well crafted but, unless we are the artist, they tend to leave us somewhat bored.
    It takes a work of genius to blast us out of our ennui. There tend to be two types, paintings created by geniuses like Caravaggio and then an interesting second type; paintings created by talented artists who, for some reason, really create a masterpiece better then their usual work.
    I found another one tonight painted by a talented but not especially famed painter, Aime Morot. It's called The Good Samaritan and it's a brilliant forceful work. I was drawn to it because the Samaritan looks like St Peter in Caravaggio's painting of St Peter's upside down cruxifixion. The Samaritan has a similar expression, similar tired old stomach muscles, even the worn out feet are beautifully and meticulously crafted.
    The body of the victim from Jerusalem is posed in the famous tradition of the Pieta, very similar to Daniele Crespi's painting but better known in Michelangelo's sculpture.
    Monsieur Morot also painted a cruxifixion painting which is outstanding even though it's an image which has probably been painted more than any other in the history of the world.

It's getting late so I've lazily not linked to any of the pictures mentioned but if you've made it this far I'm sure you can find the images quite quickly on google. If you have any trouble just let me know and I'll link to them. I'll try to improve my post by posting up the picture tomorrow.

Please feel free to add to this thread with specific paintings that are outstanding in their genre. Tell us why it speaks to you.
    One final question, does anyone know of a painting of Christ eating broiled fish after the Resurrection? I'm not sure if one exists.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Is it possible to upload a pic from my computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Right I think I've uploaded. I seen this pic most recently ( today actually ) with the words of St.Isacc the Syrian:

“O wonder! The Creator clothed in a human being enters the house of tax collectors and prostitutes. Thus the entire universe, through the beauty of the sight of him, was drawn by his love to the single confession of God, the Lord of all.” - St. Isaac the Syrian

A modern interpretation of Jesus 'The Creator clothed in a human being enters the house of tax collectors and prostitutes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

My all-time favourite artist is Greg Olsen, below is just a tiny example of the wonderful work he's done.

olsenc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Check out the Prodigal Son/Daughter scultupes by Charlie Mackesy.

Actually, check out any work by Charlie Mackesy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I always like the artist El Greco :
    214px-El_Greco_-_View_of_Toledo_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
    - BTW, I'm always maladroit about uploading images :) , see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_of_Toledo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Any discussion of artistic genius should include Salvador Dali: 300px-Christ_of_Saint_John_of_the_Cross.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Was about to link to the Dali one myself, amazing perspective and surprising intensity. Dali can be too clever at times but that one works.
    Doc, that is a super painting,love the way the Samaritan is looking straight at me/you.

So much religious art veers towards this;
    Thomas%20Kinkade%20Nativity%20Figure-thumb-400x400.jpg

Some people even like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Average paintings are like average poems, they may be well intentioned and well crafted but, unless we are the artist, they tend to leave us somewhat bored.

Loved the Morot Samaritan, not so much the crucifixion. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

The genius of this is well... pure genius.

Interactive 3D tour of the sistine chapel, zoom in and out, rotate for the ceiling walls and floor etc. Gorgeous.

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I only have intermittent access to boards on my phone for the next few days but I appreciate the replies and look forward to discussing lesser known artworks of amazing grace maybe next week, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Christ in Glory by Graham Sutherland housed at Coventry Cathedral. 75 foot x 35 foot and woven as a single piece. Mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Guitar_Monkey

Quite fond of Bouguereau myself.

Advertisement