Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Are You Sorry?

• 21-06-2012 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

I used to be terrible for apologising, I would be racked with guilt if I thought I had wronged or inconvenienced someone, to the point of not sleeping at night.

But not anymore. I learned a long time ago that the past is the past, even of it's just a few seconds ago, and what's done cannot be undone, 'sorry' is just another word. The present and the future are what you can influence, concentrate on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Im sorry I read that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

D1stant wrote: »
    Im sorry I read that

P.S I had my first sexy dream about Wendy James:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I never apolgize Lisa. I'm sorry but that's just the way I'm am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm sorry people feel the need to use After Hours as a shrink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Apologizing is a sign of weakness. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Apologizing is a sign of weakness. Fact.

Only if you don't know how to turn an apology to your advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Where To wrote: »
    I used to be terrible for apologising, I would be racked with guilt if I thought I had wronged or inconvenienced someone, to the point of not sleeping at night.

But not anymore. I learned a long time ago that the past is the past, even of it's just a few seconds ago, and what's done cannot be undone, 'sorry' is just another word. The present and the future are what you can influence, concentrate on them.

:confused:....Ahem....The news today: Local person is philosophical about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ger10

Skip this.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I'm sorry people feel the need to use After Hours as a shrink.

Couldn't resist :pac: The lyrics of this song convey my response eloquently.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

ger10 wrote: »
    D1stant wrote: »
    Im sorry I read that

Sick of smart arses. I logged in just to tell you that, your comment isnt funny and you need to learn some respect. If you dont like the thread, move on! The op is has something to say, listen or go away.
    Im sorry thats the response you got

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Where To wrote: »

Couldn't resist :pac: The lyrics of this song convey my response eloquently.

Top song, top response.

Lollers wrote: »
    Top song, top response.
    I hear ya!

Only if you don't know how to turn an apology to your advantage.

Also even if the apology is really self-directed don't let that come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I had a tendency to say sorry all the time, even if I wasn't in the wrong. For instance, if someone bumped into me - it being their own fault - I'd usually pre-empt their apology with my own "sorry", just automatically without really thinking. So then, frustratingly, it would look like I was to blame. Nowadays I just stay indoors where I'm safe from bodily collisions and blurting out inappropriate and idiotic sorrys.

I had a tendency to say sorry all the time, even if I wasn't in the wrong. For instance, if someone bumped into me - it being their own fault - I'd usually pre-empt their apology with my own "sorry", just automatically without really thinking. So then, frustratingly, it would look like I was to blame. Nowadays I just stay indoors where I'm safe from bodily collisions and blurting out inappropriate and idiotic sorrys.
    The next time someone bumps into you just look them straight in the eye, smile, and say

'Oh my, I do believe we have had a coming together, let's just put this incident behind us and get on with on our lives'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not a patch on the original

^^^^^^

Come on in lads pull up a pew
    We have a little work to do
    Don't just sit there feeling sorry
    It's better to be honky dory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'm sorry, Charlie Murphy, it was an accident. I was having too much fun. I offer you a truce. The stickiest of the icky. You want to smoke with the old boy Rick James?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wish people wouldn't say "sorry" when they really mean "excuse me". If someone's in your way, and you need to get past them, it's not your fault and you have no reason to be saying "sorry". :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I think that's different though...that "sorry" in that context is more of an "excuse me" and I think that just makes things more civilised. You're not actually asking them for their forgiveness. Here in Spain there's none of that...they just shout at each other and get all resentful and peed off and walk off muttering under their breaths. Serious anger issues here in Madrid. Makes me look like a Zen Buddhist in comparison. I think this system works much better in Ireland. It's just manners and makes things a little easier for everyone.

I apologise when I know I'm wrong, which is a fair bit and I mean it when I say it. Sometimes I apologise just to keep the peace because I'm fed up with the arguing. I don't mean it but It's just a word and varies in meaning depending on the context.

Someone who can admit their wrong shows strength of character in my opinion.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

Someone who can admit their wrong shows strength of character in my opinion.
    Admitting you're wrong doesn't change anything though.

You can compensate for a wrong you have done on someone, you can't take it back.

Advertisement