Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for full grown frogs!

Options
  • 21-06-2012 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,
    I'm looking for A few adult frogs,
    My little brother is fascinated by frogs but even though he is 11, he has never seen one,
    I'd love to catch a few and let him find them in the back garden, he'd be so excited, he's out most evenings looking but no luck,
    He won't be allowed keep them, but I'm sure he'll do everything he can do to get them to settle in his garden pond!

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Anywhere in Dublin or surrounding county's is fine

Frogs from a petshop are €10-15 but they won't survive in the wild, so I would pay that for Irish frogs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

well there a protected species so you cant legally disturb them from there natural habitat. bring him to the zoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevbyrne123

well there a protected species so you cant legally disturb them from there natural habitat. bring him to the zoo!!

You surely remember when you were a kid, finding creatures in the garden and trying to make a little home for them!
    Same as, but he is in a town now so missed out on the country experiance,
    I am aware of the legality! But thanks,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Last place i remember seeing them was along the banks of the broadmeadow river in Swords..the area is called Kilmessan i think.

When i say i "saw them" i mean it actually seemed to be raining them,they were thumbnail-sized and in thier hundreds.

Bull Island also has a good stock of frogs but its a nature preserve so maybe best not to go there.

Degsy wrote: »

Bull Island also has a good stock of frogs but its a nature preserve so maybe best not to go there.

Ha ha, yeah maybe not there then,
    I'm kinda hoping someone will have an abundance of them in their garden and want rid of a few!
    They are rare on mainland Europe, but plentiful in Ireland seemingly, it is a European law that protects them here

Still hopefully someone can help,
    I looked into a pet shop, but the little frogs you'd buy there wouldn't survive in the wild and they are €10-15 each,
    I'd pay that for Irish frogs, but not to have them die shortly after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Degsy wrote: »

I'm kinda hoping someone will have an abundance of them in their garden and want rid of a few!
    They are rare on mainland Europe, but plentiful in Ireland seemingly, it is a European law that protects them here

I looked into a pet shop, but the little frogs you'd buy there wouldn't survive in the wild and they are €10-15 each,

I don't know if you'd call Finland "mainland Europe" but I see frogs regularly in my garden and hopping across the road on rainy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

if your looking to buy frogs , theirs a great variaty availble to buy as pets ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My girlfriend has about 30 frogs in the back garden pond and about 100 tadpoles too.

Facinating indeed,and the noise of them at dusk is funny too.:D

antocann wrote: »

if your looking to buy frogs , theirs a great variaty availble to buy as pets ,

Thanx yeah I have looked into them,
    Tiny little fire belly toads, mad looking pacman toads and dangerous cane toads,
    None of which will survive in a garden pond!

I know I'm doing a pet shop out of a few quid, but I did try,

Thanx anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

As someone said already it's illegal to remove frogs from their habitat, which means that you can't get one from someone who has them in their garden, and you can't catch them in the wild to release in your garden. Where you live is more than likely not suitable for frogs if there are none around, and releasing one into your garden may well spell death for the frog, assuming that it hadn't died from the shock and stress of capture.

It'd be a better option to find out what would be a likely frog habitat, pack a lunch, and go off looking for them for the day. You could get a guide to Irish plants and animals and make notes on all the different things you see. I loved doing that kind of thing when I was that age. Remember though; take only photos, leave only footprints :)

I appreciate your comments,
    As I said above, I do know the legal situation, and forgive me, but it does not concerned me, there is no harm in what I have in mind, but Fairplay for pointing that out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I appreciate your comments,
    As I said above, I do know the legal situation, and forgive me, but it does not concerned me, there is no harm in what I have in mind, but Fairplay for pointing that out!

What you have in mind is causing harm. The law is there for a reason, if your garden was a suitable habitat for frogs, you'd have some already. It's not, so releasing frogs there could cause them harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, discussion of illegal activity and particularly seeking advice on how do go about doing something illegal is not permitted on this site.

Plenty of alternative options have been put to you, I suggest you look into those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement