Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie in IPB....

Options
  • 21-06-2012 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello,

As I just seen a thread located here asking for boards.ie to move to IPB,

I also think it would be great, the current forum software (VB 3.7 or 3.8 or whatever the old crap it is, its very dirty and grubby.
    It looks awful and very outdated.. And remember as he said it is 2012.

IPB is amazing and the owner of this board should even try it out.
    Switching over to the new IPB (3.3.x + ) will make a huge difference to boards.ie .

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

What we're running is a significantly modified version of vBulletin. There's no way we're moving over to any other forum software - no phpBB, no vBulletin 4+, no IPB, no XenForo - nothing. We are building our own platform, it's already being used in several places here on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Why don't you ask the Psychics on TV3 if it will ever happen. Let's see how good they are ...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ambient.air

What we're running is a significantly modified version of vBulletin. There's no way we're moving over to any other forum software - no phpBB, no vBulletin 4+, no IPB, no XenForo - nothing. We are building our own platform, it's already being used in several places here on boards.ie.

Well done, its very easy to edit some templates... big deal... not much of a difference...

oh well, if boards.ie is really going to stay like this for the rest of its life, well sure yeah.. whatever...

have a fun day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

Well done, its very easy to edit some templates... big deal... not much of a difference...

oh well, if boards.ie is really going to stay like this for the rest of its life, well sure yeah.. whatever...

have a fun day ;)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

what?!?!?onetyone! i didnt know changing to IPB would mean no more spammers / shills / sock puppets / trench warfare.... awww Daaaanny can we abandon this platform that has served us so well for so long and forget about the work the devs have put in so far to develope our own platform specifically tailored to suit the needs of boards.ie systems and users? I mean, there's an out-of-the-box solution right there, ready for us to plug-n-play! I'm sure we'd get a much improved level of usefulness out of it on the exact same hardware only with added super cool graphics n go fast stripes without any need to re-do all the work that has been done over the last 10 years to make this place actually do what its expected to do.

seriously ambient.air , thats your response when a dev of a website rejects a pitch to move to a commercial 3rd party product, you belittle whats been done so far and ignore the part about building our own platform.

IPB does look nice and I'm sure it has its benefits and features but I dont think it will run boards.ie without some serious Dev time involved. I think you'd find that by "heavily modified version of VBulletin" they dont mean a change of font style here and a custom graphic or two there.

• Advertisement

have a fun day ;)

Your question was answered, there was no need to give a spiteful remark like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

have a fun day ;)

Let's not descend into bulletin board fanboyism - I've tried them all (UBB/wwwthreads, phpBB, IPB, vBulletin, SM, XenForo etc) over many many years; boards are my "thing". A forum is nothing without activity, members and content, and we've got plenty here to keep any software under pressure. You can find more information about some planned development for Boards.ie in some of my earlier posts, it's not just a "template change".

Use boards.ie, don't use boards.ie, stick around for the new boards.ie or leave now since we're not going to IPB; the decision is yours.

Your question has been answered :)

Danny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement