Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route Galway City to Carrick on Shannon

Options
  • 21-06-2012 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi google maps is giving me two options for this route

1. Out N17 to milltown the across country through Williamstown to Carrick
    2. Out M6 to Athlone the head north via Roscommon & Elfin to Carrick

Both are showing up roughly the same time wise with option being the shorter. Just wondering if anybody has done the trip recently and might have an opinion on the best route.

Chees

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did it a while back, go the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Roscommon way is best but drive safely - roads are not the may west!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The last time I was in Carrick I came through Ballymoe & Menlough (cross country) - not something I'd recommend if you don't know where you're going.

Personally I'd advise N63 to Roscommon & N61 from there, if for no other reason that it's an easy navigation exercise.
    macgabhs wrote: »
    1. Out N17 to milltown the across country through Williamstown to Carrick

As an alternative, I've done Cloonfad (on N83) to Athlone via Roscommon a few times and the road isn't particularly bad between Cloonfad & Ballymoe.

If you feel comfortable driving back roads my suggestion would be to go:
    Tuam -> Dunmore -> Cloonfad -> Williamstown

From Williamstown you've two options:
    Ballymoe -> Tulsk -> Boyle -> Carrick along the N61
    or
    Castlerea -> Frenchpark -> Boyle -> Carrick along the R361
    macgabhs wrote: »
    2. Out M6 to Athlone the head north via Roscommon & Elfin to Carrick

You're not saving any time going by the motorway, you'll get to Roscommon along the N63 in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just did that route last weekend. Let the GPS guide me which took me on R360 / 361 / 370. All in all the roads aren't bad but there are a couple hairpin turns to watch out for and also a bit of flooding (last friday) so some roads were closed. I think it was when we were trying to get on the 370 we had to find a detour. But that's probably all cleared up now. Lucky for me I just told the gps to find an alternative route... no thinking required!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Claregalway/Mountbellew/Roscommon/Elfin/Carrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Cheers for the replies folks I'll let ye know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

A route I drive regularly being from that general neck of the woods.

If you want the absolute quickest route then....

Galway - Tuam - Dunmore - Williamstown - Castlerea - Bellanagare/Ballinagare (spelt both ways) - Elphin - Carrick on Shannon

The 7mile road from Castlerea to Ballinagare is a bit narrower then normal, in that it has no center line down the middle. Its still grand to drive though, you can pass another car coming against you safely etc. Just take your time. Out from that its standard two lane road all the way and is fine to drive. A few patches are rough but no more so then any other Irish roads.

It is by far and away the quickest route from having driven up and down it for the last 15 years that I've been living in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Galway - Tuam - Dunmore - Williamstowm - Ballymoe - Ballintubber -

Castleplunket - Tulsk - Elphin - Carrick On Shannon.

The route I always use supporting our Football Teams over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭phoenix99

Claregalway -> Tuam -> Dunmore -> Williamstown -> Castlerea -> Frenchpark -> Boyle -> Carrick, should take under 2 hours.

On a slightly separate issue, does anyone know is there any buses that go direct from galway to carrick (i.e no changeovers and waiting at other stops for a connection)

Advertisement