Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings and Rude EAs

Options
  • 21-06-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭

Need to rant and hear other peoples experiences

Went to see an old house the other day, needs a lot of work, guiding bit above what I would expect but not priced out of it. Great location but like I said needs a lot of work.
    EA is local guy, on in years but has a nice name.

He arrives, introduces himself, tells us nothing about the property, walked us through the place (at a quick pace walk), didn't try to promote anything about it, told us lots have come to see it in the week it has been for sale and an offer is already in close to the asking price.
    And at the end of it, just says thanks and bye..........

I always thought that EAs should at least try and sell you the house!!

Any similar experiences??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

he was trying by telling you he has an offer in the making, they actually think that that is going to make you panic and if you really want it put in an offer then you can bid against the imaginary person and even outbid them, its what they did in the boom time and most of these idiots haven't adjusted to the market these days

if you like it and its for you then make an offer but no where near the asking and dont let him fool you into bidding against yourself either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I was thinking that and if it is a real bidder, then they are welcome to it at that price to be honest. I thought the whole viewing of the house was appalling as if he didn't want to show it to us.

Just told this story to a friend and he had a similar experience last month, EA was at wrong house in the estate and then gave out to him for wasting her time etc etc. You'd think they would be doing everything for business. What also surprises me is that they don't suss out more about us and then tell us about all their other wonderful properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Oh I agree completely, however they where arrogant weasels a few years ago and I think they still are and EA are a certain type of people, think Ross O'Carroll Kellys EA friend in the books and I think Paul Howard hit the nail on the head tbh, flash with cotton wool as brains and condescending to boot...

I do hope you find a better quality of EA in your search, is there anyway you could make a complaint to his office about his attitude, it may do nothing but at least it will make you feel as if you actually did something

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be honest if an EA was acting like that when showing me a house I would assume that there is an awful lot about the place that they are trying to hide and done want me to see/ask about.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

He sounds like most EAs in this country to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

no point in complaining because a) he owns the agency b) he wasn't rude or unprofessional, just that his viewing wasn't a viewing. He told us it could be lived in straight away and then told us it needed a lot of work and the location is worth the price. Being honest, he couldn't figure me out and wanted to play all his cards in the hope he would provoke me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheDriver wrote: »
    Went to see an old house the other day, needs a lot of work

<snip>

He arrives, introduces himself, tells us nothing about the property, walked us through the place (at a quick pace walk), didn't try to promote anything about it
    Seems he acknowledges that it's a hole, but showed you the house as you wanted to view it. Probably didn't promote it as there either was nothing to promote, or he didn't know of any features to promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

TheDriver wrote: »
    no point in complaining because a) he owns the agency b) he wasn't rude or unprofessional, just that his viewing wasn't a viewing. He told us it could be lived in straight away and then told us it needed a lot of work and the location is worth the price. Being honest, he couldn't figure me out and wanted to play all his cards in the hope he would provoke me.

A local EA told my wife at a house viewing before (totally unprompted I might add) that if she thought the price was too dear it was only cause she couldn't afford it. Place was a ****hole. Said EA (privately owned) and colleagues constantly use lines of "sure that's too dear for you" etc. They seem to come from the hard knocks school of sales where they some how still think it's a good idea to push buttons etc. by insulting you. Not a chance they'll ever ring you to follow up.

We try to stay clear of them. However bizarrely enough they seem to be the EA that is selling the most in the area and surrounds.

Remember though EA's are professionals (loose term I know). Both buyers and sellers are novices. Thread carefully and always be tight lipped with information.

Advertisement