Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Thread Split] Building regulations

• 21-06-2012 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Victor wrote: »
    It's illegal to do so. You can be made rectify it, fined and possibly jailed.

Future buyers will use it to force a lower price as it will taint the property.

Sorry, can you please state which law, building regulation or Approved Document would be breached?

For my situation I would like to make the downstairs of an Irish property "open plan" that would leave the kitchen open to the living area, and the under stairs WC openi g onto this space.
    In the UK this has not been against the building regulations for many decades... But I don't know the Irish situation.

I do know that Ireland uses "approved documents" with a similar lettering system to England. Approved Document E in both countries is acoustics "resistance to the passage of dound". The Irish document is s direct paraphrase of the 1990's English one. (last I looked there was a new one being written in Ireland, England got a new one in 2003).

In Engla.d it is almost impossible to be prossecuted for breach of the building regulations.... But they're considering changing that. (they being labour were.. the Torys are considering sacking all the building inspectors and hoping that builders will do things right out of their good will and great reputaton for competence)

Comments

Advertisement