Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To old to start Triathlon training?

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Im looking to get into a new sport,something different.

Im a 26 year old male,and for the past few years have become a keen runner.

Triathlons are always something that have interested me,but until now ive never though about doing something about it,ive played alot of soccer over the years but ive lost interest and think something new and fresh would be a great thing.

By mid-20s most people playing sports or entering various events have been at it for a few years and it can be a real pain trying to learn the ins and outs of something different.

Anyone out there make a successful transition to Triathlons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I got into triathlon at the age of 33 having done nothing prior for a decade or so. If 26 is old then i am screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

IMHO, a lot of people get into triathlon in an attempt to bridge from a time when they were playing team sports, followed by a period of inactivity.

For me, I was 30 or so, with a decade of pub life behind me and realised I needed to get back into something.

If I started at 20, I could have been a contender!:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I lolled at 26 years being too old. :)

I took up running age 36, having never done any sport and feck all fitness before. I took up tri at 38. I will never get a podium finish (unless Im 65 - very little competition in that AG ;) ). But tri is doable at any age, and many (in fact maybe most!) take it up far older than you. At 26, if youre committed, you'll do very well.

The best stat I ever heard related to age was to do with running, where I read that a runner of a particular ability at age 19 will, all else being equal, peak at 27, but only decline to the level he was at at age 19, when he is in his 60's.

Youve YEARS yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Thanks for the replys.

Looks like i got my answer!

Now to find a club start looking into it abit more.There is a local club but i dont know anyone in it but its worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I got into triathlon at the age of 33 having done nothing prior for a decade or so. If 26 is old then i am screwed.

he said "successful"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Define successful...

Im looking to get into a new sport,something different.

Triathlons are always something that have interested me,but until now ive never though about doing something about it,ive played alot of soccer over the years but ive lost interest and think something new and fresh would be a great thing.

By mid-20s most people playing sports or entering various events have been at it for a few years and it can be a real pain trying to learn the ins and outs of something different.

Anyone out there make a successful transition to Triathlons?

I started triathlon at 24. I "ran" for 6 months and then decided to do a triathlon. First things first I had to learn to swim.

I was rather unfit before this (proof) and if I can go from that to taking part in triathlons regularly then someone fit and healthy at 26 certainly can.

Jump in and do one. Join a club, just make sure you know alot about the club before you join!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I started at 33, i wish i had started at 26.........but alas i loved the couch too much back then:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    he said "successful"

I am building a base, it takes a few years. Give me time:)

Is that really you in the photo, fook me:eek:

I am building a base, it takes a few years. Give me time:)

Is that really you in the photo below, fook me:eek:

Just more of me to love (15.5st of me)

15.5st to 10.5st - might explain why glenda pushes me to get back training. Speaking of which interesting blog to come............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »
    I lolled at 26 years being too old. :)

I took up running age 36, having never done any sport and feck all fitness before. I took up tri at 38. I will never get a podium finish (unless Im 65 - very little competition in that AG ;) ). But tri is doable at any age, and many (in fact maybe most!) take it up far older than you. At 26, if youre committed, you'll do very well.

The best stat I ever heard related to age was to do with running, where I read that a runner of a particular ability at age 19 will, all else being equal, peak at 27, but only decline to the level he was at at age 19, when he is in his 60's.

Youve YEARS yet. :)

Well thats my plan anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I was in almost the exact same position. Played football, soccer and basketball in my teens. Then soccer in my 20's up to 27 when I gave it up due to frustration with injuries and lack of commitment from team mates and therefore lack of silverware, although we did win Roscommon & District League Div 1 once :D I was always a bit jealous of friends of mine involved in Handball, they only had themselves to rely on. I always thought that if involved in an individual sport I'd not let myself down and if I did there would be only myself to blame. A mate of mine had been doing tri's for years so I started to learn to swim in Oct 2008 and did first tri in May 2009. Haven't looked back since, 30+ tri's done since. I had stated running when I was 25 but nothing significant.

26 too old? Go away outta that! Get started, read plenty and ask plenty of questions, when asking questions let on you know absolutely nothing :) I actually joined a running club first, then a swimming club and a cycling club. Only last year a tri club. I was of the opinion, run with runners, bike with bikers etc... I think it stood to me well, asking all those questions and observing a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just more of me to love (15.5st of me)

pah, 15.5 stone is nothing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

I started last year at 33 after doing nothing in my 20's and feel better than i did when i was a really fit teenager

Chrissie Wellington is 35 & Craig Alexander is 38

That gives you about 10 years+ to become ironman world champion

plenty of time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I was in almost the exact same position. Played football, soccer and basketball in my teens. Then soccer in my 20's up to 27 when I gave it up due to frustration with injuries and lack of commitment from team mates and therefore lack of silverware, although we did win Roscommon & District League Div 1 once :D I was always a bit jealous of friends of mine involved in Handball, they only had themselves to rely on. I always thought that if involved in an individual sport I'd not let myself down and if I did there would be only myself to blame. A mate of mine had been doing tri's for years so I started to learn to swim in Oct 2008 and did first tri in May 2009. Haven't looked back since, 30+ tri's done since. I had stated running when I was 25 but nothing significant.

26 too old? Go away outta that! Get started, read plenty and ask plenty of questions, when asking questions let on you know absolutely nothing :) I actually joined a running club first, then a swimming club and a cycling club. Only last year a tri club. I was of the opinion, run with runners, bike with bikers etc... I think it stood to me well, asking all those questions and observing a lot too.

Very similar situation to me!.

Sound like your really enjoying it,at 30+ triathlons you must be!

Ive been swimming all my life,nothing competively or anything but i do love it along with running so hence my interest in Triathlon,its the cycling that i find a small bit scary - i know very little about bikes apart from the fact that they can be very expensive,its defiently something im going to have to learn more about.

Very similar situation to me!.

Sound like your really enjoying it,at 30+ triathlons you must be!

Ive been swimming all my life,nothing competively or anything but i do love it along with running so hence my interest in Triathlon,its the cycling that i find a small bit scary - i know very little about bikes apart from the fact that they can be very expensive,its defiently something im going to have to learn more about.

He was/is a cheating fcvking cvnt. But he was right about "its not about the bike". Its about the engine!

He was/is a cheating fcvking cvnt. But he was right about "its not about the bike". Its about the engine!

Eh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Eh? :confused:
    Lance Armstrong. "It's not about the bike"

Ya that's what I thought but....anyway it makes sense now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Too old to start...

Chr!st I hope not. I'm 41 and doing my first (Olympic) Tri at DCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 rabnif

I'm 47 - I did my first Tri in Athlone last year (sprint) and am doing my first ever olympic in Hell Of The West in Kilkee tomorrow and have signed up for the IM70.3 in Galway in Sept.
    I started doing a bit of running at about age 35 and did Dublin marathon twice but moved to Tri as I was getting issues running 6 days a week. The spread of stresses on the body is much better in Tri and I (touch wood) don't get injured as much.
    26 - you're only a cub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Ya that's what I thought but....anyway it makes sense now :)

I'll be honest, I did think Tunney was having a go at you for cheating at first. Like taking a different road on a club TT or something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I got into triathlon at the age of 41. Do i get a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

took part in my firt tri in hell of the west as part of relay team (bike) have decided to go back next year and do it all (44 and 45 is creeping up fast :D)

Advertisement