Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help setting up Apple TV

• 21-06-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. I have an ipad 2 and just bought Apple TV. I have the apple tv set up on the wifi and have been able to watch youtube etc. I can also see some of my photos from my ipad. I am not able to set up mirroring at all. When I go to the main menu on ipad and scroll over down the bottom I can see the control box but there is no airplay icon displayed at all. Does anyone know where I am going wrong. Appreciate any help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Could you possibly take a screenshot of this and post it? press home key + lock button at the same time to take a screenshot. To me it sounds like it could just be that the iPad needs to be updated/ restored. Can you test it on another ipad?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Hope I have done this right, thanks for help

I think I know the issue, ATV2's originally didn't support airplay mirroring, you will have to update it to get it supported via iPads. Also, the first gen iPad doesn't support this (it doesn't apply to you but it might to others who stumble across this thread)

So, just update your ATV, your iPad and ensure they both are on the same wireless network.

Thanks for that. The AT2 updated yesterday and I have double checked the ipad for updates and it says it is 5.1.1 and that that is the current version - am I doing that right? I am syncing ipad with my computer for what its worth.

And what version is the ATV2 on? Can you make sure that both devices are on the same wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I've seen this happen with my 4s and my ATV, basically both devices dont know airplay is available, even though its switched on.

The solution i found was to go into youtube in the iphone or ipad and start playing videos.... if the airplay icon doesnt appear, exit and retry. keep trying till you get the icon. when you do send it to the ATV. as soon as you get it playing on the ATV stop the video and exit out. go back to the app launcher and the airplay/mirroring control should be there.

Tried that loads of times after reading your post but no joy - was speaking with apple and they are telling me to open ports on my modem. Still have to figure this out as neither apple nor Vodafone will help me do it grrr. It's very strange

sounds like you need to do something like port forwarding. head to portforward.com for tutorials. but its weird, you shouldnt have to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

What type of router are you using? There was problems with the zyzel eircom routers for a longtime until they updated the firmware..... If you do a search you will see many posts about it....

Thanks for replies, spent ages last night doing port forwarding but still no joy. The router is a Zyxel, I will google that now. I wonder is it possible to update it or am I looking at getting a new router. I have another one in the house, wonder if I should try using that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

what is the other router that you have? Is it a netopia? If so use that as a test so that you know that mirroring is working for you and that the problem is with the router.... I think you can download the firmware and then just upload it to the router... Not sure of the link to the firmware but a search on boards will find it i'm sure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

Have you turned on the AirPlay setting within the Apple TV settings screen, don't worry about setting password for it.

Also just make sure you have home sharing turned on even though it sounds as you do because you are able to see photostream pics on the Apple TV already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Those Zyxel routers from Eircom had loads of these issues, and the update they sent put was a config file I think called noSNMPsnoop or something and it did not resolve the issue fully.
    Another router would solve the issue

totally forgot about eircoms shoddy routers! i'd recommend a new router, the best you can afford.

Yes have airplay on TV. The other modem is a motorola (wimax), not sure if I'll be going from bad to worse there. I also have an older motorola (eircom) modem. Am considering switching to UPC broadband - wonder if there router is any better? Really don't want to spend any more money on this. My son has just bought an itouch 4 today and again there is no sign of airplay on this device either grrr.

This is definitely a router/ port forwarding issue so. The upc modem itself isn't great, but the upc connection speed is brilliant. I'd highy recommend getting upc and then getting a new router to add onto the upc modem, have a look at the cisco e4200. It's what I have, the range is outstanding and so is the connection speed. But you could just get the cisco router on it's on and just add it to your existing zyxel modem.

Grand think that's what I'll do so. Thanks for your help

Advertisement