Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

annagh strand walk,,achill island

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hi all i couldnt find a trekking section in this so i put it in mayo,,,i would be so interested in walking to annagh strand,,looks absolutely amazing

so where do i park the car for starting point

how long does it take to walk etc

is it through about all the haunted stories that they say about it at night

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

hi all i couldnt find a trekking section in this so i put it in mayo,,,i would be so interested in walking to annagh strand,,looks absolutely amazing

so where do i park the car for starting point

how long does it take to walk etc

is it through about all the haunted stories that they say about it at night

cheers
    Firstly i would not be camping over night.
    Annagh is sometimes also referred to as 'The Back of Beyond' after an article of the same title by T. Barry in the Capuchin Annual (1973). It is a location rich in folklore and is the setting for many ghoulish stories involving ghosts and apparitions. Certainly those of a more superstitious disposition should avoid camping overnight in Annagh, as more than one such party has reported ghostly encounters. Among these stories is one involving a group of girls staying overnight in one of the booley huts in Annagh. During the night their dog was thrown in on top of them by an unknown figure. In folklore, the appearance or sighting of a figure is often a sign of impending death, and many of the stories of sightings at Annagh have this tragic outcome for the participants.

your going to have to park at keem bay and walk up from there.

Achill tourist info link http://www.achilltourism.com/annagh.html

I am from achill and its the first i heard about this place and ghostly goings on. although i am from the upper part of the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

parking near slievemore looks closer by the map

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Park at the deserted village, much closer than keem and you won't have to walk over a whole mountain to get to it that way either :)

Don't worry about the old ghosts either, only sheep to worry about in those parts of the island :D

thanks mick,,,,,,,,id say all that spooky stuff is bull,,,how l;ong would it take me from the deserted village

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Park at the deserted village, much closer than keem and you won't have to walk over a whole mountain to get to it that way either :)

Don't worry about the old ghosts either, only sheep to worry about in those parts of the island :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

looking at the OS map its about 4 or 5km, with a little bit of up hill. I'd say about a 1 hour walk give or take a little.

• Advertisement

looking at the OS map its about 4 or 5km, with a little bit of up hill. I'd say about a 1 hour walk give or take a little.

might have to go for a look myself, if the rain ever stops.

irishgeo wrote: »
    might have to go for a look myself, if the rain ever stops.

Yea I've only ever passed it by on the ridge over-looking it,never went down for a closer look. If you get a good day and stick your beach gear in a rucsack you might get it to yourself while keem and keel are thronging.

lads im planning to try and fish it ,,seriously

Yea I've only ever passed it by on the ridge over-looking it,never went down for a closer look. If you get a good day and stick your beach gear in a rucsack you might get it to yourself while keem and keel are thronging.

the ridge will do me

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

@sanbrafyffe, Did you manage to get to Annagh Strand? I'd be curious to see how you got on. I've always assumed it would be too steep lower down but I may very well be wrong as I have never gone down that far. If you are looking for a quiet beach, the one beyond the point at the far end of the Golden Strand in Dugort is usually deserted. Its very accessible so you wouldn't get your walk in (except the length of the Golden Strand) but it is good for a lazy couple of hours if we get the weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Interested to see if anyone has done this walk. Have walked Croaghaun (from Lough Acorrymore) and Slievemore (Silver Strand->Deserted Village) independently and have also walked to the tower up by the Deserted Village.

Hoping to do a full walk (Silver Strand->Keem via the hills) next time I am down there and would love to take in Annagh. Not sure I'd be camping there though!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Interested to see if anyone has done this walk. Have walked Croaghaun (from Lough Acorrymore) and Slievemore (Silver Strand->Deserted Village) independently and have also walked to the tower up by the Deserted Village.

Hoping to do a full walk (Silver Strand->Keem via the hills) next time I am down there and would love to take in Annagh. Not sure I'd be camping there though!

Mod Note -> Please dont drag up old threads, I will leave this one, but for again don't post on old threads.

You've covered most of the ground before so, just give yourself plenty of time to do it and I would do it sooner rather than later before the days get any shorter. It's a long day and you're talking the guts of 1200m ascent and a distance of about 16km (I think).

If you start from lough accorymore you could still bag croaghaun and slievemore summits while taking a chunk off the amount of ascent and overall distance. The walk along the cliffs past achill head towards keem is lovely though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

You've covered most of the ground before so, just give yourself plenty of time to do it and I would do it sooner rather than later before the days get any shorter. It's a long day and you're talking the guts of 1200m ascent and a distance of about 16km (I think).

If you start from lough accorymore you could still bag croaghaun and slievemore summits while taking a chunk off the amount of ascent and overall distance. The walk along the cliffs past achill head towards keem is lovely though :)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it will probably be well into next year before I visit Achill again so daylight wont be a problem! It's on my 'bucket-list' for 2014. Absolutely love the coastline there and having read about Annagh recently, I'm intrigued with the location now and really want to pay the strand a visit.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it will probably be well into next year before I visit Achill again so daylight wont be a problem! It's on my 'bucket-list' for 2014. Absolutely love the coastline there and having read about Annagh recently, I'm intrigued with the location now and really want to pay the strand a visit.

If you want to look up online . bing maps have brilliant quality images.

Advertisement