Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scrap batteries

• 21-06-2012 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Cleaning up the yard this bad weather and I have a few old tractor batteries to dispose.

Anyone know what their scrap value is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ootbitb wrote: »
    Cleaning up the yard this bad weather and I have a few old tractor batteries to dispose.

Anyone know what their scrap value is?

Back end of last year I had a few to go and had Wilton's lorry round anyway... I think it was €15 each..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

pouladuff were giving 430 a tonne two months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

thanks both, beats giving them away as happened in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but same question again -

Do old scrap car and tractor batteries have any value now? I've a few to get rid of and wondering will scrap yards pay for them?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭doyleshill

I got 52 Euro , for 3 tractor and 5 car batteries (131 kg in weight )@ Galway Metal yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

doyleshill wrote: »
    I got 52 Euro , for 3 tractor and 5 car batteries (131 kg in weight )@ Galway Metal yesterday

They must have done me couple of weeks ago. Only got 45 yoyo for 9 batteries & a 42x18 cylinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thanks guys. I was in a recycling place today and they were charging €10 to recycle an electric fence battery. Just saw it on a sign.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

doyleshill wrote: »

I got 50 euro for 6 batteries a month ago in Mountmellick.
    3 643s , 1 622 long ford, 2 diesel car ones and a small petrol car battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I brought 4 batteries to Kilcock a few weeks ago and they were paying out €330 a ton for them. You wouldn't be long getting up to 50kg+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I brought 4 batteries to Kilcock a few weeks ago and they were paying out €330 a ton for them. You wouldn't be long getting up to 50kg+

Last time i send a few for scrap I got 52c/kg. It was a nice touch for the young fella he was looking in ditches for next six month.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thanks guys. I was in a recycling place today and they were charging €10 to recycle an electric fence battery. Just saw it on a sign.

Local recycling centre took them for free, well a €3 charge to get past barrier with a car and dump however many you liked. No lead in them so no money to be got for dry batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Local recycling centre took them for free, well a €3 charge to get past barrier with a car and dump however many you liked. No lead in them so no money to be got for dry batteries.

just bring them back to where you bought them. you already paid for recycling with the WEEE levy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

maybe now in the tougher times where money is tight and getting paid a few quid would be nice and buyers in dublin or south side areas that buy batteries,i wonder are cats going to the same place as nice getting a few bob more.

I have a few more and have to google to see whats in dublin and get rid of them while i have the chance.

o'reilly recycling ltd got E55 for 108Kg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

greasepalm wrote: »
    o'reilly recycling ltd got E55 for 108Kg

Do they have a weigh bridge or how is it done?
    And do they drain the battery acid before weighing?

Armadillo wrote: »
    Do they have a weigh bridge or how is it done?
    And do they drain the battery acid before weighing?

They place them in a strong plastic bin. In most recycling/scrap dealers they have a weighting scales which is set to a negative weight which equates to the bins weight. An empty bin would bring the scales to Zero. You put your battery's into the bin and weight them and are paid on that weight. They do not drain the batterys.

Slava Ukrainii

They unloaded batteries onto a weighing scale and no battery was drained as i had a car with only a few i could back up to it.
    Other lorries can drive onto the bridge and get weighed full and empty.
    Think the weighing scale is 6 foot x 6 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

I'm going to head over there tomorrow. I have 10 car batts and combined weight is about 160kg after I weighed them on home scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Anywhere around the midlands that recycle them...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

Snowfire wrote: »
    Anywhere around the midlands that recycle them...?

Hamond Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭DJ98

How do people get rid of old fencer batteries?

DJ98 wrote: »
    How do people get rid of old fencer batteries?

Local co-op they are recycled through WEE

Slava Ukrainii

http://hammondlane.ie/sell-non-ferrous-scrap-metals/
    I must check to see if they are closer to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Wilton waste Co Cavan will buy batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 9 quattroboy

Prices for batteries Feb 2021 In Galway Metal €300/tonne.
    Hammond Lane in Athlone €430/tonne.

As a rule Galway give the lowest prices for metals so if you have a lot to recycle call around beforehand.
    Bit of a dose finding out after you have emptied out!

Also, make sure the scales is at zero before you put anything on them, I have seen them being a bit "light" before but I'm sure that was an accident...

quattroboy wrote: »
    Prices for batteries Feb 2021 In Galway Metal €300/tonne.
    Hammond Lane in Athlone €430/tonne.

As a rule Galway give the lowest prices for metals so if you have a lot to recycle call around beforehand.
    Bit of a dose finding out after you have emptied out!

Also, make sure the scales is at zero before you put anything on them, I have seen them being a bit "light" before but I'm sure that was an accident...

Last time I sold batteries I got 53c/kg. So I would definately ting around. If they are priced at that I be holding onto them for the moment. I would never arrive into a scrap yard with stuff without asking the price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Last time I sold batteries I got 53c/kg. So I would definately ting around. If they are priced at that I be holding onto them for the moment. I would never arrive into a scrap yard with stuff without asking the price

Yep, you're a lamb to the slaughter without getting the price first. Last time I went they tried to sting me first on the scales and second with the price, right dodgy characters.
    A lad collects scrap near me n I just swap it with him now, I got acros and rsj's the last time.

A lad beside me cleared up the yard n filled the dump trailer. After hearing a few stories about the scrap yard he got weighed first at the grain merchants. Just over a ton less on the scrap yards scales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

enricoh wrote: »
    Yep, you're a lamb to the slaughter without getting the price first. Last time I went they tried to sting me first on the scales and second with the price, right dodgy characters.
    A lad collects scrap near me n I just swap it with him now, I got acros and rsj's the last time.

A lad beside me cleared up the yard n filled the dump trailer. After hearing a few stories about the scrap yard he got weighed first at the grain merchants. Just over a ton less on the scrap yards scales!

Did he call there bluff then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Local co-op they are recycled through WEE

that's good to know, I saw a notice at the entrance of a recycling plant, disposal el fence batteries weighing over 2kg €10 each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

that's good to know, I saw a notice at the entrance of a recycling plant, disposal el fence batteries weighing over 2kg €10 each

I saw those signs at recycling centres as well. Also charge you to take your scrap metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Did he call there bluff then?

Yeah he got the extra, god knows how many they get away with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Haners

I got €21 for 41kg of lead acid batteries in TD Euro Scrap Metal in Blanchardstown.

Advertisement