Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defaulting on student loan

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Just seen this mentioned on another website. Doesnt apply to me.
    If someone defaults on their student loans can their estate be touched?(if the mortgage was already paid or in the process of being paid).
    I assume ones credit rating would be affected but apart from that?
    The guy was going back to do dentistry aged 50,would be 200k in debt and said he would probably die before he managed to pay the loans back?
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

briankirby wrote: »
    Just seen this mentioned on another website. Doesnt apply to me.
    If someone defaults on their student loans can their estate be touched?(if the mortgage was already paid or in the process of being paid).
    I assume ones credit rating would be affected but apart from that?
    The guy was going back to do dentistry aged 50,would be 200k in debt and said he would probably die before he managed to pay the loans back?
    Thanks guys

Possibly but not easily.

I dont know much about these large student loans med students get but I will assume their is no property they are secured on. However there may be in case.

If the guy was still alive when defaulting he could be taken to court and have a judgment sought, more than like this would be granted. The banks could then apply for a judgment mortgage which secured the debt on the property, For a large debt the banks could force a sale of the property.

If the person passes away then the executer of the estate will deal with any outstanding debts from funds of the estate. Possibly life insurance will cover, unsure of this.

Advertisement