Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap sat nav

• 21-06-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

hi looking for a sat nav with european maps .dont want to spend more than 150 euro,which would be the cheapest shop to get one round limerick city,checked argos online,there seem to be pretty pricey.not sure if i have put this thread in right section,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

you will get great sat navs on ebay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Have you a smart phone? I have TomTom installed on mine and find it brilliant, it cost ~$50, just make sure you have data roaming turned off or it might cost a fortune in hidden costs.

Other wise, Harvey Norman or Maplins might be a good option, trying the Bargain Alerts section to see if you can get any tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

You're unlikely to do better than Halfords, much as I'd like to point you towards an Irish company.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

thanks might try halfords.i have smart phone but i havent found any tom tom app in the andoid market,cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Try Amazon, I got a Garmin nuvi 255 a couple of years ago with european maps for €100
    Plenty there in your price range

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=garmin+sat+nav&sprefix=garmin%2Caps%2C213

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The cheapest place to buy them is online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Harvey Norman Soundstore Currys all stock Sat Navs starting around the 100 euro mark for ireland uk and europoean mapping.

Avoids Halfords useless shower in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a Garmin or a TomTom.

They cost a little bit more than some of the very cheap ones, but they have map updates every year. The cheapo ones you either can't update, don't do updates, or have last years maps, and thus may missing a few of the newer opened motorways, such as the Limerick bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You can install co-pilot on your smartphone. It will cost you €45 with European Mapping, and save you having to remember to take the Sat-Nav off the windscreen whenever you leave the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Villa05

Have a tom tom, but now use google navigation on my samsung galaxy s 2. Excellent, but, roaming charges may make this a non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, there is a dedicated SAT NAV/GPS forum on boards also so the folks over there I'm sure can recommend a model and place to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

FSV upper williams street sell them...stock garmin and tom tom's as far as I know,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, there is a dedicated SAT NAV/GPS forum on boards also so the folks over there I'm sure can recommend a model and place to buy it.
    Here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=889

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ah, I see - I was presuming there was some "I want/need to buy it in Limerick angle"
    Obviously online is the cheapest way if there's no Limerick angle whatsoever.

On the subject of Halfords staff - what do they need to do as long as you've your homework done - scan the box and your discount code, take cash and give change?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

Got a Garmin Nuvi 1490 in Halfords a while back for around 150 eur. It has free lifetime Ireland,UK and Europe maps so seemed like pretty good value. Huge screen as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Try this site, I've purchased from them before and found them pretty good!

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/sat-nav-car-electronics/5-univers.html

Advertisement