Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Wifi Options

• 21-06-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

In my new build I use mobile broadband on a stick. There is a landline but eircom broadband is very slow. I have used both 02 and 3 and in general I find 02 to be a bit faster.

I was considering getting a wifi hotspot from 02 or 3 however I'm concerned as to how well they work.

The one room in my house where I will need the broadband to work (the office) I can't get a signal from 02 but 3 works. One room away the 02 signal is good (2MB/s download speed). The house is a block build. I am concerned that if I decide to go with 02 that the wifi modem won't be strong enough to get broadband in the office. Should I be concerned?

My other issue is that I have every room in the house wired with cat5e cables going back to a central hub but becuase the landline is currently so slow I can't get the benefit of this. Should I be considering other options such as buying a router and plugging my stick into it and then perhaps getting the benefit of the cables or perhaps a better wifi modem (are these any better than the 02/3 modems)??

I would appreciate any advice and also the types of modems I should consider buying and how to set them up to work optimally (i.e., to get the best signal)

Advertisement