Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Conversion course

Options
  • 21-06-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I am looking at doing a higher diploma IT conversion course in NUI Maynooth and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this course or something similar or if anyone can offer advice regarding the employability of graduates of courses like these. The course is an intensive 12 month course, designed to educate students to the level of a graduate of a 3 year degree course.

Im 30 years old and come from a completely non computers background. Id be hoping to be involved in programming and/or web development upon completion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 backtothe80s

Hi Joni - I've been really researching this course well over the past couple of months, kicking off when I attended the postgraduate evening in March. I have a degree in Geography from UCD all the way back in 2000 and this course came highly recommended from a couple of people I know through friends who completed it.

I've actually been offered a place on the course (which i happily accepted) and am currently reading some books on Java to help with the 3 week intensive programming course starting on 27th August. What really helped was speaking to the head of the dept. - a really nice bloke who was very engaging and interested in our conversation.

My aim to get really adept at java over the year and following the summer exams, get Java certified and then hopefully an entry level job somewhere as a programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Thanks backtothe80s, getting java certified and doing some reading up over the summer and sounds like a plan. Theres a few instruction vids about that too might help. The course sounds great although I imagine it'll be tough going even with the headstart. I got my application in today so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

synoasis wrote: »
    I am planning for the java exam. I just got myself registered with one of the links on website. Feeling little tensed, but time to pack up the books and romancing along with them.:)

I wouldn't mind getting a bit more info on where to do the java exam. Any chance you could post a link on here?

Advertisement