Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.2K to spend on gaming rig.

Options
  • 21-06-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I've got 1200 euro to spend on a new system, mostly for gaming. I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse headphones so just the box is all that I need.

This will probably be the last PC I buy for the next few years but I might be able to maybe get another graphics card to sli down the road, so the power supply would need handle both. I'm not much into over clocking either ^ ^.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-128gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-laptop-kit---free-norton-ghost-15-7SR9.html?src=15 Cheaper price on the SSD. Went down 3euro since I bought one so maybe keep watching the price and buy it about 3 days before your hardwareversand order is due to arrive to get it cheapest. It's coming from dabs so they do free delivery and it's relatively quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Wow lovely system! Even has an ssd, brilliant! The 670 looks like an awesome card.
    Thanks a lot S!

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-128gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-laptop-kit---free-norton-ghost-15-7SR9.html?src=15 Cheaper price on the SSD. Went down 3euro since I bought one so maybe keep watching the price and buy it about 3 days before your hardwareversand order is due to arrive to get it cheapest. It's coming from dabs so they do free delivery and it's relatively quick.

yeah, saw that yesterday, I'd much rather get all the components together unless the saving was huge, but thanks for the tip.

Do they put the PC together for you at hardwareversand?
    I've got an OS too, so that's not an issue.

yeah, saw that yesterday, I'd much rather get all the components together unless the saving was huge, but thanks for the tip.

Do they put the PC together for you at hardwareversand?
    I've got an OS too, so that's not an issue.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Service/746/Rechner+-+Zusammenbau.article

Putting it together is half the fun though ;)

• Advertisement

Just noticed there's no ram included, I also have a dvd writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

That all seems very expensive for just in i5 machine, im sure you could get an i7 for that amount, try some second hand stuff. And you dont need to spend 100 euro on a case, any old case would do unless you want to make it look good, you could easily pick up a decent case for 30 euro.

and you could getting a better card than spending 400 euro on that 670, there are better and cheaper ones around, even second hand. No one is going to see it inside the machine.

You could get a watercooled pc for that price mate, i seriously wouldnt spend over a grand on that spec.

Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Jordan537 wrote: »
    That all seems very expensive for just in i5 machine, im sure you could get an i7 for that amount, try some second hand stuff. And you dont need to spend 100 euro on a case, any old case would do unless you want to make it look good, you could easily pick up a decent case for 30 euro.

and you could getting a better card than spending 400 euro on that 670, there are better and cheaper ones around, even second hand. No one is going to see it inside the machine.

You could get a watercooled pc for that price mate, i seriously wouldnt spend over a grand on that spec.

Jordan.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for gaming he doesn't need the hyperthreading an i7 provides. Ivy i5 is plenty. GTX 670 is a phenomenal card. It's probably not the best price : performance card but it's top tier of graphics at the moment. If he has the dosh why not spend it? Watercooling won't improve performance in game, while a 670 will

Jordan.
    Why would you want an i7? The i5 is just as good for gaming. Second hand CPUs are a massive no-no for me, especially if you're going older-gen LGA1156 stuff, which have no future potential.

Show me a better card than the 670, price/performance, in a 1.2k build. The only other card(s) I'd consider would be the 7970 or maybe crossfired 7850s. I obviously didn't pick the card for looks, why would you think that? :confused:

That case is lovely. Might as well spend the money on quality.

By watercooled do you mean a closed loop CPU cooler like a H100? His choice really, but you won't get a custom GPU/CPU system into that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Jordan.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

-An i7 doesn't give any better performance in games over an i5. In some cases its actually worse. Hyperthreading is only useful for threaded apps, and there are very few games that use more than 2 core effectively, let alone 4.

-An overclocked ivy with a GTX 670, and possibly a second one in the future in a €30 case is ludicrous. Expensive cases cost more because they are quieter, cooler, have better construction quality, better cable management, more space. A €30 case like the Merc Beta is fine for a budget build with an i3+6870, but if you are spending €1000+ on a computer you want a decent case.

-The GTX 670 is one of the best value GPUs around, along with the 7870 and 7950. Read some reviews before talking rubbish. The extra fans on that particular model are for better cooling and increased overclocking, not just random bits of flashy plastic.

-Watercooling is overhyped and not particularly effective unless you want to drop €300+ on a decent custom loop. Please do spec a water cooled build for us, I'd love to see how much performance you get when you spend 25% of the budget on cooling.

The build skyline posted is spot on, apart from missing some RAM :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

Just because you have money, why spend it ? surely you want the best price possible.... you could get an i7 laptop for that price...........

erm.... i actually do no what im talking about and probably built alot more computers than any one you!

I'm saying that someone of the stuff that was listed you could get alot cheaper, all about getting the best for the least amount of money......

I'm very happy with the spec listed, but what about ram?
    Would that bring me over the budget?

Forgot RAM, that would be fun :pac:

Just because you have money, why spend it ? surely you want the best price possible.... you could get an i7 laptop for that price...........

erm.... i actually do no what im talking about and probably built alot more computers than any one you!

I'm saying that someone of the stuff that was listed you could get alot cheaper, all about getting the best for the least amount of money......

Why are you going on about a laptop? He doesn't want a laptop!

We've already been over the i7 thing, you seem to be basing your opinion on the reasoning that 7 > 5. Which is pointless, as the only thing they have over the i5 is hyperthreading, which games don't use.

I see we get a childish internet "my dad is harder than your dad" response too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The fact that you think ANY laptop will give better performance than the build skyline posted shows how little you know. Also putting together computers is not much more complicated than lego. I could work on an assembly line for Dell and build 50 computers a day, but it still wouldn't mean I know what I'm talking about. Keeping up with the latest releases, reading reviews, and actually knowing which components to get and what gives the best value for money is the most important part.

As I said already, please show us a build that gives better value for money than the one posted.

I'm very happy with the spec listed, but what about ram?
    Would that bring me over the budget?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1333+Low+Voltage/44315/8GB-Kit+G.Skill+PC3-10667U+CL9.article

Just about over budget. Could get a different 670 (probably a reference cooler, but still fantastic) if you can't afford the tenner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Down troll, down :P

I kinda agree that sometimes here people generally push the OP's budget too much and end up going over, but that's not the case here!! The OP asked for a €1200 build and was spec'd probably the best value balanced build you could get for that money.
    If the OP feels like he doesn't want to spend that much money on his build he is free to change his mind and all the lovely people here will gladly spec a new build for his revised budget.

If you can in-fact make a better build for €1200 feel free to post it, the OP and all the regulars will be only delighted to see it.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1333+Low+Voltage/44315/8GB-Kit+G.Skill+PC3-10667U+CL9.article

Just about over budget. Could get a different 670 (probably a reference cooler, but still fantastic) if you can't afford the tenner :pac:

Thanks S!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's easier to spend 1200 now and get everything you need than to spend 700 and miss out on lots of things. You would end up needing to spend that 700 euro sooner again.

I've had my current build for about 6 years. If I had skimped at the time I don't think it would have lasted.
    OP has a budget, he didn't say he wants to spend less than 1200 he said that's how much money he wants to spend on a computer. Fair enough if someone comes on here and says hey lads i have 3000 to spend on a laptop for facebook, but 1200 for a gaming rig isn't a HUGE amount of money.

I can slightly higher for the ram if there's better out there. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Nowadays there's very little difference between types of RAM so a rule of thumb is go for the cheapest, the G.Skill set recommended earlier is a great model.

• Advertisement

I can slightly higher for the ram if there's better out there. Any suggestions?

No need, speed doesn't mean much these days. Only thing that RAM falls down in is aesthetics.

Is a 650 power supply anough when I go sli down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Is a 650 power supply anough when I go sli down the road?

I ordered a very similar build to yours. When I worked out the power for two 670's, and a few extras like pci network adapters and a few fans+controller, dvd drives, usb drives, it came out to be 600w max. Should be grand. I plan to SLI with a 650w too

Edit: Oh and that was with a slight CPU overclock on the 3570k

I ordered a very similar build to yours. When I worked out the power for two 670's, and a few extras like pci network adapters and a few fans+controller, dvd drives, usb drives, it came out to be 600w max. Should be grand. I plan to SLI with a 650w too

Edit: Oh and that was with a slight CPU overclock on the 3570k

Cool thanks, so I used the configurator and selected the assemble for me option. Only issue is they don't put the custom cooler on the processor, which kind of sucks.

Any ideas what kind of thermal paste to use?

Don't use the configurator, just put all the individual items in your basket, and add this.

So adding that will make them add the custom cooler?

As in actually assemble the build with the custom cooler installed? Most of the time, yeah. I've had two builds go through with them with the build option, one with an Arctic freezer 13 CPU cooler, and they installed that. Sometimes they won't, as it puts too much weight on the motherboard during transit.

Eboggles wrote: »
    As in actually assemble the build with the custom cooler installed? Most of the time, yeah. I've had two builds go through with them with the build option, one with an Arctic freezer 13 CPU cooler, and they installed that. Sometimes they won't, as it puts too much weight on the motherboard during transit.

Thanks man! Really Appreciate all the help I got on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

*jealous* That build looks amazing

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    *jealous* That build looks amazing

Yep payday tomorrow, can't wait!

Advertisement