Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding of the Moon's effect on Earth

Options
  • 21-06-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all. Being new to boards.ie, I was just wanted to say hello and finally ask a question that has being bugging me for quite some time.

Having a science background myself (chemistry if you wanted to know!), I have a fairly decent understanding of physics and how tidal forces work. I understand that the moon has a greater effect on the earth's oceans as liquids down to their molecular level are faster moving than solids (free-flowing) which makes it easier for it to be pulled by the moon. Sometimes you can see ridges of rock and soil near beaches indicating the effect is on solids too, but a lot less pronounced.

So if that is the case surely gases (with greater freedom of movement) has a stronger reaction than the earth's ocean's. Is the atmosphere then affected? Does it get pulled and stretched just like the ocean? I not sure why I was always curious to be honest, but I only recently started getting into astronomy as hobby.

p.s. Now that i'm on here, i'd say there is a good chance i'm going to be annoying this forum with more ignorant chemist questions!

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Nice to meet you Real_Irishken, my own background is Biology so I understand where you are coming from.

Apparently the answer is yes there is a tidal effect on the Earth's atmosphere, although we may not physically notice it too much down here at the bottom. However it does bulge and contract to a greater or lesser degree.

I am not sure how much it is moved by gravitational forces myself, but I do know it has been monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

Thanks for the response. I always wondered if atmospheric changes were also attributed in some degree to the moon and what would occur if it were not there in the first place. I asked the 'great' Brian Cox and i got nothing!

p.s To be fair he does make science cool ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am certain that there are others who know a lot more than me who can add to this, in a better fashion. :)

No probs Rubecula, you've been very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Here's an article from Scientific American about the topic. You should find it interesting. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks that's very helpful. I wish I hadn't of wimped out of asking Brian and Dara the question during Stargazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Thanks that's very helpful. I wish I hadn't of wimped out of asking Brian and Dara the question during Stargazing!!
    And a very good question it was, better than most they were asked (IMHO) thanks for that.
    Had a nice couple of hours yesterday going into the details of Atmospheric Tides.
    Learning is fun :D

Cool will send in more posers soon. Watch this space....:)

Advertisement