Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship scams in club names.

Options
  • 21-06-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

I run Rush Fight Academy and have had several reports of people collecting sponsorship in our name in the Skerries and Balbriggan area-I can confirm that we only run club sponsorship 1 time a year and it has not been done for about 9 months or so, If someone ask's for sponsorship and you don't know and trust them i would decline the offer and if possible take a picture of them and report the matter to Gardai, Next tme i run a sponsor event with the kids i will request they only go to people that they know for sponsorship.

This scam is been done in other clubs names too so again i would simply say don't sponsor unless you know the people and know they are in the club, and of course you trust that the club is running such a thing, a few months ago a member from my club done this around skerries and was ejected from the club for it as we had no sponsor going and he was pocketing the money

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks for the warning. I completely disagree with people knocking on doors looking for sponsorship. I would only ever sponsor someone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

cowzerp wrote: »
    I run Rush Fight Academy and have had several reports of people collecting sponsorship in our name in the Skerries and Balbriggan area-I can confirm that we only run club sponsorship 1 time a year and it has not been done for about 9 months or so, If someone ask's for sponsorship and you don't know and trust them i would decline the offer and if possible take a picture of them and report the matter to Gardai, Next tme i run a sponsor event with the kids i will request they only go to people that they know for sponsorship.

This scam is been done in other clubs names too so again i would simply say don't sponsor unless you know the people and know they are in the club, and of course you trust that the club is running such a thing, a few months ago a member from my club done this around skerries and was ejected from the club for it as we had no sponsor going and he was pocketing the money

I never give money to anyone knocking at my door looking for money or hassling me on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Thanks for the warning. I completely disagree with people knocking on doors looking for sponsorship. I would only ever sponsor someone I know.

That's fair enough

Club's sometimes really need to get support from the communities, many get no grants and due to the boom years have massive leases and rates etc, like for example my kids get 7 classes for 10 euro a week, 9 in the summer because they can do the morning 1's too

You can always say no thanks too, and your spot on about not sponsoring people you don't know, then these scams will stop quick enough.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I never give money to anyone knocking at my door looking for money or hassling me on the street.

genuinely that's cool, the point of this is though is to stop people who think their helping the community from been robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I get a lot - and I mean A LOT - of kids knocking on our door for sponsorship. I don't know a single one of them and don't even recognise the name of the clubs/schools half the time.

When I was a kid, and you went looking for sponsorship, as others have said you only went to your neighbours, people who knew you. And if a gang of kids in the area were all looking for sponsorship you would divide it up so you all didn't knock on every neighbour. Furthermore, when we did get sponsored, we never collected the money there and then - we would get a sponsor from the person, go do our walk/run/dance whatever it was being sponsored, then when it was finished the school or club would give you a cert to show you had completed it and then you would return to your neighbours, proof in hand that you completed the task they sponsored you for. At that stage they would hand over the money.

So when kids look for sponsorship I say, yeah no problem, tell them I'll give them €2 or whatever. When they stand there looking for the money I smilingly explain they will get the money when they have completed the task. I tell them to come back when they have done the event....to this date, not a single one has ever called back!

• Advertisement

Little Ted wrote: »
    So when kids look for sponsorship I say, yeah no problem, tell them I'll give them €2 or whatever. When they stand there looking for the money I smilingly explain they will get the money when they have completed the task. I tell them to come back when they have done the event....to this date, not a single one has ever called back!

Sometimes(most times) there is no task, it's just a club asking the community to help keep resources going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks for heads up on this. I had someone call to my door looking for sponsorship for St. Maurs of which I am involved. They got some shock when I came out to door and told them I was on the committee. I didnt recognise them and called the Gardái. they were gone like a light. I reported this to Gardái at the time and emailed all club members. A few days later they were in Lambay view selling raffle tickets on behalf of St. Maurs. I got a call and phoned 2 club members in that area but they were gone in matter of minutes as someone else rumbled them.

Just remember some clubs are doing great work with kids all over NCD and knocking on doors is all some clubs can do to keep their heads above water. But I agree only give it to a person you know.
    Fuinseog wrote: »

Its important not to mix up genuine kids and clubs with the scammers

Some clubs have no option but to go looking for sponsorship for all kinds of events as sponsorship from local business has gone down substantially over the last 18months. I would say to people on here ask them a few questions about the club they are collecting for, who is their coach, what team they play on................ And phone the Gardái immediatley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Sometimes(most times) there is no task, it's just a club asking the community to help keep resources going.

Honestly, I would never give to a person at my door who was just asking for money. Sponsorship usually involves I will walk/run/box/ dance/ take part in x event in return for money for my club. I have no problem with this - I have often sponsored friends for marathons/raft races etc for charity and clubs as they have done for me and the charity I am involved in.

If someone wants a donation then this should be done in a public place, where people can put money in a bucket or whatever and not by knocking on doors - but that is just my personal opinion.

To date, no one that called to my house was outright just looking for money - they all claimed to be participating some form of event. Hence my ploy of telling them I'll pay them when they have completed the event! And if they ever did call back I would happily give them the money. However if someone called to my house just looking for a donation to a club I would politely say a firm no. In fact I would wonder if this is allowed under the Garda permit - don't you need a specific house collections permit to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This type of thing has happened a few times for the Baldoyle Forum who I have an affiliation with. Some fella was going around door-to-door looking for money. Baldoyle Forum does not raise funds in this way and asks people to call the Gardaí if anyone knocks on the door purporting to represent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I remember a family, 1 male , his wife and two children knocking at my door to do asponserd run forthe group that I am involved with.I couldnt believe it.I know one of my neighbours reported them to the Garda.
    Your right to question them, if in doubth ,call the club.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up, a skinny skerries teen with an eye pierce and tanned complexion is coming in as the main person knocking on the doors.

The messages i put up are helping as people are reporting this to me, I would ask people to start reporting to the Gardai though as the guards where not aware this was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wendyhouse86

Good news, Gardai caught up with some scammers last night in Rush

Good news, Gardai caught up with some scammers last night in Rush

good to hear-I got a call into my house from kids collecting for Ballymun Boxing club, V strange.

good to hear-I got a call into my house from kids collecting for Ballymun Boxing club, V strange.

Was it a boy and girl?

Was it a boy and girl?

little girl and young teen boy i'd say, said their dad dropped them off

little girl and young teen boy i'd say, said their dad dropped them off

yeah, thats them I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This thread needs to be kept alive as this is the time of year when clubs and charities are running a lot of fundraisers. Post every incident you think may not be for real whether you give sponsorship or not and call the Gardái

We have had 2 people going around this time last year collecting for our Christmas party which we actually dont have.

LeoB wrote: »
    This thread needs to be kept alive as this is the time of year when clubs and charities are running a lot of fundraisers. Post every incident you think may not be for real whether you give sponsorship or not and call the Gardái

We have had 2 people going around this time last year collecting for our Christmas party which we actually dont have.

I got more calls today about my club looking for sponsors that where not legit

I am running a white collar Boxing show in 3 weeks and the participants have cards, there adults and will only be asking their mates and not knocking on doors

My advice is simple, If someone knocks on your door and you don't know them don't give them anything and if you're suspicious call the guards.

Advertisement