Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology through Arts???

Options
  • 21-06-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Okay so I have 'pure' psychology on my CAO atm, but starting to worry I might not have gotten the points for it. I know it Maynooth you can get into 'pure' psychology through Arts, if you're in the top 30 or something.
    Is it the same in UCD??? I've heard mixed answers about this so I'm not sure...
    I'd love UCD because Maynooth is quite small!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

xcorina wrote: »
    Okay so I have 'pure' psychology on my CAO atm, but starting to worry I might not have gotten the points for it. I know it Maynooth you can get into 'pure' psychology through Arts, if you're in the top 30 or something.
    Is it the same in UCD??? I've heard mixed answers about this so I'm not sure...
    I'd love UCD because Maynooth is quite small!

Well what have you on your CAO for UCD? Is it DN519 or DN500 ... or both? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

Well what have you on your CAO for UCD? Is it DN519 or DN500 ... or both? :confused:

I have DN519 as my first choice, and DN500 further down. I heard you could do arts, and if you're in the top 20 of your psychology class, go into the DN519 course and do just psychology from second year, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

I'm fairly certain, that's not possible in UCD. I think there's a psychology course in DIT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I have DN519 as my first choice, and DN500 further down. I heard you could do arts, and if you're in the top 20 of your psychology class, go into the DN519 course and do just psychology from second year, is that true?

No, the only way to study Psychology as a single subject major in UCD is through the denominated DN519 program. After first year, a quota of students in DN500 have the opportunity to study psychology as a minor component of their degree by a random selection process, however this is not sufficient for a professional qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

honru wrote: »
    No, the only way to study Psychology as a single subject major in UCD is through the denominated DN519 program. After first year, a quota of students in DN500 have the opportunity to study psychology as a minor component of their degree by a random selection process, however this is not sufficient for a professional qualification.

Ahh okay thank you. I was really confused about this! It's strange how Maynooth allows you to do it through arts and UCD doesn't..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Ahh okay thank you. I was really confused about this! It's strange how Maynooth allows you to do it through arts and UCD doesn't..

You can't get in to 'pure' psychology through arts in Maynooth either, however the highest scoring non-denominated students have the opportunity to study the subject as a joint honours from second year onwards. A better deal than a minor in UCD anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

NUIG offer a chance to do psychology through arts - BA (Psychology) - if you get high enough grades in first year, afaik. You need to be in the top 100 of your psych class, while passing your other 3 arts subjects - see here http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/arts.html

Worth a look anyway :)

Advertisement