Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City Landmark

• 21-06-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

So ya know of the two chimneys in town Ringsend, Dublin. Lets just assume that the Poolbeg towers have been removed. (IF they should be removed is a debate for another thread.) Work on the premise that they are already gone. What should we replace them with as a city landmark?

Paris has the Eiffel Tower, Pisa has the leaning tower. Sydney has an Opera House, New York has the statue of liberty. What should we have?

Should it be practicle or just a visual treat?
    Should it be representative of a person, a statue of Daniel O'Donnel perhaps?
    Should it be something iconically Irish like a monsterously big harp?
    Should it be something abstract to show that we can look forward rather then always living in our past?

Personally I favour 250m wind powered archimedes screw spurting water from the top like a giant phallus, the water catching the light to produce rainbows, but I guess thats not going to be to everyones taste.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A 200ft 'Careful Now' sign would really help I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

the empty Anglo headquaters i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Are the chimneys not a landmark in themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Let's stick a massive spike up there which will be billed as self cleaning but cost a fortune to clean every year, that'll show the world that we mean business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

A giant penis!!!

or maybe a giant hand giving the middle finger...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A big digital clock, so everyone can see the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The Ghost estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Maybe a small little stone, a holy stone. We can move the one from Clonrichert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

they should build a massive public sports complex which will have loads of 5 a side pitches , a few normal pitches, badminton courts, squash, massive gym, swimming pool, track... with all sorts of new athletics, badminton, squash clubs;

all these things are in short supply in dublin city centre, or else WAY too expensive. Would create loads of jobs too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

A giant junkie in a luminous tracksuit

Every hour it would chime.. "Stoooaary"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

A big digital clock, so everyone can see the time.

But what about people that can't read time? Wow, way to make them feel low about themselves :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

A Colossus standing astride the harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

neil_hosey wrote: »
    they should build a massive public sports complex which will have loads of 5 a side pitches , a few normal pitches, badminton courts, squash, massive gym, swimming pool, track... with all sorts of new athletics, badminton, squash clubs;

Irishtown stadium has a lot of this already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

A giant statue of Rageguy.

Sums up how most feel to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Irishtown stadium has a lot of this already :)

I know im a member of the gym there :)

all it has is some 5 a sides, a track and a gym.

No pool, squash, tennis, table tennis, badminton, basketball, handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

A big celtic tiger, made out of 24carrot gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

neil_hosey wrote: »

all these things are in short supply in dublin city centre, or else WAY too expensive. Would create loads of jobs too

We could call it the Bertie Bowl, eh no wait...Hello Bertie, you nearly had me fooled:p

We should build replicas of the twin towers, the insurance money might come in handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

why build up?
    lets build DOWN....
    we could have an entire new city under dublin.

sorry been playing far too much minecraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I think the spire actually does a good job of that, it can be seen from a good distance away and for people that dont know the area its a good focal point to bring them back to somewhere they know. Its a better landmark than the 2 chimneys imo. A lot of Irish people really seem to hate it but i dont think visitors see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

A proper viewing tower. Something like the Eiffel tower or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A Colossus standing astride the harbour.
    I suggested that in a thread years ago thinking it was funny. Then some muppet actually pitched the idea of a giant statue to the government, who obviously thought it would be a great idea. One good thing about the recession is that it put an end to that sort of nonsense for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A huge ever growing pulsating brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

An incinerator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Where To wrote: »
    An incinerator

That might actually pass in the Dail, but a stipulation on it that the TD's get first dibs so they can burn their expense receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Who gives a sh1te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Who gives a sh1te?
    Attitudes like this are the reason Jedward exist.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

OldGoat wrote: »
    Attitudes like this are the reason Jedward exist.

I think you'll find that inbreeding is the reason.

Advertisement