Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackeral fishing in Sligo

Options
  • 21-06-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Has anyone caught any macks. on the Sligo coast this year yet. I tried Raughley a couple of weeks ago but just got a couple of small pollack.
    Heard they're getting loads down in Clare and Galway. Tides will suit me (timewise) the coming week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I'm not much of a fisherman myself but last year there were defiantly a good few mackerel caught at Streedagh from the rocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

red sean wrote: »
    Has anyone caught any macks. on the Sligo coast this year yet. I tried Raughley a couple of weeks ago but just got a couple of small pollack.
    Heard they're getting loads down in Clare and Galway. Tides will suit me (timewise) the coming week.

I normally fish off the rocks at home near Belmullet at weekends and it's been pretty awful so far this year in terms of mackeral.
    Are there any good fishing marks for mackeral and Pollock in Sligo? I've tried Raughley but it seems to be crowded any time I went. At Streedagh I seemed to have lost more bait than anywhere else I fished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

rhonin wrote: »
    I normally fish off the rocks at home near Belmullet at weekends and it's been pretty awful so far this year in terms of mackeral.
    Are there any good fishing marks for mackeral and Pollock in Sligo? I've tried Raughley but it seems to be crowded any time I went. At Streedagh I seemed to have lost more bait than anywhere else I fished!

Hi rhonin, ya Streedagh can be expensive alright if you let the lure sink. There's a few places along the coast near Raughley: Ballyconnell, Cloonagh etc. that can be very good.
    I take it you went across the fields at Raughley and not the pier. I've also seen them come in at Raughley beach in the past.
    If you hear of anything, post it up here and I'll do the same.
    Dyin' for fresh mack.:)

red sean wrote: »
    Hi rhonin, ya Streedagh can be expensive alright if you let the lure sink. There's a few places along the coast near Raughley: Ballyconnell, Cloonagh etc. that can be very good.
    I take it you went across the fields at Raughley and not the pier. I've also seen them come in at Raughley beach in the past.
    If you hear of anything, post it up here and I'll do the same.
    Dyin' for fresh mack.:)

Yeah I went across the fields at Raughley. That was two years ago mind. I must get someone to show me some marks in Sligo as I'm always wary of trying to find new places when you don't know how safe they can be. I'm living here 12 years now and never fished properly here!
    If I hear of any catches I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I live down in Raghly (well Ballymulderry, but it's right beside it like) and have mates who have pulled in plenty of mackeral over the last few weeks.

PM me if you want directions to a good spot. Our back garden goes right down to the sea and its a pretty good spot afaik

Think one of the lads even had a sea trout on the hook, but which got away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Interesting about the sea trout, Pete. I was walking the dog in Lissadell on tues/wed night as the tide was turning, and would have have swore I saw 2 sea trout turning. Thought maybe they were mullet but now.......??

Pete M. wrote: »
    I live down in Raghly (well Ballymulderry, but it's right beside it like) and have mates who have pulled in plenty of mackeral over the last few weeks.

PM me if you want directions to a good spot. Our back garden goes right down to the sea and its a pretty good spot afaik

Think one of the lads even had a sea trout on the hook, but which got away.

Sent you a PM. I'm going to do a reconnaissance mission this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

If still interested, have been fishing by Aughris Pier over past month and have caught mackerel and pollock every time I've been over....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Where is the pier exactly in Aughris I am lazy and cannot see it on google maps :) , I do a lot of rock fishing in Donegal when I get back and still looking for somewhere safe and decent for the kids around sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

Aughris pier is off the Ballysadare to Ballina road.... turn right at Skreen church and follow signposts for pier/beach bar.... best fishing is off the rocks to the right of the pier... just follow the path above the pier for hundred yards or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

I fished at Cullenamore in July and caught a lots of mackarel with a spinning rod. I caught 8 of them in an hour and it was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hugof1234

I know this thread is old but would anyone be able to tell me some good spots around Sligo to land some mackeral or pollack thanks

• Hugof1234 wrote: »
    I know this thread is old but would anyone be able to tell me some good spots around Sligo to land some mackeral or pollack thanks

If you are specifically looking at the closest point to Sligo town, Rosses point would be your best bet, but sometimes very crowded in high season. And you stand little chance of catching outside season. But a safe enough place to fish.

Apart from that, the other places mentioned above are the best out of town.

If you are happy enough to do a longer drive, Ballyconnell and Raughley are the places to be, some big pollack there but be careful if you dont know those areas. The best marks require a few climbs sometimes down or across steep rocks. And watch the sea swell around that part of the coast, I've seen dry rocks 10 feet or more above a calm sea being engulfed in a second with a swell that came outta nowhere.

You could maybe try bass fishing of any of the beaches.

Anyways happy fishing. I'm a Tesco's counter fisherman these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

There’s lots of mackerel, salmon, hake and plaice in Lidl. You don’t lose any lure or weights either and they even have breadcrumbs on some of them too. It’s a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hugof1234

Off the rocks at Rosses point or the pier

• Hugof1234 wrote: »
    Off the rocks at Rosses point or the pier

I'm presuming that's a question? When it's busy you'll be lucky to get in anywhere. If I had a choice I'd choose the pier (when swimmers not around), or the rocks facing directly out to the left of the pier. The channel itself can be difficult to fish if tides are against you. But if the mackerel are around you stand a good chance in either location. Occasional pollack but very small and not keepers.

Advertisement