Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an email database list cleaning service

Options
  • 21-06-2012 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have some email databases that have not been well managed over a long period. They are mixed source lists made up of newsletter subscribers, customers both old and newer, trade show leads etc etc in total about 4000 records. We got into a bit of bother with our mailing service provider, due to high bounce rates.

Anybody recommend a good service provider to clean the lists?

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Are you serious ??

I'm not sure why you are not cleaning the lists yourselves.. 4000 Email addresses is a high enough number to gain an insight into how your campaign is running ?

You should try mailchimp, detailed data of who is opening and not opening your list along with relevent data to determine your conversion rate/read rate also.

You should be cleaning up this list every time you send and get undelivered mail - No excuses otherwise mailchimp iwebber or any other provider will simply just keep shutting you down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I am serious. I know that this is a serious issue that is our own fault. As stated in the post, we have not managed the lists properly over the years. All the data was migrated to a new CRM system but we don't know the age of each contact or which ones actually open the newsletters and until recently only deleted hard bounces. Some of the older ones are still good and are repeat customers. We only want to send to those who wish to receive it.

I have considered buying a cheap email programme to send a specific message asking if they still wish receive our information and news. It would have proper auto unsubscribe functionality. There is special list cleaning software available but it is very expensive, I just thought there might be a cleaning service here, hence my post.

Thanks Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I am serious. I know that this is a serious issue that is our own fault. As stated in the post, we have not managed the lists properly over the years. All the data was migrated to a new CRM system but we don't know the age of each contact or which ones actually open the newsletters and until recently only deleted hard bounces. Some of the older ones are still good and are repeat customers. We only want to send to those who wish to receive it.

I have considered buying a cheap email programme to send a specific message asking if they still wish receive our information and news. It would have proper auto unsubscribe functionality. There is special list cleaning software available but it is very expensive, I just thought there might be a cleaning service here, hence my post.

Thanks Peter

So because it is available and expensive you thought you could find it cheaper elsewhere ?

and if you dont find it cheaper elsewhere ...will you purchase the list cleaning software ?

Why not take the time to filter through the list yourself - 5-10 email addresses at a time, if it bounces - delete it, should take no longer than an hour or two.

Na Pete to be fair i think your standing over a dirty floor with a mop and bucket and your looking for your mobile to go find a cleaning lady..

Save yourself some money this is something you should be doing yourselves, because as said its your business and your leads..

Go to mailchimp.com and go have a tinker around with the free version .. Do not purchase this just yet..

Upload half the list which is approximately 2000 People - Its conveniant that mailchimp will only let you upload 2000 on the free version (bonus) I would suggest sending a newsletter again, talking about what you do, where you are.. Perhaps some tips for whatever section you reside in. Just something that fills up the email

Then i would suggest sending it, Anything that does get delivered export and keep that list because this is your New and update client list. Rinse and repeat with the ones that didnt deliver one last time and then Delete that list because quite frankly its a dud.

Try the same with the last 2000 emails and then rinse repeat the above again. One last thing is to remember to update your CRM- im not being vecious but Crm stands for customer relationship manager.

If you dont have a customer you really dont have a relationship so why keep those email addresses.. Let them go - They may be good clients that just need a contact point, but you need email deliveries not hopes and dreams.

You Can always pay someone €60 an hour to do this but its your business Pete and your customers and i would advise you to take a little more care in keeping them and that data.

I hope u can find the answer in this im not trying to be nasty in any way bud !!

Cheers

In terms of list size, 4000 records is not huge but the software costs around US$ 350 not, justified for a once off use. That is why I am looking for someone who provides list cleaning as a service, for which we would pay, of course.

• Advertisement

Na Pete to be fair i think your standing over a dirty floor with a mop and bucket and your looking for your mobile to go find a cleaning lady..

Save yourself some money this is something you should be doing yourselves, because as said its your business and your leads..

Go to mailchimp.com and go have a tinker around with the free version .. Do not purchase this just yet..

Upload half the list which is approximately 2000 People - Its conveniant that mailchimp will only let you upload 2000 on the free version (bonus) I would suggest sending a newsletter again, talking about what you do, where you are.. Perhaps some tips for whatever section you reside in. Just something that fills up the email

Then i would suggest sending it, Anything that does get delivered export and keep that list because this is your New and update client list. Rinse and repeat with the ones that didnt deliver one last time and then Delete that list because quite frankly its a dud.

Try the same with the last 2000 emails and then rinse repeat the above again. One last thing is to remember to update your CRM- im not being vecious but Crm stands for customer relationship manager.

If you dont have a customer you really dont have a relationship so why keep those email addresses.. Let them go - They may be good clients that just need a contact point, but you need email deliveries not hopes and dreams.

You Can always pay someone €60 an hour to do this but its your business Pete and your customers and i would advise you to take a little more care in keeping them and that data.

I hope u can find the answer in this im not trying to be nasty in any way bud !!

Cheers

Your points are very well made
    Thank you for the perceptive advice, that looks like a really sound methodology and we will give it a go. If you keep at it on boards.ie, you invariably get the benefit of those who know the topic and generously share that knowledge.

Our bad management of our CRM data was why we bought a new system at all! To be honest, our business is now moving rapidly from traditional B2B sales methods to online, we focussed too much on web design, SEO, online advertising etc. Your slap is well justified and I take no offence. I am old enough and bold enough to take the rough with smooth.

You hit the nail on the head regarding responsibility for "your customers" Believe me, the lesson is well learned. We would never treat our other assets so carelessly, the whole exercise has certainly clarified the value of our digital property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

I don't know what CRM system you are using but there are plenty of mail components out there for nothing that will have all the facilities you need - check for openings, bouncers, unsubscribe etc.

Fair Play pete, im in exactly the same industry myself here = Fun times keeping the current clients not alone the newer ones

Yes IRE60 .. Most of the email newsletter programs All have this feature.
    Actually we were thinking of using salesforce crm as this intergrates with the chimp..

Could be worth a quick look guys :D

Fair Play pete, im in exactly the same industry myself here = Fun times keeping the current clients not alone the newer ones

Yes IRE60 .. Most of the email newsletter programs All have this feature.
    Actually we were thinking of using salesforce crm as this intergrates with the chimp..

Could be worth a quick look guys :D

We are using Goldmine as it integrates well with our ERP system and we have multi-user licenses. We intend subscribe to the chimp once the data is clean or might consider ConstantContact, they seem to be the top 2 out there in terms of value and functionality. Most contacts are outside Ireland. Any thoughts on which is best?

Apprentice, you give a lot on these forums, I have read lots of your posts. You are a good human being!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the kind words pete, Although my grammer and punctuation could do with a touch despite having a degree with merit lol !!
    I find boards a forum where i type as fast as i talk but im starting to slow down and structure my posts a bit more, while answering the post in a unified and well though out way - Unlike normally :P

I have used goldmine before but never the email function - As a crm it was pretty quick and reliable
    I agree on both email packages both are very similar and are close in price - Mail chimp being more aesthetically pleasing with some fun monkey humour maybe ?

The chimp when u use a paid package is pretty darn good with some awesome email support which is probably why we use it.
    Best features - Inbox Inspector - and also the decent newsletter designs are a ++
    Results tracker including the bounce rate - Open/unopen is probably on them all but i find if it works why change --
    Works with hootsuite also which is something we are currently looking at using for social media packages we have

I dont really have any advice on the Non-Irish contacts - The usual Good looking template - 4 Posts with Industry advice- Regular business advice - Your post/blog tip advice seems to be the standard for seo/webdesign.
    Keep annoying me even with seo news all month long and i would (probably) unsubscribe myself ..

So ye again its up to yourself what type or style - just don't ram industry news down peoples throats it gets old fast, have some fun with the emails !! Perhaps personalize it, this is Danger Dave etc - linking to profile etc gives some accountability etc

Remembing the sales theory - People buy from people not from companies !!!

Have fun pete :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement