Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jelly Fish (Dublin)

Options
  • 21-06-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Took a swim off the Forty Foot last night and it was covered in jellyfish. Its a godam freaky feeling when you swim onto one and its rubbing you face.

Whats brought them all out? Just the time of the year or some currents washing them in?

Anybody out west seeing many? Will make Hell of the West a very freaky swim if so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Saw something on Twitter during the week about there being a few in the bay at Kilkee alright.

Not a fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

There were loads in killiney last week :eek:, none there yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

kingQuez wrote: »
    There were loads in killiney last week :eek:, none there yesterday :D

Must have been some as 40ft was swamped with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Only thing I hate more than jellies are sharks.

tunney wrote: »

More likely to be killed by a jelly fish than a shark. At certain times of the year they dont swim in the sea north of Brisbane in Australia because of the Jelly Fish. 2 kinds of them.. Stingers and some other one.

Dont think Ireland has any really dangerous jelly fish.

• Advertisement

What about the seals?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What about the seals?

Even more dangerous than the jellies. They've gots the teeth and rumour has it amphibiankingwest was sexually assaulted by one...

What about the seals?

Guy in my club got humped by the male seal out by the forty foot. He was swimming along minding his own business when all of a sudden the seal swam onto him and started humping him........

Guy in my club got humped by the male seal out by the forty foot. He was swimming along minding his own business when all of a sudden the seal swam onto him and started humping him........

lmfao, I made the right call getting out when it showed up then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

What about plodders wearing headphones ?

• Advertisement

lmfao, I made the right call getting out when it showed up then:D

he said it was the best ride he had in a while

What about plodders wearing headphones ?

I was going to say that they won't eat me but............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Even more dangerous than the jellies. They've gots the teeth and rumour has it amphibiankingwest was sexually assaulted by one...

No no, that was interested down in Kilkee last year. I can see how the mistake could be made though....

No no, that was interested down in Kilkee last year. I can see how the mistake could be made though....

amphibiankingwest was sexually assaulted by interested in kilkee last year????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I call him the 'predator' for a reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

amphibiankingwest was sexually assaulted by interested in kilkee last year????

So this is how Chinese whispers is played!!

amphibiankingwest was sexually assaulted by interested with a Chinese whisker in kilkee last year????

wow sounds dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

amphibiankingwest was sexually assaulted by interested with a Chinese whisker in kilkee last year????

wow sounds dodgy

Thats completely untrue and an outrageous falsehood. It was in Swinford.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Channel Chinese Whisper.

Breaking News:

......A headphone wearing seal apeears to have had a threesome with a bad ass jellyfish and Amphibiankingwest in Kilkee last year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Saw my first jellyfish while swimming at Seapoint today at lunchtime. They seem to have been the common type but I didn't get stung. Am I mad for swimming with shorts and hat and no wetsuit?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Saw my first jellyfish while swimming at Seapoint today at lunchtime. They seem to have been the common type but I didn't get stung. Am I mad for swimming with shorts and hat and no wetsuit?!

Swam there yesterday and didn't see any... Luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I was there at high tide and there were quite a few out between the first two buoys on the left. Only spotted the common ones alright; for most people contact with them will have no effect, while people with a sensitivity to them will only experience a mild sting, not as bad as a nettle sting. Still a bit off-putting without a suit! Good guide to the ones to look out for here.

Wouldn't worry too much about it, you could ask the lifeguards if there's been any nasty ones about though.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Swam there yesterday and didn't see any... Luckily.

Gonna head down tomorrow night and swim the bouys, fingers crossed there are not to many.

Saw one big stringy stingey fecker in killiney tonight right infront of me; looked in the right place at the right time to avoid him... then spent the rest of the swim paranoid looking for them and not swimming properly. Only 5-6 of the common jellyfish tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

I swam 3 of the buoys last night in Seapoint and didn't notice any. Got home for a shower and felt a small sting on might right cheekbone and had a redness around it. It must have been a small sting from a jelly as i can't think how else it would've happened. I'm not too bothered really as it's barely noticeable and not uncomfortable and i enjoyed my swim so wouldn't put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Friend got stung today at Seapoint. He didn't feel it happen so didn't see what kind of jellyfish.

The lifeguards there told us the more dangerous ones won't be around until later in the summer.

Advertisement