Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cost of the Eucharistic Congress €11.8 million

• 21-06-2012 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

just read that the estimated cost of the eucharistic congress is €11.8 million. Victims of abuse have been left un-compensated by the same institution, yet they have 12 million to shell out on this
    Couldn't this money be put towards helping people who sleep on our streets for example (many of whom are victims of abuse)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0530/euc...ss-dublin.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Religion.....root of all evil.....satan.....the 'debbil'.....shockin' Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

just read that the estimated cost of the eucharistic congress is €11.8 million. Victims of abuse have been left un-compensated by the same institution, yet they have 12 million to shell out on this
    Couldn't this money be put towards helping people who sleep on our streets for example (many of whom are victims of abuse)

Well yes but the congress was funded by the church with 25% from private donations so it's none of our business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

No.

cos they've just spent it on the RDS etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Well yes but the congress was funded by the church with 25% from private donations so it's none of our business.

Actually it is, if the catholic "church" has that kind of money then they can afford to pay the victims of child sex abuse THE FULL COMPENSATION instead of us the taxpayer having to subsidise the catholic church in those compensation payments.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

cos they've just spent it on the RDS etc.

sorry, not sure what you mean by this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I we're to get angry at every injustice, then we'd go mad in this country. For example, Phil Hogan swanning off on a junket to Rio. The cost of that trip would feed more than a few homeless people. The €80 million plus that the Dept of Social Welfare gave out by mistake would build a new childrens hospital.

I'm going to stop now, take a deep breath, and leave this thread...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

j
    Couldn't this money be put towards helping people who sleep on our streets for example

Ah hold on now, they'll have to hold a congress on Christian Charity as well like.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Actually it is, if the catholic "church" has that kind of money then they can afford to pay the victims of child sex abuse THE FULL COMPENSATION instead of us the taxpayer having to subsidise the catholic church in those compensation payments.:mad::mad:
    Why is church in quotation marks? Anyway is 12 million enough to fully compensate the victims of abuse? Even if it was it wouldn't have provided the boost to the economy the congress gave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

They did charge €35 to get into the RDS btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

Even if it was it wouldn't have provided the boost to the economy the congress gave.

Boost to the economy? In what way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Day ticket or weekend camping? Could you bring your own booze in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Is that the cost for the subsequent cases arising out of the traditional Euracharistic closing night disco, where 'bring your own altar boy' is mandatory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Anyone deluded enough to go should be charged E350 ........... then they could be reimbursed by being given E315 worth of Antipsychotic pills.

Daith wrote: »

K-Y Gel, Rampant Rabbits and Condoms. Not to mention the Strawberries and Cream.

Spread wrote: »
    Anyone deluded enough to go should be charged E350 ........... then they could be reimbursed by being given E315 worth of Antipsychotic pills.

Yep, all the money they are meant to have and they stilled charge the loyal fans €35 in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Spread wrote: »
    Anyone deluded enough to go should be charged E350 ...........

So much for the liberal live free or die state

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The statists no doubt could likely praise Minister Hogan for having a better use for the money, ie trips to Rio.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    So much for the liberal live free or die state

Ah Jasus mikemac1 ............ under the belt. No helmet on motorbikes. You still can text while driving but can't take a call. So yes ........ live free AND die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Yep, all the money they are meant to have and they stilled charge the loyal fans €35 in.

LOL

Fans?

This isn't the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Source for this part please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wafers are expensive these days you know!

D1stant wrote: »
    LOL

Fans?

This isn't the Euros

Loads of folks gathering together, hiring a bus and singing songs all the way there and back....... Sound like a bus of folks going to the euros to me....
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

OP - few questions:

a) Which victims of abuse have been left un-compensated by the church?

b) Have you ever thrown a party/event - even a conference in a business setting? If so, why didn't you use that money for cancer research, sick children or mitigating global climate change?? Why? What kind of selfish beast are you??;)

Always intrigues me that people think the church is ALL about helping to tidy up the mess of state failures (homelessness, etc). It is not. The church does encourage christian charity. But the primary raison d'etre of the church is to give glory to God and to win souls. The Eucharistic Congress is one such means. Incidently there were plenty of people speakign at the Congress about the essential role of charity and social justice in the church and society - Fr. Peter McVerry for one.

Loads of folks gathering together, hiring a bus and singing HYMNS all the way there and back....... Sound like a bus of folks going to the euros to me....
    :p

There you are Unc .......... FYP

Source for this part please.

here

and here

OP - few questions:

a) Which victims of abuse have been left un-compensated by the church?

b) Have you ever thrown a party/event - even a conference in a business setting? If so, why didn't you use that money for cancer research, sick children or mitigating global climate change?? Why? What kind of selfish beast are you??;)

Always intrigues me that people think the church is ALL about helping to tidy up the mess of state failures (homelessness, etc). It is not. The church does encourage christian charity. But the primary raison d'etre of the church is to give glory to God and to win souls. The Eucharistic Congress is one such means. Incidently there were plenty of people speakign at the Congress about the essential role of charity and social justice in the church and society - Fr. Peter McVerry for one.

I have indeed. I have used conference rooms to hold events of which I made a contribution of the takings to an overseas orphanage fund and Focus Ireland.

tidying up the mess of their own failures, I meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It brought in hundreds of tourists from all over the world. Americans, Canadians, Africans, Japanese, Koreans, Australians and more. Id say it did contribute to the economy a fair amount. Not that I advocate the catholic church at all, but I was working at it.

In pilgrims coming from all over the world to stay in Ireland for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

tbf the church does deserve real credit , the event was a great success and as others have pointed out it provided a much needed boost for tourism as well. surely this event is what the church should be doing, promoting events that will present itself in a more positive light. it does need and op as the saying goes, there is no such thing as a free lunch...

• Advertisement

I have indeed. I have used conference rooms to hold events of which I made a contribution of the takings to an overseas orphanage fund and Focus Ireland.

tidying up the mess of their own failures, I meant

Good for you.

For more on what the church does to help those on hard times (and yes, some of those the church itself damaged) see:

http://www.trocaire.org/
    http://www.crosscare.ie/joomla/
    http://www.cori.ie/faoiseamh
    http://www.catholicbishops.ie/immigrants/
    http://www.mqi.ie/

etc

I thought it was hilarious. All these deluded people celebrating something that no one can prove exists. Show me evidence of this "God".
    On the bright side it did bring tourists and additional money into our economy.

^Hilarious? Slow weekend for you huh?

Good for you.

For more on what the church does to help those on hard times (and yes, some of those the church itself damaged) see:

http://www.trocaire.org/
    http://www.crosscare.ie/joomla/
    http://www.cori.ie/faoiseamh
    http://www.catholicbishops.ie/immigrants/
    http://www.mqi.ie/

etc

yes, the church does a lot of good, and it is not my intention to be-little the work put in to running this event by organisers, volunteers, staff of rds and everyone else. My original point still stands

Well the answer to your original point/question is - yes. The church could have spent the money on other things.......but it decided, in this instance that it would run the Congress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You mean like the €40+ million the state paid on a stadium that doesn't exist. Ireland for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

OP, it seems you just looking for a stick to beat the Church with. £11m, some of which they provided themselves, really is small beer when you consider the wastage of money not just in Ireland but around the world. The LHC in Switzerland cost over €3 BILLION. Can anyone argue that money couldnt have been better spent? I'm not Catholic but I really cant see your gripe.

keano_afc wrote: »
    OP, it seems you just looking for a stick to beat the Church with. £11m, some of which they provided themselves, really is small beer when you consider the wastage of money not just in Ireland but around the world. The LHC in Switzerland cost over €3 BILLION. Can anyone argue that money couldnt have been better spent? I'm not Catholic but I really cant see your gripe.

Just to clarrify Keano - the entire cost of the Congress was paid by the church and its members - no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The money the Papists spent on their gig is nothing compared to the spons in the Vaticans vaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Attendance was rather down on the quarter of the whole country that went to the last one. That sounds more like pitiful failure than resounding success, but hey, whatever.

If its numbers you're into then you'll have figured out that the few thousand empty seats in Croke Park would have accomodated the entire attendance of the World Atheist Conference held in Dublin in 2011 at least ten times over.

That's if you're into numbers.....which I'm not. Truth is not determined by a majority vote :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The money the Papists spent on their gig is nothing compared to the spons in the Vaticans vaults.

Papists! Are you related to Ian Paisley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why is church in quotation marks? Anyway is 12 million enough to fully compensate the victims of abuse? Even if it was it wouldn't have provided the boost to the economy the congress gave.

Well y'know, they aren't really a church now are they, anyhow, would 12 million be enough to compensate the the victims of catholic "church" child sex abuse?, probably not, doesn't mean it can't go towards it, and maybe then the bishop in Dublin can stop asking its congregation to cough up some money as it's parish is "broke".

Boost to the economy? ha ! Maybe sales of ovaltine went up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If its numbers you're into then you'll have figured out that the few thousand empty seats in Croke Park would have accomodated the entire attendance of the World Atheist Conference held in Dublin in 2011 at least ten times over.

That's if you're into numbers.....which I'm not. Truth is not determined by a majority vote :D

I'm not particularly into numbers when ratios are more important. The congress attendance was down to somewhere around 10-15% of its previous numbers, while the atheist thing drew more than 100% of its past numbers.

Truth is not decided. It merely is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Sarky wrote: »
    Attendance was rather down on the quarter of the whole country that went to the last one. That sounds more like pitiful failure than resounding success, but hey, whatever.

There was actually quite a large crowd at the RDS when I worked there. Of course its not going to measure up to the last one in terms of attendance, for many obvious reason. I wouldnt have called it a failure, the place was pretty busy actually.

Just stating again that Im not a catholic or an atheist. Because sure enough some fool will assume I am one with these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What kind of numbers did they get for the Mass at Croke Park? It looked impressive from the pictures I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sarky wrote: »

Ah come on, the last one was 80 years ago! We're so much of a different country from how we were then that we may as well be on a different planet! I think they got a really decent turn out this time, all things considered.

DEFTLEFTHAND, from what I remember hearing on the radio 80k attended the final mass in Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Atheist mass never really caught on. Sure didn't most of us just do it to get Sunday off in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keano_afc wrote: »

The LHC helps us understand the universe/physics better and will contribute to us advancing as a race eventually. If you're going to say that, might as well stop all scientific research.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well y'know, they aren't really a church now are they, anyhow, would 12 million be enough to compensate the the victims of catholic "church" child sex abuse?, probably not, doesn't mean it can't go towards it, and maybe then the bishop in Dublin can stop asking its congregation to cough up some money as it's parish is "broke".

Boost to the economy? ha ! Maybe sales of ovaltine went up.
    No i don't know. Why exactly is church in quotation marks? And yes believe it or not thousands of people coming to Ireland for the week is quite a substantial boost to the economy. Abuse victims will be looked after but that's a seperate issue to the funding of the congress. You sound like you've a huge chip on your shoulder to anything catholic related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

kowloon wrote: »
    Atheist mass never really caught on. Sure didn't most of us just do it to get Sunday off in the first place.

We do still celebrate our most holiest of holy days though.

The Feast of Maximum Occupancy.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement