Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life in Glasgow?

• 21-06-2012 2:43pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering moving to Glasgow to finish off my undergraduate degree programme, and want to ask a few questions about the city. If anyone can spare a minute to answer some of these, I would be much obliged.

- What's the cost of living like compared to Dublin? Good, bad, much the same?

- Is there decent public transport? Is it easy enough to get around without a car? Is it expensive?

- Job scene? How difficult/easy is it for students to find part-time work in Scotland?

Any general musings on life in Glasgow are also appreciated :D Is it an enjoyable place to live? Are the people nice? Are there lots of things to do and see? :P

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

My brother did his masters there, I'll point him towards the thread. He seemed to enjoy it, great club scene. Transport is good you wouldn't need a car, it has a subway! Bit cheaper than dublin but not so much you would notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

there's masses of student accomodation in Glasgow - a Flatshare in the leafy, fashionable West End (the bit next to Glasgow Uni) should cost you about £300pm, if you really wanted to you could get a one bed flat in East Kilbride (a wet, cold dormitary town about 10 miles south of the city) for about £350pm. a flatshare in the Southside (Langside, shawlands, battlefield) should cost about £250pm).

public transport is fine - its not cheap, but it is plentiful. owning a car in the city is not necessary (parking is pig anywhere where you'd be living in a tenement flat), Glasgow has a circular tube system that links the city centre with the west side of the city on both sides of the Clyde, and its reasonably good for cycling.

very roughly - and with exceptions - the North and east sides of the city are poorer, rougher, and have higher crime than the south and west sides of the city. as an example, the district of Shettleston in the East End has an average male age of mortality of about 56 - 3 miles away in Dowanhill it'll be about 80. i enjoy a bargain as much as the next man, but i'd be very, very wary as someone who didn't 'belong' in those areas of living there. pockets of the east end and northside are brilliant, but as an outsider, your chances of stumbling into them are going to be limited. the outlying towns - Hamilton, Motherwell, East Kilbride, Paisley, Renfrew, Clydebank are somewhere between boring and grim - personally i wouldn't bother.

Glasgow is a brilliant city, my favourite city in the UK - over York, Edinburgh, London and Bristol - if you can, get yourself to the west end: Hillhead, Partick, Dowanhill, Hyndland etc.. if not go for the southside: the area between Shawlands and Cathcart road.

theres a newsagent on Byres Road (it was painted orange the last time i went passed) in the west end with about 300 flat/houseshares advertised - it covers the studenty bits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Brilliant, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

For the younger crowd, the West End is best although that tends to be the most expensive. Other areas to consider as a student is the Queens Park / Mount Florida / Shawlands area of the city. Mount Florida is the first place I stayed in Glasgow when I came here in 1993!

Rail transport is top notch in Glasgow and I have always chosen to live within a 10 minute walk from a rail station in Glasgow.

Cost of living compared to Dublin? much better, you will find your money goes a lot further.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yizzer beautiful people, thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement