Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development FAS - Waterford

Options
  • 21-06-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I've been thinking about applying for the FAS software development course in Waterford, I was just wondering if anyone that has completed or is in the process of doing this course has any details on the hours, the SRA Aptitude test and location of the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

I did this course about 12 years ago. It's very good. It may have changed but when I did it they started with ECDL then you learned VB, windows administration and basic web design. I started the course with virtually no IT skills other than MS Word and even though I didn't apply myself I came out with with MCP in VB, the ECDL obviously and able to hand code HTML (it was a start at least ;-).

The aptitude test is a little different to other aptitude tests I've taken. I'd definitely advise getting a sample version. The questions are not difficult once you know how to work through them but recognizing how to work through it is important - once you do one you'll fly through the rest but if you haven't seen these type of questions before the first one may take a while. That was my experience anyway it may be different for you.

Back then the course was held in FAS Waterford which is beside the IT if I remember correctly. The aptitude test was also held there.

It was a long time ago so things may be very different now. But I suspect it's still a very worthwhile course.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Freddio

I did a FAS course in IT 12 years ago. It didn't prepare me for anything and in the end I was giving lectures to the class at the instructor's request.

I would recommend you either go to college or learn yourself as a junior developer in a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tbh I wouldn't bother with any FÁS IT courses. In my last job they sent a decent survey around to see what employers wanted people to know, so maybe in the future they'll be useful, but I haven't seen any good ones before.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

If it is a full-time day course, the hours at most FAS training centres are 8:30 - 4 Mon-Thursday (finish around 1 on a Friday).

You'll get a lot out of the course if you put a lot in. You can coast along if you want, but that will be entirely down to you. It will be down to you to push yourself to learn more than the course contents - the trainer has their objectives, you will have yours.

Find out as much as you can about the course before you apply. My experience is that FAS courses are very slow to change (incredibly slow). Those surveys that Dave! mentioned tend to be more about ensuring quality procedures are in place at FAS, as opposed to actually listening to what businesses want. If that was the case, they would be quicker to change their course material.

The quality of trainers varies, so I'd go to the FAS centre you're planning to go to and chat to current participants to get their verdict.

Finally, if there is not a work experience module to the course, see Freddio's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hitcher182

Thanks for the advise everyone! How would I go about training into a Junior Developer at a Company, Freddio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jaja2589

i am currently attending this course and despite popular belief and misinformed users, the following are the facts

the course modules
    communications
    Java
    MySQL
    visual basic
    project management
    13 week work placement
    48 weeks in class
    some php and c plus may be covered along with some java script

in total course runs for 61 weeks

Hitcher182 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise everyone! How would I go about training into a Junior Developer at a Company, Freddio?
    Most charities are constantly looking for people. Get a project under your belt and then use that as ammunition in an interview for the junior roles you see on the job boards that you are interested in.

The beauty about coding is that all the information and a majority of the development tools are available free on the internet.

Also I have seen whole semesters from Stanford University videoed and available free on iTunes and FAS wouldn't come close to this

jaja2589 wrote: »
    i am currently attending this course and despite popular belief and misinformed users, the following are the facts

the course modules
    communications
    Java
    MySQL
    visual basic
    project management
    13 week work placement
    48 weeks in class
    some php and c plus may be covered along with some java script

in total course runs for 61 weeks

sounds like a lot of very litte ...

what does 'communications' teach?
    is it Visual Basic 6 or .NET?
    HTML should be an integral part of this list...
    Do you have to find the work placement yourself?

sounds like a lot of very litte ...

what does 'communications' teach?
    is it Visual Basic 6 or .NET?
    HTML should be an integral part of this list...
    Do you have to find the work placement yourself?

well it teaches how to get work, CV creation, interview skills, project management with software--used cases, smart draw, visio ect, and obviously html is included, work placement is got by yourself but help is offered , visual basic and perhaps .net depending on time restraints, considering its the same as a year in college and probably two years depending on the module, for example java

and btw you can indeed learn all you want on-line but without official credit and proof of education, more than likely your cv will end up in the bin if you apply for a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

jaja2589 wrote: »
    and btw you can indeed learn all you want on-line but without official credit and proof of education, more than likely your cv will end up in the bin if you apply for a job

This is the reality for most the industry, where the standard practice is no degree = no interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The good old HR dept/Agency filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 QuincyQuinn

Anyone known where i can get some sample papers for the SRA aptitude test for this coures or give some idea whats in the aptitude test...

thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

It's well over a decade since I did this test but I *think* that they give an example of a question and solution at the start of the test. So, you could try asking FAS for an old exam paper and just go through that. Once you do one they are easy. It's just a matter of getting into flow of them because they are a little different to the normal tests.

That said it was a long time ago. jaja2589 has already pointed out that the syllabus has changed (glad to hear it's still a great course though :o) and it's completely possible that also use a different brand of aptitude tests.

Ask FAS if they can give you an old sample paper. The worst they can do is say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 QuincyQuinn

It's well over a decade since I did this test but I *think* that they give an example of a question and solution at the start of the test. So, you could try asking FAS for an old exam paper and just go through that. Once you do one they are easy. It's just a matter of getting into flow of them because they are a little different to the normal tests.

That said it was a long time ago. jaja2589 has already pointed out that the syllabus has changed (glad to hear it's still a great course though :o) and it's completely possible that also use a different brand of aptitude tests.

Ask FAS if they can give you an old sample paper. The worst they can do is say No.

I think your right on harm in asking, thanks for you feed back

Advertisement