Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psych(e!)ics & Mediums

• 21-06-2012 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

In light of the publicity Psychic Wayne is getting...

...Are there any so called psychics or mediums operating on Boards?

I personally find these people reprehensible. Preying on the grieving/emotional/desperate to make money.

They are liars. Plain and simple.

I'd love to be proved wrong, who wouldn't want to hear from a family member that's passed on?

No proof whatsoever they can contact the dead or tell me (specifically) about my future.

Also,

Why is it, when they're talking to the dead, do they 'get' the first letter right from the person that's supposedly trying to contact you, yet they never get the persons name, but then they're able to tell you sentences they're communicating to the medium?

Here's a funny clip of a 'psychic' failing miserably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07UzTcApMI

How do you feel about them, AH?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I went to one with my girlfriend for the craic. She ended up giving me a refund, turns out the spirits didn't want to talk to me, stuck up fúcking spirits:D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Bad Panda wrote: »

Oh I'm sure they know how I feel about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I went to one with my girlfriend for the craic. She ended up giving me a refund, turns out the spirits didn't want to talk to me, stuck up fúcking spirits:D

Ah, "I'm sorry, nobody's coming through for you, it happens..." :pac:

Edit: Any psychics willing to stand up for their profession....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I hate them and any time i hear of person going to see one i lose a little respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i love to call shenanigans. i will say it at every chance i get but nothing pleases me more to scream shenanigans when someone is talking about mediums or psychics and their "ability".

SHENANIGANS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Although I'm strictly atheist I can see them filling a function, such as soothing the grieving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I predict this thread will remain open and that phycic bashing season shall commence forthwidth in a way only the crazy folks of after hours can do.................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

biko wrote: »
    Although I'm strictly atheist I can see them filling a function, such as soothing the grieving.

For a price of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

By lying and giving false hope? Nah. I'd suggest grievance counselling over these BS merchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Their function is taking money from idiots, and I can get behind that.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

I know they might believe or are just looking for answers, but I don't think it's up the psychic to outright lie to these people and take their money while doing it.

Regardless if the the person thinks they're being comforted - they're being tricked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

haha, ah that guy fell hard. He was trying to use profiling to do it.

Any matures in the front.

Yep, that woman there, chances are her mother is dead. Old women usually have aches in their bones... right I'll go with leading those and maybe she'll give me something to re-inforce...

I stopped watching there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I dont agree with that, thats just like people believing in god because if they dont they feel they have no hope. They just do it to make themselves feel better, thats never a good enough reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cold reading scumbags. They disgust me.

haha, ah that guy fell hard. He was trying to use profiling to do it.

And speaking really quickly at times so as not to give the 'readee' an opportunity to refute what he's saying...

Master of the Universe

'err...um...Was your mother buried?'

Seriously?

SERIOUSLY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I personally find these people reprehensible. Preying on the grieving/emotional/desperate to make money.

I'd love to be proved wrong, who wouldn't want to hear from a family member that's passed on?

No proof whatsoever they can contact the dead or tell me (specifically) about my future.

Also,

Why is it, when they're talking to the dead, do they 'get' the first letter right from the person that's supposedly trying to contact you, yet they never get the persons name, but then they're able to tell you sentences they're communicating to the medium?

I sense you are a skeptic?

And you like chocolate ice cream.

Sindri wrote: »

Actually I don't like chocolate ice cream! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i would have went with bamboo and played the odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

...Are there any so called psychics or mediums chuggers operating on Boards?

fyp

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Do you know what the video in the OP reminds me of?

Mrs. Doyle: Father Hank Tree. Father Hiroshima Twinkie. Father Stig Bubblecard. Father Johnny Helzapoppin. Father Luke Duke. Father Billy Furley. Father Chewy Louie. Father John Hoop. Father Harry Cakelinem. Father Rabulah Conundrum. Father Pee-wee Stairmaster. Father Tri-Peglips. Father Jemimah Ractoole. Father Jerry Twig. Father Spodo Komodo. Father Canabramalamer. Father Todd Unctious.

Father Todd Unctious:
    Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,309 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I disagree. Even leaving aside the money-making aspect of it, what a medium is doing is essentially giving you false memories of your loved one based on their interpretation of your reactions. And that's pretty sick. They have to imagine what your loved one would say, and what would you be happy to hear. So once they start saying "Your *father* says *XYZ*", no matter what they're saying, they're giving you a chance to hear from your loved one from beyond the grave, but really it's just something they're making up to comfort you. Giving false memories of your final chance to hear from a loved one based on their interpretations.

Does it help the grieving? Sure, in most cases. It's still pretty wrong though, and isn't the only way, nor is it the best way to help someone through the grieving process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

^^^^^
    did you google or remember all those names?

davet82 wrote: »
    i would have went with bamboo and played the odds

He's a ****ing panda, he shouldn't be capable of contributing to internet forums in the first place! I'd expect a super genius panda to have removed bamboo from it's diet as it offers little energy or nutrients.

As an atheist would you agree that religion mainly does the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

super genius bad panda

they're two different breeds silly, both are internet capable but the bad panda is also smelly and angry, everyone knows that :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

By and large I'd agree, but I think some of them really believe their own rubbish.

A lot of the time, I get the feeling its because they feel it makes them feel extraordinary and sets them apart as special. Its the same reason I think a lot of people eschew medicine in favour of ju-ju or homeopathic voodoo or whatever.

They think it marks them apart from the herd, but really it just puts them in another herd.

A deluded one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Anyone hear got a cat called Frank?
    Anyway he says he will haunt you for having him put down.
    He also added that it was not him pissing in the flower pots, it was your grandmother after too much Blossom Hill.

Giselle wrote: »
    By and large I'd agree, but I think some of them really believe their own rubbish.

A lot of the time, I get the feeling its because they feel it makes them feel extraordinary and sets them apart as special. Its the same reason I think a lot of people eschew medicine in favour of ju-ju or homeopathic voodoo or whatever.

They think it marks them apart from the herd, but really it just puts them in another herd.

A deluded one.

Definitely. Some of them believe they have supernatural ability.

Some are nasty, like Sylvia Browne (below)

Below is from the Montel Williams show. A woman's who's husband died in 9/11...check out psychic's 'powers' in this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPBU-nwBEjw&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

you'd think the psychic could have forseen that happening and cancelled earlier :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It's a real pity, but the various churches, with their control over education and influence in the media and politics, condition people to accept and swallow all kinds of bullshit and mystical, irrational explanations when they just can't cope with reality. Seriously, if your are prepared to swallow all that guff they teach you - from the talking snake through magic trees to moving statues - what won't you believe?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just stop and think for a minute and bear in mind that we can only experience the past,because everything we see or hear has taken some tiny amount of time to reach our brains. Sound and, especially, light move fast, but nevertheless take some time to reach us. Thus we can't even properly experience the present, much less the future. If someone tells you they can experience the future by staring at tea leaves, looking into a crystal ball or stroking a goat's bollocks, they are a gobshite, and you are an even bigger one if you part with your money to them.:):)

http://illuminutti.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/charlatan.jpg?w=627

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Seems to be 3 main breeds of psychic near as I can figure.
    1. The ones that know they aren't psychic and are just milking the naive and the vulnerable for money.
    2. The ones that know they are lying but believe they are doing a good deed by offering people comfort or advice.
    3. The ones that genuinely believe they have magic powers.

I'd like to put the first lot in a big bag and throw rocks at it. They're scum, that much worse than your average conman due to the fact that the ones they are conning are people at their most vulnerable.

The second lot I'd like to pit in a big bag and pelt it with, like, pebbles or bean bags or something. They aren't meaning to cause harm but that doesn't negate the fact that they frequently do or that they are being deliberately deceitful. So its the big bag for them to.

The third lot I just kind of petty, I'd stick them in the bag all right because they have the potential to cause just as much harm as the other shower but I dont think I could bring myself to throw anything at the poor ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Definitely. Some of them believe they have supernatural ability.

Some are nasty, like Sylvia Browne (below)

Below is from the Montel Williams show. A woman's who's husband died in 9/11...check out psychic's 'powers' in this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPBU-nwBEjw&feature=related

Yep, I've seen that one. :(

Seriously, how callous do you have to be to exploit grieving people? I really despise those exploitative chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

I went to a psychic once, just for the craic. She didn't even say anything about the future, just having guesses about what sort of person I am/what was going on in my life. It was about 3 or 4 years ago so I don't remember much about what she said, but what I do remember was either wrong or stuff that was likely to be true about most people, so it would make sense to say those things to nearly everyone. 'Twas bullshít but then again I did only go with my friends for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Throw out a load of random gibberish and wait for someone to respond, great example of a successful psychic OP, if they hit 1 in 10 times they are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Also,

Well that's your opinion. You will know when you die. end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,355 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Real Life wrote: »
    I hate them and any time i hear of person going to see one i lose all respect for them.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

clearly a "psychic" sympathiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

did somebody lose someone called, I getting a M
    edit I think there is something to this as a goggle ad on this page was for a psychic reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

This reminds me of when I was growing up in West Mayo. I used to play among the sheep and cattle most of the time and play five-a-side and hurling outside by the gaelscoil. Then one day, some of the lads dared me to score a cow up the arse. So I did as they said but got caught by the priest. My ma got scared of my zoophilic intentions so she said, "You're moving in with your auntie and uncle in Blackrock, you won't find any livestock to interfere with up there."

So I whistled for a tractor along N59 and sooner or later was on the M50 South. I said "surely they don't allow tractors on the motorway" but the farmer said "don't worry yourself boi I'll have you in Blackrock in a jiffy."

So I pulled up at the D4 mansion about seven or eight and I looked my destination, I was final there. So knocked on the door and plonked me arse inside - finally taking me throne as the fresh prince of Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On one hand... i see a scumbag selling aload of crap to people :mad: lying and giving false hope ... those people are utter scum... :mad:

Whilst on the other hand,
    Life aint fair. Dog eat dog. If people are willing to pay? Why not. Its no different from what other people sell you on in life.

/ ethic crisis.

Care to put forward an argument to the contrary?

Helix wrote: »
    clearly a "psychic" sympathiser

Must be a psychic. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Con artists the lot of them, cannot stand them and its a massive bone of contention in my relationship as her older sister is ****ing mad about them.

buys them spirit and destiny magazines every week, goes to psychics and is friendly with a palm reader.

She invited him to my house to get her palm read and i went psycho ranting about how they are con artists and scum of the earth, taking money from people deperate for answers and peace of mind. I refused to be in the house with him (for fear that i would end up dragging him out by the scruff of the neck while beating him over the head with a book on common sense)

apparently when he came round to the house he was able to tell my GF that me and her were in a long time relationship and deeply in love.

No **** sherlock, we are living together, you are mates with her sister (so probably have heard) and there are photos of me and my GF in the sitting room where you are.

Christ i'm getting angry now again

danniemcq wrote: »
    Con artists the lot of them, cannot stand them and its a massive bone of contention in my relationship as her older sister is ****ing mad about them.

buys them spirit and destiny magazines every week, goes to psychics and is friendly with a palm reader.

She invited him to my house to get her palm read and i went psycho ranting about how they are con artists and scum of the earth, taking money from people deperate for answers and peace of mind. I refused to be in the house with him (for fear that i would end up dragging him out by the scruff of the neck while beating him over the head with a book on common sense)

apparently when he came round to the house he was able to tell my GF that me and her were in a long time relationship and deeply in love.

No **** sherlock, we are living together, you are mates with her sister (so probably have heard) and there are photos of me and my GF in the sitting room where you are.

Christ i'm getting angry now again

Haha what a clown!

I'd have used the opportunity to ambush him with somebody you know, but your girlfriend's sister doesn't.

"I'm sensing....a friendship in the room.."

They really p!ss me off too. Should be a law against professing to bullsh!t like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I had my palm read by a lady in Dublin about 4 and a half years ago. Myself and a few friends just went for the craic really. Anyway, she was able to describe my boyfriend, name is brother and tell me their father had died very recently- he'd died 2 days before. She told my friend, the biggest skeptic of us all, she would meet and marry a blonde haired guy called Paul. She met a guy called Paul matching that description a year later and they are now engaged. Told my other friend that she would live in a house beside a church with a view of the sea and thats exactly the sort of place she lived with a boyfriend two years later- he owned the place.

She didnt look at my face once to look for a reaction, just at my palm. I'm still skeptical but I have no shame in saying I was impressed :pac: There is some serious con artists out there though, most definitely.

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I had my palm read by a lady in Dublin about 4 and a half years ago. Myself and a few friends just went for the craic really. Anyway, she was able to describe my boyfriend, name is brother and tell me their father had died very recently- he'd died 2 days before. She told my friend, the biggest skeptic of us all, she would meet and marry a blonde haired guy called Paul. She met a guy called Paul matching that description a year later and they are now engaged. Told my other friend that she would live in a house beside a church with a view of the sea and thats exactly the sort of place she lived with a boyfriend two years later- he owned the place.

She didnt look at my face once to look for a reaction, just at my palm. I'm still skeptical but I have no shame in saying I was impressed :pac: There is some serious con artists out there though, most definitely.

I think you remember it how you want to remember it. If I walk into her and didn't utter a word, she would not be able to name my girlfriend. I gaurantee it. :)

Did she actually come out and say you're father died recently? See, she probably said 'there's been a death'. Most people who go to these con artist have suffered a recent loss too so..

She sounds like she has the game down to tee though. Some of them are very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Ha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I loved the Derren Browne episode where he completely discredited the Liverpool chap.
    Derek Ackorah has also been shown up to be a sham but the believers still flock like sheep.
    The best setup I've seen is where the BBC reporter creates a fake website with some makey uppey history on an old London lane.
    They invite a couple of mediums to see if they could sense any troubled history & both spouted the bogus website reports.

These people prey on those who are easily led & convinced, quite sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I think you remember it how you want to remember it. If I walk into her and didn't utter a word, she would not be able to name my girlfriend. I gaurantee it. :)

Did she actually come out and say you're father died recently? See, she probably said 'there's been a death'. Most people who go to these con artist have suffered a recent loss too so..

She sounds like she has the game down to tee though. Some of them are very good.

Absolutely this- it's confirmation bias at its best. I had a friend attend years ago after a loss in the family, again with the 'oh she told me so many accurate things' but this session was taped, and when we watched the tape it was amazing how much information the 'psychic' fished for without my friend even realising, she hadn't even realised she was nodding a little to various ideas thrown out. Sad really, not a sneery sad, but a little bit of my heart broke for her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement