Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psych(e!)ics & Mediums

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Paully D wrote: »
    A friend of mine attended one in a different county to the one she lives in, only giving her first name when making the appointment (no other details). Yet the medium was able to tell her about her close friend plus nan and grandad who had passed away, phrases they used to say to her, nicknames they had and lots of other things. One such example is she told her that her sons girlfriend was a danger to him - the next week something did happen which proved her to be correct. Maybe that part about her sons girlfriend was pure coincidence but the stuff about her dead friends and relations was bang on.

I'd be skeptical myself but the above was very surprising to me.

its cold reading, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Just out of interest, are there angel guidance practitioners out there claiming to be psychic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Just out of interest, are there angel guidance practitioners out there claiming to be psychic?

how else are they supposed to be able to communicate with angels

it's the very same thing, both claim to be "getting messages" from another realm - one from dead people, the other from angels

*edit*

here's an explanation of angel reading, the word "psychic" is used on the page eleven times

http://suite101.com/article/what-is-an-angel-reader-a204316

Helix wrote: »
    ah here, when i say they're the same i'm not talking about method. i'm talking about the fact that it's all pretend. it's make believe. the medium being used changes, as does the method but the underpinning fraudulent nature of it remains constant

you went to a psychic years ago and believed it then but not any more. yet now you have no problem thinking that angel readers are grand

ever thought you might just be a little gullible?

Yes, I went to a psychic many years ago, just out of inerest after I broke up with my first boyfriend. She knew alot about my situation and it was something I believed in at the time. I went back twice more in the 9 years both readings were very, very poor, so this must have changed my mind about them.

But more recently I went to an angel guidance practitioner who uses angel cards and gives a reading using those cards. I was going through a troubling time and I believe in angels. After doing some googling on angels I found out about angel readings and there was a woman a few villages down from me who did these readings. On a whim, I made an appointment and went. I didn't know what to expect. It was so different from a psychic reading. It was beautiful and positive. More emotional. The angel reading doesn't claim to tell your future and that is how it differs from the psychic readings. If you are facing a problem, it will guide you. AH and personal issues forum would have done the same thing, to be quite honest. The reading was beautiful and positive. It helped me move forward from a problem.

Yes, I went to a psychic many years ago, just out of inerest after I broke up with my first boyfriend. She knew alot about my situation and it was something I believed in at the time. I went back twice more in the 9 years both readings were very, very poor, so this must have changed my mind about them.

But more recently I went to an angel guidance practitioner who uses angel cards and gives a reading using those cards. I was going through a troubling time and I believe in angels. After doing some googling on angels I found out about angel readings and there was a woman a few villages down from me who did these readings. On a whim, I made an appointment and went. I didn't know what to expect. It was so different from a psychic reading. It was beautiful and positive. More emotional. The angel reading doesn't claim to tell your future and that is how it differs from the psychic readings. If you are facing a problem, it will guide you. AH and personal issues forum would have done the same thing, to be quite honest. The reading was beautiful and positive. It helped me move forward from a problem.

you realise the guy isnt really talking to angels right? it's no different to someone talking to the dead

how else are they supposed to be able to communicate with angels

it's the very same thing, both claim to be "getting messages" from another realm - one from dead people, the other from angels

*edit*

here's an explanation of angel reading, the word "psychic" is used on the page eleven times

http://suite101.com/article/what-is-an-angel-reader-a204316

The lady that I went to for my angel reading never claimed to receive messages from another realm. She had her cards spread on the table and she was drawn to certain cards which she picked and place face up in one of three piles. All the cards came and fitted together for my reafing.

The lady that I went to for my angel reading never claimed to receive messages from another realm. She had her cards spread on the table and she was drawn to certain cards which she picked and place face up in one of three piles. All the cards came and fitted together for my reafing.

so if there's nothing from another realm in what she's doing, why is it called an angel reading?

you realise the guy isnt really talking to angels right? it's no different to someone talking to the dead

Yes I do realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Isnt that just being told what you wanted to hear?

Yes I do realise.

so how do you tally the fact that you know there's no contact with angels there, to the whole idea of an angel reading? doesnt that seem completely, well, ridiculous, that you know they're not communicating with angels, yet you pay your money to go see them communicating with angels?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

While I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that psychics and their equivilents are fakes, what I'm still not decided on is whether they believe their own crap. It would make me very sad to think that they are all out to exploit vulnerable people. I'd hope most are people who have an inate talent at cold reading but believe it comes from another world / dimension / whatever. However, I expect the majority do know about their own fakeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheFreshPrince

Just for the record folks, I will be publishing my phone bill for everyone to see asap. Hopefully this will be the final nail in the coffin for these hack snake-oil peddlers and their ilk.
    The first call i.e. the Fresh Prince prank, I was on hold for 10 minutes before getting through to Wayne. The total time was approx 15 minutes, total cost of call approx €36.
    The next night I attempted to call back, at first the call was rejected, but I tried a second time and surprisingly, my call went through. I am calling from a regular landline so my number had not changed. This time I was left on hold for a full 20 minutes with no connection to the studio before being cut off. Total call cost, approx €48.

So the total for 2 calls, one of which got through to the "psychic" Waynker for a total of 3 mins ,and the second of which was left on hold for 20 mins then dropped. Approx €84

I will publish the Bill asap. Now I know that some people will think,well you deserve it if you're gonna call a premium line where the price is clearly displayed. But I think this is missing the point. In the article in yesterdays Star, Wayne states in no uncertain terms that "No call is ever more than four minutes long". This is clearly not true, and is a blatant ruse to try to promote this garbage and encourage more callers , trolls and genuine callers alike. Its all cash to them anyway.

The Trolls are well aware it will cost them, but they call anyway to try to expose this show for the farce that it is. However, as clearly demonstrated over the last few days, especially last night when a disabled lady called and was promptly cut off, most of the calls are from genuinely lonely,sick and or depressed people, who are reaching out for help. And these leeches are gladly misleading them and relieving them of what little cash they have in these recessionary times.

I do hope that this campaign will continue and that this fiasco will be shut down promptly, and I feel that the license payers deserve a full and frank apology from TV3, after this their second abuse of the airwaves.

Thanks again for all of your support and for keeping this alive.

so how do you tally the fact that you know there's no contact with angels there, to the whole idea of an angel reading? doesnt that seem completely, well, ridiculous, that you know they're not communicating with angels, yet you pay your money to go see them communicating with angels?

You're not paying them to communicate with angels nor are you there to see them communicate with angels. You're there for a guidance session in which angel cards are used. The cards have beuatiful images and meanings. There are also messages and prayers. What happens with an angel reading is that the reader or you, if you are picking (i was allowed to pick some cards) will be drawn to a card and that will be your own angel communicating with you by 'telling' you to stop at a certain card, giving you a nudge or a feeling on a particular card.

You're going to believe in angels for it, I'm guessing. I'm not a major follower of angels but I do believe in them.

Just for the record folks, I will be publishing my phone bill for everyone to see asap. Hopefully this will be the final nail in the coffin for these hack snake-oil peddlers and their ilk.
    The first call i.e. the Fresh Prince prank, I was on hold for 10 minutes before getting through to Wayne. The total time was approx 15 minutes, total cost of call approx €36.
    The next night I attempted to call back, at first the call was rejected, but I tried a second time and surprisingly, my call went through. I am calling from a regular landline so my number had not changed. This time I was left on hold for a full 20 minutes with no connection to the studio before being cut off. Total call cost, approx €48.

So the total for 2 calls, one of which got through to the "psychic" Waynker for a total of 3 mins ,and the second of which was left on hold for 20 mins then dropped. Approx €84

I will publish the Bill asap. Now I know that some people will think,well you deserve it if you're gonna call a premium line where the price is clearly displayed. But I think this is missing the point. In the article in yesterdays Star, Wayne states in no uncertain terms that "No call is ever more than four minutes long". This is clearly not true, and is a blatant ruse to try to promote this garbage and encourage more callers , trolls and genuine callers alike. Its all cash to them anyway.

The Trolls are well aware it will cost them, but they call anyway to try to expose this show for the farce that it is. However, as clearly demonstrated over the last few days, especially last night when a disabled lady called and was promptly cut off, most of the calls are from genuinely lonely,sick and or depressed people, who are reaching out for help. And these leeches are gladly misleading them and relieving them of what little cash they have in these recessionary times.

I do hope that this campaign will continue and that this fiasco will be shut down promptly, and I feel that the license payers deserve a full and frank apology from TV3, after this their second abuse of the airwaves.

Thanks again for all of your support and for keeping this alive.

I rang a horoscope phoneline (an irish one) not so long ago and it ate all my credit within a few minutes. Just topped up right before making the call too. Maddening. So sorry you had to go through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

krudler wrote: »
    because they only use their "powers" for the good of humankind (for a fee)

theres some prize of a million quid for the first person to prove they're psychic, its never been claimed.

Yep. James Randi's institute has had a cash prize of a million dollars (or equivalent) since the '70's for the first person to prove psychic ability.

What's important to note is that subjects would be chosen that believe in psychics too in order to observe a reading.

Shockingly, only a couple have tried their luck and failed miserably and the rest 'don't have to prove themselves'. Yeah.

What 'psychic' wouldn't want that money? Especially considering they're taking money off people for readings in the first place, so it is, kind of about money too (assuming they want to help people!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

going to go against the grain here, I do believe some people are more sensitive to peoples emotions, it doesn't really matter what you call it or how it is termed be it cold or hot reading and I don't believe it is a supernatural thing. In fact it's very natural, its just that most people become closed off to other peoples feelings as they grow, given life is complicated enough without having to deal with other peoples issues, some people retain a childlike ability to tune into and react with their environment and the people in it. Basically I think that's what being "psychic" is, just being highly ensitive or aware of things that would otherwise go unnoticed. It's got **** all to do with communicating with the deceased or predicting the future.

I think they would make for good counsellors, nurses or ministers and many of them do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'd recommend people here check out the movie Red Lights. Just out in the cinema now. Was impressed with it. Doesn't have that great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, I think they were harsh on it.

You're not paying them to communicate with angels nor are you there to see them communicate with angels. You're there for a guidance session in which angel cards are used. The cards have beuatiful images and meanings. There are also messages and prayers. What happens with an angel reading is that the reader or you, if you are picking (i was allowed to pick some cards) will be drawn to a card and that will be your own angel communicating with you by 'telling' you to stop at a certain card, giving you a nudge or a feeling on a particular card.

You're going to believe in angels for it, I'm guessing. I'm not a major follower of angels but I do believe in them.

and where does the guidance come from? angels via the angel cards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone else see the ad banner for a "free" psychic reading running on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Babybuff wrote: »

I think they would make for good counsellors, nurses or ministers and many of them do.

Most certainly not, they would make the worst kind.

Odysseus wrote: »

I'm referring to the kind of people that I consider fall under the category of senstives, ie: those in touch with others feelings and who have an innate desire to help others, not the one put forward by people who consider the term "psychic" representative of a host of money grabbing lying thieves. Is why I thought it necessary to distinguish between the two but you took my post out of context anyway.

I'm referring to the kind of people that I consider fall under the category of senstives, ie: those in touch with others feelings and who have an innate desire to help others, not the one put forward by people who consider the term "psychic" representative of a host of money grabbing lying thieves. Is why I thought it necessary to distinguish between the two but you took my post out of context anyway.

I not, I'm referring to the "senstives" the most difficult part of therapy is keeping your opinion to yourself, and most of the type you refer too; in my experience would make very bad therapists. Its about allowing every client to be totally different.

The idea of the ability to read others would go against most therapies.

I not, I'm referring to the "senstives" the most difficult part of therapy is keeping your opinion to yourself, and most of the type you refer too; in my experience would make very bad therapists. Its about allowing every client to be totally different.

The idea of the ability to read others would go against most therapies.
    I think the ability to empathise with others has gone under appreciated in the area of servicing humanity, be it nursing, counselling or ministry of some kind.
    Obviously you are referring to your own area of study, where the ability to actively listen is probably a more desirable tool to have. Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Empathy is great. Skilled manipulators, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,355 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Absolutely. Private colleges are churning them out by the battalion with their diplomas in compounding problems they really don't understand. Statutory regulation - the sooner the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 gnag

While I do believe in the other worldly, I think anyone who actually calls themselves a psychic and is making money off it is a rip off artist. I went to one on a fair day years ago for the fun, but needless to say she was not very psychic. It was only for entertainment really. Its the people who are very invested in hearing from a loved one I feel sorry for. These charlatans are preying on vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

If they tell you something and it doesnt happen can you demand a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm in two minds about this. Up until recently I didn't believe in it but my aunts do.

One of my aunts died a month ago and her two sisters went to a medium a couple of weeks ago.
    They didn't give names or letters of my aunt or other relations. They said that she didn't just say "this person who has recently passed on..." or anything like that. She gave names. Full names!

She also said that my grandad wants my granny to look after her legs. He died 10 years ago and my granny wasn't diagnosed with arthritis and diabetes then. Also, she said our aunt is with her other sibling who died at birth. That sibling is rarely ever talked about as it's a sore subject with my granny.

It has confused me greatly if I'm honest and I kinda wish I didn't know they had gone or what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

gnag wrote: »
    While I do believe in the other worldly, I think anyone who actually calls themselves a psychic and is making money off it is a rip off artist. I went to one on a fair day years ago for the fun, but needless to say she was not very psychic. It was only for entertainment really. Its the people who are very invested in hearing from a loved one I feel sorry for. These charlatans are preying on vulnerable people.

You have as much proof of "the other world", as you have of that person not being a psychic....

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about this. Up until recently I didn't believe in it but my aunts do.

One of my aunts died a month ago and her two sisters went to a medium a couple of weeks ago.
    They didn't give names or letters of my aunt or other relations. They said that she didn't just say "this person who has recently passed on..." or anything like that. She gave names. Full names!

She also said that my grandad wants my granny to look after her legs. He died 10 years ago and my granny wasn't diagnosed with arthritis and diabetes then. Also, she said our aunt is with her other sibling who died at birth. That sibling is rarely ever talked about as it's a sore subject with my granny.

It has confused me greatly if I'm honest and I kinda wish I didn't know they had gone or what was said.

In fairness, you yourself weren't at the reading, so you are only hearing it from second hand. I can be pretty sure that what your aunts told you happened is a very romantic view of reality. People choose to remember things as they like to remember them and will want to find a connection to something vague that the "psychic" has said to them.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever use a Ouija board? Back in college I tried it with 2 other people. Its the one time I questioned whether there could be truth to any of this mumbo jumbo. The thing that frightened me was that it spelt out a deceased member of my families name. The other two present wouldn't have known of this person.

Anyone ever use a Ouija board? Back in college I tried it with 2 other people. Its the one time I questioned whether there could be truth to any of this mumbo jumbo. The thing that frightened me was that it spelt out a deceased member of my families name. The other two present wouldn't have known of this person.

May I ask what the surname was?

lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The police are closing in on The Rock too, we'll have evidence any day now.

Well how do explain it, the glass moved on its own accord, everyone present swore they didn't manipulate it. I'm as sceptical as they come but it left me dumbfounded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well how do explain it, the glass moved on its own accord, everyone present swore they didn't manipulate it. I'm as sceptical as they come but it left me dumbfounded.

This just in, they moved it.

Its ok man,we all have things happen to us that we cannot explain,and when you try and tell people they just laugh or try and tell you your crazy.

It is possible that the spirits moved the glass or even the devil himself,who are we to say it didnt happen?

I think you should try the experiment again,tonight maybe and on your own and make a recording of it then people have to believe.

It is possible that the spirits moved the glass or even the devil himself,who are we to say it didnt happen?.
    bbnf4B.jpg

I'm aware it could have moved by the two living beings beside me. The thing that unnerved was the name of the person mentioned, unless they went looking up my family tree its not somebody they would have known.

• Advertisement

Unless of course, it was just a random name that came up?! We've explained the movement. Isn't it possible you all went with a random irish surname. Like browne or something?

Liamario wrote: »
    Unless of course, it was just a random name that came up?! We've explained the movement. Isn't it possible you all went with a random irish surname. Like browne or something?

The name was Michael O'Neill my mothers father, common Irish name enough I suppose. I'm open to the fact that they could have researched this and set me up, they never let me in on the joke though and seemed as perplexed as I was at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

To me, I didn't see the angel reading as a waste of money. To me I came away happy, relaxed and positive from a situation that was dragging me down for ages.

This is something that I came across on boards - the difference between tarot and angel cards:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66633772
    The only difference is the pictures and the names. The vague platitudes are still the same.
    Reiketsu wrote: »
    It was my ex' father that had died, but yes, she specifically said father. I'm aware there's usually a vagueness in their readings so they can apply to anyone, but I've no idea how she was able to say this stuff for 3 people and have it happen.
    If 'father' hadn't gotten a hit, it would have been 'grandfather', or 'father figure'. As has been said previously; psychics are well aware that most of the people who visit them would have gone through a loss recently. When you take into account that the term 'recently' is relative the net gets even wider; when the person is close to you is 'recently' a week ago? A fortnight? A month? Two months?
    It boils down to you paying a complete stranger to tell you 'you'll get through this', while playing on your emotions. If you had a recording of the session you'd probably notice that listening to it with some detachment would show how vague the advice actually was.
    Mars Bar wrote: »

When your aunts made the booking they probably gave their names. It doesn't take much to go through the obituaries and see if any of their relations had recently died as most obituaries will say something along the lines of "...is survived by their mother Eileen, sister Mary, and brother John."

An elderly lady is likely to have problems with arthritis. 'Look after your legs' is very vague and could be translated into arthritis, breaking a leg, dropping something hot and burning legs, falling over the dog, or any other leg injury that could conceivably happen at any point in the future. "You're grandmother will shortly be diagnosed with diabetes" would have been a lot more impressive.

As for the sibling who had died at birth, it's impossible to know without having a recording of the reading, but I'd suspect it was something like:
    "I'm sensing that your aunt is with someone who died before their time...**gauge level of emotion demonstrated, perhaps a remark from client**...They were taken very young, perhaps in childhood...**gauge reaction**". Even if you don't say anything a skilled reader can get a lot of information from unconcious nodding and body language.

My cousin went to a psychic recently and came back saying that she had known about the young brother she had been supposed to look after when he had wandered off and fallen into a ditch, and drowned. After a bit of probing it transpired that the psychic had actually said something more along the lines of 'John forgives you' and my cousin fitted it to her brother, rather than to any of the dozens of other Johns she may have let down or argued with over the years. "John forgives you" is a starting point to anything from 'you've been blaming yourself for his death' to 'you wouldn't go out with him', or even 'you once accidentally spilled coke on his laptop'. Hells, I knew a guy called John and I thought he was a bit of a twat; 'John forgives you' could cover that too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. That cnut on TV3 just said, "we all need help at times, I need help too. If you need help your first port of call should be a psychic":mad:

I see so much damage caused by people interfering in what should be left to professionals. Should be outlawed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

That cnut on TV3 just said, "we all need help at times, I need help too. If you need help your first port of call should be a psychic":mad:

If only there was some trading standard to stop claims like that crap, as well as claims that the likes of homeopathic 'medicine' works, or that crystals will save you from scurvy or whatever.

Or even that God will save you from temptation.

I've a big muffin in front of me and no god is saving me from it, I can tell you.

Giselle wrote: »
    If only there was some trading standard to stop claims like that crap, as well as claims that the likes of homeopathic 'medicine' works, or that crystals will save you from scurvy or whatever.

Or even that God will save you from temptation.

I've a big muffin in front of me and no god is saving me from it, I can tell you.

The amount of people that go to these people before they come to me, after spending a fortune. The I suppose people want quick fixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

The amount of people that go to these people before they come to me, after spending a fortune. The I suppose people want quick fixes.

Its human nature to sometimes suspend rationality when an easy solution presents itself.

The worst aspect of that is that (I would suspect) its the most traumatised or psychologically aching who feel able to do the real work of recovery the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I thought this was going to be about the tv show Psych! (a guy who becomes a fake psychic private detective in order to get out of doing jail time)

very dissapoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

About 11 years ago a friend of mine organised a "psychic" night at her place.
    I thought "Great, we'll get pissed have a laugh" etc etc.
    I was the last to arrive, vino in tow waiting for the merriment.
    I arrived to a somewhat sombre room, not the usual with our group.

6 people in the group, 2 had readings with this psychic before.
    Only myself and one other were total sceptics and just saw it as fun, so we went last.
    The other sceptic went before me and when she came out was white as a sheet. This gave me a touch of the heebie jeebies but never the less I went in.

I gave the psychic no tells, no responses other than yes-no etc.

To this day, I cannot explain how they knew what they knew about me and my family.
    I'm not talking random stuff like "Is there a Mary in the family" or "Do you know someone with back problems?"

This psychic gave me exact names and the relationship to me, how they had died and then the f8cking bombshell, this person had a message. There was no way in hell they could have been so exact, not in a million.

As it turns out, what he had told the other sceptic in the group was uber private(something only herself and one other person knew):eek:

Go figure but needless to say it did open my mind;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

"I'm an atheist, hear me ROAR!! (And get angry, hate the world and be all pretentious and condescending and talk all day about the fact that I don't believe in something because I used my head once and watched documentaries by Richard Dawkins)"

"I'm religious, hear me BULL$HIT!!"

"I'm a psychic, watch me going SCHIZO!!"

"I'm a medium, I SEE DEAD PEOPLE, ARRRGHHH!!"

Advertisement