Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your second team

• 21-06-2012 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Do you have a second team or a team you half follow?I support Man United but I follow Juve and Dortmunds results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Manchester United reserves :pac:

Seriously....Luton Town & Sampdoria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a billion teams I follow after Wanderers.

Chelsea (the first team I followed), Atlético Madrid and Rayo Vallecano (from living in Madrid), Zbrojovka Brno (from living there) are the main ones.

I usually find one team in every league I have some sort of interest in to follow. For example, Aberdeen in Scotland, Schalke in Germany, Marseille in France, Inter in Italy, Porto in Portugal, PSV in Holland, Red Star in Serbia, VPS in Finland ('cause of a friend of mine who's fanatical about them)... the list runs a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Sampdoria here too. I think they owe a debt to network 2 for airing the italian soccer highlights all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

AC Milan.

Always loved their jersey and watching them play on Sundays all those years ago.

Favourite AC player was probably Maldini, close call between himself and Baresi, current favourite is Ibrahimovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sampdoria here too. I think they owe a debt to network 2 for airing the italian soccer highlights all those years ago.

Yup thats what did it for me :) I think I liked the stripes on their jersey too as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Malaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ireland

1264040687752.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I usually find one team in every league I have some sort of interest in to follow. For example, Aberdeen in Scotland, Schalke in Germany, Marseille in France, Inter in Italy, Porto in Portugal, PSV in Holland, Red Star in Serbia, VPS in Finland ('cause of a friend of mine who's fanatical about them)... the list runs a mile.

Same with me. Celtic in Scotland, fortuna Dusseldorf and Dortmund in Germany, Olhanense in Portugal, Napoli in Italy, Wrexham & Port Vale in League 2, Partizan in Serbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I wouldn't say I follow any other team but I do keep an eye out for a few.

Pescara in Italy and Greuther Furth in Germany, purely because they made me a nice bit of profit this year! I like to see Motherwell in Scotland do well, I really hope they make the Champions League proper.

Oh and I was delighted to see Montpellier win Ligue 1 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Preston North End. Cant remember why, but I always look out for their results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blackburn Rovers is my first team. Athletic Bilbao is my second team, been over there twice in the last 15 months. Will be going this year hopefully twice before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I tend to go to games anywhere I live to get my footy fix so have ended up with a number of "second" teams over the years whose games I try to watch when possible and defo always look out for their results.

VfB Stuttgart
    Standard Liege
    Borussia Dortmund
    Limerick FC

Would be the second teams that I have spent a year or more going to their games in person whilst I lived or worked in their areas.

Have a few other teams that I look out for as well as I went to their games for under a year whilst living nearby.

Living in other countries and needing a live footy fix has pretty much turned me into a footy anorak.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

After Bohs, Tottenham would be my 2nd team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

After Cork City, it'd be Liverpool, Tranmare, Bayer Leverkusen and Sporting Gijon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No second team. Support Cork City, Man Utd and Hibs.

Do have soft spot for Swansea as used go watch them in Vetch when they had Lee Trundle and in Division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Kyoto Purple Sanga, Vancouver Whitecaps, Athletic Bilbao and Cádiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hertha BSC and Wellington Phoenix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Has anyone else taken a fondness to a team simply from playing Football Manager? There are probably 4 or 5 teams whose results I look out for after managing them in-game. In the case of Portimonense, I have even managed to attend a few games in the flesh. That was a good, if strange experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I view/support Dortmund and Liverpool equally.

Second team would be FC Tokyo after having lived in Japan a few years ago. Went to the majority of home games and got to see them win the J League Cup when I was there. League season wasn't great. Finished 5th back. Was chuffed to hear they won the league last season. Would love to go see them again in the future.

NY Red Bulls will soon be my local team. So we'll see what happens there. Already been to a few games over the years.

Don't know if I'd call them second teams or not, but I do look out for many clubs across the world. Call it having a soft spot if you want. It could be due to a certain player playing for them (Batistuta would have been an example when I was younger), having seen them play live and more often than loving the fans and city, or have just been great in the ol betting. There are so many as I've said, but I'am rather fond of Ajax, Boca Juniors, Betis and Roma it must be said. Seen all them play live in their home grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I used to keep an eye out for Juve, but recent years have shown them to be detestable scumbags.

I like watching Dortmund, and regularly feel sorry for Galway United and Mervue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Weird I know, but I've supported Liverpool for longer than I can remember and have always had a soft spot for the Toffees accross Stanley Park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I love both Sligo Rovers and HSV as first clubs. After those I follow Gamba Osaka after living there for a short while, fell in love with the ground, fans and Yasuhito Endo, also São Paulo. I watch most of their games each season unless Gamba kick off early at 5/6am.

Like to see Kickers Offenbach do well and I watch out for Suwon Bluewings results because I managed them in FM. I watch out for a lot of teams results because of FM actually. I wont bother listing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

stevieob wrote: »
    Weird I know, but I've supported Liverpool for longer than I can remember and have always had a soft spot for the Toffees accross Stanley Park!
    It's not that weird, as an Irish person you have no particular reason to hate them other than because you're supposed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No real second club. I come from a West Ham family and even supported them myself as a kid before I discovered the Shrimpers. I still keep an eye out for them but I'm beyond caring too much about them.

In fact my favourite Premier League team now would probably be Swansea. We had several tussles with them throughout the lower leagues but it was friendly enough and I'm pleased they're doing well. I quite like the way that Arsenal run themselves and like to see them do well.

Away from England I've a soft-spot for Schalke in Germany, LA Galaxy in the States and I've been to a couple of Shamrock Rovers games over here although it would be stretching things to call them a second team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

stevieob wrote: »

I've started watching some Everton games since Coleman joined them and I have grown a little soft spot for them too. Very likeable club I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Liverpool will always be my first and only team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Swansea City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

CSF wrote: »
    It's not that weird, as an Irish person you have no particular reason to hate them other than because you're supposed to.

Not going to get into the 'you shouldn't be supporting an English club' debate but I know what you mean. I've got friends who support Man United or Liverpool who hate City and Everton but they've never lived north of Essex so why would they hate their club's local rivals?

Doesn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Chelsea fan, but can't help but love Stoke.

Also Bournemouth after leading them to the Champions League in Football Manager....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

SC Olhanense, lived there and went to a couple of games including a friendly where Freddie Adu played for Belenenses!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Like to see United and Arsenal doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Troll

Go Ahead Eagles

/Troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kilkenny City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Equium wrote: »
    Has anyone else taken a fondness to a team simply from playing Football Manager? There are probably 4 or 5 teams whose results I look out for after managing them in-game. In the case of Portimonense, I have even managed to attend a few games in the flesh. That was a good, if strange experience.

Yep Murcia in Spain...i managed them in that game a few years ago, and now i always follow how they are gettin on. Toulouse in France also for same reason. I made both them clubs great, waiting for the day they get to that in reality!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Cork City, Liverpool, Celtic, Inter, Barcelona, PSG in that order and a few more which is quite sad really but at least I've been to see the above teams which makes it slightly less pathetic.

Liverpool reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I really like Newcastle as a second team. I loved watching them when Keegan and later Robson were their manager. Lately I respect how they've sorted themselves out from having an uncompetitive side with massive debt and an enormous salary bill, to having a competitive side with no debt and a modest salary bill. They've done all that by continuing to play great football. Ashley has had a lot of criticism, but they are becoming a model for how to run a club.

I also watch Barca, just for their style of play. I'm not from a League of Ireland supporting family but believe in supporting a local team so I'm trying to get interested in the league and I'm starting to support Shamrock Rovers. Finally DC United because of my links to Washington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Wrexham
    Ayr utd
    Leeds Utd
    Bala town
    Lanzarote

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork City and Liverpool.

I've been to a few West Ham and Bristol City games so I'd look out for their results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

After Leeds, I'll look out for the results of the following teams:

Dortmund, Norwich, Aberdeen, Swansea, Barca, Bilbao, Juventus and Shakhtar.

Wouldn't call any of them a 'second team' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Stenhousemuir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I used to like a few other teams (Arsenal being my no.1) when I was younger - Juventus in 2003 with Nedved, Del Piero and Trezeguet; Milan with Inzaghi, Sheva and Kaka; Real with Raul, Zidane and Figo, Feyenoord in Holland. No real teams in Germany or France.

I'd say I have no second team now, but if I had to choose I'd go with Juventus. I also like West Ham :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

1st team last seen in 20th place of League 2: Northampton Town FC, very closely followed by current Champions of Europe: Chelsea FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

chelsea fan but ive always looked out for benficas results for the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sampdoria

RTÉ used to buy football coverage from Channel 4 in the early 90's, they were a top team back them

Lombardo, Vialli, Mancini, Pagluica, just a super team and I started to follow them

Many a debate was had in the school yard over what the commentator was shouting at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Chelsea are my one and only team since 97. I would find it very difficult to support anyone else because they would never compare to my obsession with chelsea and it would just seem like a half arsed attempt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Östers IF and Hibs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It was man city but since there successful now I don't think I can. After watching the film there's only one jimmy grimble I developed a soft spot for them

• Advertisement
Advertisement