Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Tante Zoes (Dublin) recently?

Options
  • 21-06-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

There's a deal on menupages at the minute but when I went to check the reviews, I found there hadnt been a review in about a year. That makes me really suspicious. Anyone been there of late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

yellow hen wrote: »
    There's a deal on menupages at the minute but when I went to check the reviews, I found there hadnt been a review in about a year. That makes me really suspicious. Anyone been there of late?

Ya a few months ago. It was alright, wouldnt be mad to go back, but not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I could have sworn Tante Zoes had closed down a year or so ago?

Edit: It seems it did go into liquidation and was sold. It used to be a nice place, apparently not anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 311288

I went there tonight and it was the WORST customer service I have ever encountered... We booked a table for 5 o'clock and when we arrived the shutters were down... We waited in the rain for a few minutes, then rang the restaurant when I received an abrupt reply saying "I'll be out in a minute" . We waited another 15 minutes until I was forced to ring again... I received the same snotty reply... Eventually when the door was opened 20 minutes later we received an extremely poor welcome and didn't receive an apology .. We were not shown to a seat. We questioned why the restaurant was not open on time and the owner turned on us and got aggressive. We are shocked with the lack of manners shown by the owner of this restaurant who actually refused to serve us when we told her that we had a voucher (even though when confirming the booking we mentioned that we had a voucher) I would strongly discourage people from going to this restaurant. DISGRACEFUL lack of respect for a paying customer in a time when everyone is struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn't have even waited on them to open let alone make the second phone call. I'd rather go to Burger King than be treated like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think I'll be avoiding that place. There's never an excuse for that sort of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

311288 wrote: »
    I went there tonight and it was the WORST customer service I have ever encountered... We booked a table for 5 o'clock and when we arrived the shutters were down... We waited in the rain for a few minutes, then rang the restaurant when I received an abrupt reply saying "I'll be out in a minute" . We waited another 15 minutes until I was forced to ring again... I received the same snotty reply... Eventually when the door was opened 20 minutes later we received an extremely poor welcome and didn't receive an apology .. We were not shown to a seat. We questioned why the restaurant was not open on time and the owner turned on us and got aggressive. We are shocked with the lack of manners shown by the owner of this restaurant who actually refused to serve us when we told her that we had a voucher (even though when confirming the booking we mentioned that we had a voucher) I would strongly discourage people from going to this restaurant. DISGRACEFUL lack of respect for a paying customer in a time when everyone is struggling.

Sorry for being so suspicious but as this was only your second ever post, is it all true? If the above post is true, it is truly dispicable and possibly the worst restaurant experience I've ever heard off!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

311288 wrote: »

That. Absolutely unacceptable - please post to menupages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sorry for being so suspicious but as this was only your second ever post, is it all true? If the above post is true, it is truly dispicable and possibly the worst restaurant experience I've ever heard off!

I do believe it as someone I know had a similar experience (had a reservation, arrived to find shutters down, restaurant appeared closed) but as they were pressed for time they ate elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

cuilteanna wrote: »
    I do believe it as someone I know had a similar experience (had a reservation, arrived to find shutters down, restaurant appeared closed) but as they were pressed for time they ate elsewhere.

In that case, I would post that review everywhere I could. They don't deserve to stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sweetsus

This used to be my favourite restaurant and my bridesmaids arranged for me to have a hen night dinner there a couple of years ago. I haven't been back since. The service was terrible. The owner presented herself towards the end with the desserts and was so rude and snotty to everyone. I just couldn't believe it. Then they tried to charge us for a bottle of rose wine when I ordered a glass (I only got the one glass) and when queried we were only told then that rose is only sold by the bottle not by glass. We weren't told this at the time and had to argue with them about it as none of us even received the bottle to finish off. As I said used to be my favourite restaurant. my then fiance and I went there on every occasion possible but haven't been back since. noticed this board when I was trying to find out if it had improved since as I'm craving a bit of creole cooking but I think after reading this I won't bother. hopefully someone else will open up a similar restaurant with better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

Tante Zoe used to have such a good reputation! It is years since I ate there, but I suppose it went the way the rest of Temple Bar went... to Hell in a bucket!

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Was in there a few years back because they had a menu in the window for a special meal offer. When I sat at a table the waitress gave me a completely different menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 danniwanni

Recently I purchased a voucher on Deal Rush for the value of E69. This covered starter, main course, dessert and a bottle of wine for 4 people which I thought was fantastic value. We had a reservation for Friday night at 7:30pm but due to the abominable weather conditions in Dublin that evening we had trouble getting a taxi and therefore were 20 minutes late.On arrival we were greeted and told to wait. Ten minutes later the owner Michelle came over and berated us for being over a half hour late.We explained that were waiting for 10 minutes an tried to explain to her why we were late but she refused to listen to us, and was sarcastic and aggressive. She said that she cannot run her restaurant with customers like us. She told us we would have to wait 20 minutes for a table and we agreed that would be fine. We then asked if we could have a drink while we were waiting and she said yes. In the next breath she said no, we couldn't have a drink and that we had to leave because WE had created a bad vibe in the restaurant. We explained that we had prepaid for the meal and were only in Dublin for one night and she told us to take it up with Deal Rush which we did. (Deal rush were fantastic and accommodating and refunded our voucher no questions asked). My partner then asked her to reconsider as I am heavily pregnant and has just traveled many hours from Spain and was feeling very hungry and tired but she also had a snide remark for that too. I have never experienced such an unprofessional, bad attitude in my life .This exchange was in full view of other diners. When were turned out into the heavy rain another customer followed us out to tell us that he could not believe that she had publicly humiliated us like that. He was appalled with her manner and would have walked out only they had prepaid for their meal. He said he will not darken their door again and needless to say neither will we!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Bought the same voucher - booked for late may about 2 weeks in advance and this was confirmed by email. On the day the "manager" Anthony left a voicemail saying "chef had family disaster blah blah and restaurant would not open taht night". He said voucher would be honoured and left his personal mobile number - sounded very genuine but lesson learned.

Like a fool I took him at his word and rang once or twice to rearrange the booking - landline was out of action each time. Got him on the mobile late last week and wanted to booked for Wednesday evening (tonight, which happened to be our anniversary). Everything was no problem.... with the booking!

Arrived at the appointed time this evening (party of 4) and the place was locked up - no call, no email.... NOTHING! Hopefully, these people will get their karma in due course but I also think that DealRush know the people who bought the vouchers - the vouchers that are outstanding and the fact that there were major problems with this vendor - I think they should have been far more proactive on this.

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Used to really like it here but the quality of the food has really gone downhill. We went recently; we hadnt planned to eat out but they had an early bird menu on the wall outside which looked good. When we got in we were given just about every kind of menu but the early bird, and when we asked for it the waitress let out a big sigh, stormed off and pretty much threw it at us.

Ive had a few visiting clients tell me they always went there when in Dublin during the boom, and that it was quite high end (for that type of food). I get the impression they have still have notions they are high end, but theyre throwing out stodgy deep fried ****. They have a newspaper review framed on the bathroom wall which details a very different menu to the one on offer. If they dont want to do an early bird / offer thats fine, but dont advertise it then belittle your customers for asking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daswarpig

They most certainly have gone downhill. My father and cousin's, used to go to Tanta's every time they came down to Dublin for concert's, matches etc. They wouldn't go anywhere else due to the quality of the food, and the fact that it was cuisine that isn't normally on menu's around the country. i've been myself a few times and for years the food was indeed top notch.

The last time we were there (maybe 18 months ago) we ordered food and when the starter came to the table, we knew that something was different. We asked the waiter if the place was under new management and he, shocked, asked us how we knew...then went away and came back with a notepad and pen and asked us to write down everything we noticed that was different about the place. We got free wine for our troubles in fairness so even with the reduction in food quality, we still had a blast, but i don't think we'll be back. It was a great little restaurant, but the portions have gotten smaller and the ingredients have definitely been downgraded. We didn't get the terrible staff problems that i've read about above, but it just all seems to point to a restaurant on it's last legs.

Pity really...the Gumbo rocked!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Passed by the other day, mid-afternoon, so perhaps wasn't open for the evening yet or whatever but I did notice that there was no menu outside.. I have a feeling it's closed altogether...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

It's sad to read all this. Before it closed down and was ostensibly taken over, I used to go there quite regularly. Every time I went there it was great. Food was good, service was friendly and efficient, and a nice atmosphere. Very relaxed and you never felt hurried to order. Seems like it's gone to the dogs now, sadly. Any idea who's running it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elvissam1

As far as I'm aware, Tantes is no longer in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Impressive first post.

Advertisement