Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to play Acoustic Guitar

Options
  • 21-06-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well folks, just looking for a few half tips for learning the guitar.
    I looked on youtube for lesson videos but theres so many to choose from..

Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to the better videos or whatever else you think might be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Well folks, just looking for a few half tips for learning the guitar.
    I looked on youtube for lesson videos but theres so many to choose from..

Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to the better videos or whatever else you think might be helpful.

Anuything by Justinguitar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

everyone is different, and learning styles differ, just like teaching styles do.

as a result it's very hard to pin down "XYZ are the best" when it comes to this sort of thing.

when I started out all those decades ago (really) there was no interweb, DVDs and we didn't have a Betamax VHS either......

MY learning took 2 tracks.

I spent Saturday mornings in a guitar shop (now long gone, Crymble's in Ards Shopping centre) and every time one of the cool kids played a cool riff I asked to see how it was done. I'm still playing some of those runs now, 30 some years later....

the other strand was get a book. In my case, "the beatles complete". I learned one song. 3 chords in the bag.

then I learned another. 3 chords again, but I knew 2 of them already.

now I know 4 chords!!!

and so it built up.

obviously now with the web every song ever written is out there for free so it's be easier to sort that.

I see my 14 yearold doing the same now.

I learned a few lead tabs too, but never really got into all the theory required.

formal lessons are a GOOD thing too. but I reckon get a few chords under your belt first.

Advertisement