Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour issues not going away

Options
  • 21-06-2012 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice regarding a neighbour that is rented beside me,
    They have been renting there for a few years and I am the owner in my house.
    Basically over the course of the time they have been there,they have been at times noisy late at night, different people coming and going (friends, relatives), during their tenure we have had cars damaged, I have been threatened a few times each year, While it hasn't being going on all the time and relations have been quite ok even in the last 6 months, I feel they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder, they get part/all their rent paid and have complained to me they are getting less now (I get no such assistance with my mortgage (or anything now) and have survived on savings for quite a while). I have tried to be reasonable but we have had a few heated discussions, mostly about them blocking my drive (there hasn't been much of it lately), which usually ends in them threatening me with violence, I have never reported them but said I would call the landlord,to which I was told there would be consequences to that. Previously I have contacted the landlords (last year and then only years before that) but think that they likely repeat stuff verbatim from what I have said to the them (the landlords).
    I've been polite and even friendly generally but now I am withdrawing all goodwill, from now on I refuse to speak to them anymore, I have said this before but I realise that they will always bear some grudge against me for unknown slights. I dont want to be walked on and I have made it clear(and they know I dont like my drive blocked, yet they still persist in doing it from time to time) My partner has been ill lately and we have had to make immediate departures to hospital, they have told me I just need to ask them to move, they explained that their family members are ill at times and "how bad can it be" or that Im making too much of it?? I've reached the stage I am annoyed at them and the landlord, I no longer wish them to reside beside me, I am certain they have just renewed so have a year left on their lease.

I am annoyed the landlord re-let to them as last year they were spitting on our door step,throwing rubbish in our back/frontgarden, behaving in an intimidating manner (edit and noisy, it became routine that you forget about it, while recalling it, not that you are not aware of it happening), while the previous tenants have been bad (noisy till 4 am) or gangs of teens hanging around drinking, they never threatened to unleash a threat of "consequnces" especially if I approached the Gardai/Landlord. I have approached the latter before but they said I always complained about their tenants, whereas I feel they are total amateurs and dont care who resides there as long as they are paid.

I am going to allow things cool down but am looking for advice, basically there is always a threat of some form with them, they are only pleasant if goodwill exists to them regardless of what they do.

I want to tell the landlord I no longer want them to rent to these tenants next year, no matter how good things are between now and then. Any tenants they had have been bad, I want to have some input into who they let to, that sounds a lot to ask but I live here, there are other rented people that bother no one, like there are owners that bother no one.
    if the landlord re lets to them and I feel the quality of my familys life is reduced or threatened what can I do to the landlord re sueing/taking to court.
    I know I can go to the PRTB to insist the tenants leave, but I want the landlord to just say they are not letting the property again (personally I feel they will say this to the tenants). I am beginning to think I am going to have to respond to their threats as I feel we are living under a shadow of threats. They have been the masters of their own undoing in my mind, none of this should be necessary, I would like to live beside normal, responsible people, I dont mind if they are rented so long as they are considerate, not selfish, threatening cnuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Merch wrote: »
    I am looking for some advice regarding a neighbour that is rented beside me,
    They have been renting there for a few years and I am the owner in my house.
    Basically over the course of the time they have been there,they have been at times noisy late at night, different people coming and going (friends, relatives), during their tenure we have had cars damaged, I have been threatened a few times each year, While it hasn't being going on all the time and relations have been quite ok even in the last 6 months, I feel they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder, they get part/all their rent paid and have complained to me they are getting less now (I get no such assistance with my mortgage (or anything now) and have survived on savings for quite a while). I have tried to be reasonable but we have had a few heated discussions, mostly about them blocking my drive (there hasn't been much of it lately), which usually ends in them threatening me with violence, I have never reported them but said I would call the landlord,to which I was told there would be consequences to that. Previously I have contacted the landlords (last year and then only years before that) but think that they likely repeat stuff verbatim from what I have said to the tenants.
    I've been polite and even friendly generally but now I am withdrawing all goodwill, from now on I refuse to speak to them anymore, I have said this before but I realise that they will always bear some grudge against me for unknown slights. I dont want to be walked on and I have made it clear(and they know I dont like my drive blocked, yet they still persist in doing it from time to time) My partner has been ill lately and we have had to make immediate departures to hospital, they have told me I just need to ask them to move, they explained that their family members are ill at times and "how bad can it be" or that Im making too much of it?? I've reached the stage I am annoyed at them and the landlord, I no longer wish them to reside beside me, I am certain they have just renewed so have a year left on their lease.

I am annoyed the landlord re-let to them as last year they were spitting on our door step,throwing rubbish in our back/frontgarden, behaving in an intimidating manner, while the previous tenants have been bad (noisy till 4 am) or gangs of teens hanging around drinking, they never threatened to unleash a threat of "consequnces" especially if I approached the Gardai/Landlord. I have approached the latter before but they said I always complained about their tenants, whereas I feel they are total amateurs and dont care who resides there as long as they are paid.

I am going to allow things cool down but am looking for advice, basically there is always a threat of some form with them, they are only pleasant if goodwill exists to them regardless of what they do.

I want to tell the landlord I no longer want them to rent to these tenants next year, no matter how good things are between now and then. Any tenants they had have been bad, I want to have some input into who they let to, that sounds a lot to ask but I live here, there are other rented people that bother no one, like there are owners that bother no one.
    if the landlord re lets to them and I feel the quality of my familys life is reduced or threatened what can I do to the landlord re sueing/taking to court.
    I know I can go to the PRTB to insist the tenants leave, but I want the landlord to just say they are not letting the property again (personally I feel they will say this to the tenants). I am beginning to think I am going to have to respond to their threats as I feel we are living under a shadow of threats. They have been the masters of their own undoing in my mind, none of this should be necessary, I would like to live beside normal, responsible people, I dont mind if they are rented so long as they are considerate, not selfish, threatening cnuts.

Threats and intimidation are a matter for the Gardai. Who should have been told of all this every time it happened.

Call the Gardai, simply.

The PTRB cannot do anything surely here? They act and negotiate between landlord and tenant,

Nor can they stop a landlord renting out to whom he sees fit to rent out to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If they block your driveway and are on a public street you can get them towed away.
    I've done this in Cork.
    Usually the tow truck is around in a few minutes.
    Easy money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

as above report every incidence to the gardaí and keep a record of your reports for the landlordto back up your complaints to them - things can drag on for years either way but at least you won't be allowing it build up in your own head by reporting it.

If the landlord is being contacted by the gardai re their tennents they will get sick of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I have been told if I contact the Gardai/landlord there will be consequences.

I dont know of this is an idle threat and normal for them or if they will follow through, I am raising a family, things are tough enough, I am out of work,I am annoyed and I am begining to feel I should respond militantly to violence or even any threat of violence, otherwise we are living under a shadow of a constant threat.
    I know this may not happen on my part and my partner would be annoyed and actively discourage it but I think if they believe or know such a response may exist they may back off, I want to go the official route but I feel they will deem this reason to damage our property/cars or attack us.
    (edit) i think they are more likely to damage our property/car as they could do this when we are not around and might be difficult for us to prove, whereas if they attack us, then its a given, we will respond by either being forced to fight them off then going to the gardai.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Threats and intimidation are a matter for the Gardai. Who should have been told of all this every time it happened.

Call the Gardai, simply.

The PTRB cannot do anything surely here? They act and negotiate between landlord and tenant,

As far as I am aware the PRTB can force the landlord to comply with their obligations, which includes tenants not being anti social, but from what I have heard the PRTB is a slow process, if the landlords aren't bothered I could go to the PRTB but it could take years, years in which my family are potentially under threat. If the landlord simply doesnt refuse to give them a lease based on my complaints to them

is there anything I can do to the landlord regarding sueing/taking them to court to force them to rectify the situation and prevent it from happening again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Graces7 wrote: »

Call the Gardai, simply.

Wrong, the PRTB recently awarded a sum of money to someone I know because the landlord who owned the property next door would not act upon anti social behaviour by his tenants and were making their lives hell.

January wrote: »
    Wrong, the PRTB recently awarded a sum of money to someone I know because the landlord who owned the property next door would not act upon anti social behaviour by his tenants and were making their lives hell.

Is there any chance you would have info on that, I just tried to look it up but I only searched briefly, just wondering what they put up with and for how long, or even how long the process took to take back their lives?
    edit (when I say they had people coming and going, friends and relatives, I'm not talking about the normal coming and goings you might expect of friends and relatives, more like regular confabs)
    I'm not sure tow trucks would take them, plus they would know who did it, in which case I would have to be prepared for them to respond.

So does anyone have any ideas how to proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coolchillie

Buy yourself some type of recording device and when you have occasion to speak to your neighbours again, inform them (record this also) that you are recording the conversation. They will probably close the door in your face without engaging in a discussion but if they do decide to say anything then you have it on record but remember to TELL THEM YOU'RE RECORDING. That way, you can bring the recording to the guards. Personally, I think that once they know you have this device, they will stop the harassment. Yes I know it may sound extreme and that they may get worse, but from your post it seems that you've come to the end of your tether anyway.
    You could also try telling the landlord that you are being medicated for depression (and there's no slur intended on anyone who suffers depression) and they might cop on.
    You have rights. Dont be afraid in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you want this sorted then you will have to involve the Gardai and their landlord. Their threats are bullying tactics; I dont know these people and dont know exactly how likely they are to follow through on any threats, but bottom line is that if you want to persue this properly then they are the channels that you must follow.

Personally if it was me I would get hold of their landlords number, and every single time you are disturbed, night or day, I would be on the phone to them straight away to complain. Make it the landlords problem. That way they might think twice about renewing their lease when the time comes if they are proving too much hassle.

I would also keep a full paper trail of everything is going on. Every time you contact the landlord write to him also with the details and keep a copy for yourself. If you do end up going to the Gardai/PRTB then you will have a huge volume of evidence to bring to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The landlord is legally responsible for the ongoing anti-social behaviour of any tenants they let the property to. I'd suggest sending him a registered letter to inform him of his obligations and stating that you will start proceedings with the PRTB if he does not act immediately.

From the dcc website but it applies nationally.
    Under the Residential tenancies Act 2004, all private rented tenancies must be registered with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) www.prtb.ie . The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 places certain obligations on both the landlord and the tenant. You can check that a premises is registered with the PRTB and, if so, make a complaint about the noise nuisance, to the PRTB. The PRTB then compels the landlord to enforce the tenants obligations not to engage in anti-social behaviour. Should the tenants continue to do so, then the landlord is obliged to terminate the tenancy.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/AirQualityMonitoringandNoiseControl/NoisePollution/Pages/NoisyNeighbourComplaint.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Reality check.
    They can easily ignore the LL.
    Then get worse.
    Refuse to leave
    It takes a long time to evict.

Main thing is you must tell the LL first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ray Palmer wrote: »

An eviction for severe anti-social behaviour only requires 7 days notice which can be issued immediately after the first warning is ignored. It's actually very speedy compared to any other type of eviction, especially if it's being done because the PRTB are insisting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

iguana wrote: »
    Ray Palmer wrote: »

An eviction for severe anti-social behaviour only requires 7 days notice which can be issued immediately after the first warning is ignored. It's actually very speedy compared to any other type of eviction, especially if it's being done because the PRTB are insisting on it.
    Can versus does.
    I would be very surprised if going through everything it will be resolved with any speed.
    I don't think the description would warrant such quick action.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

would you be willing to pay the rent on the unit while the landlord looks for a suitable tenant?

didn't think so..

I decided to report to the Gardai for a start, I made a report to them and was told I would get a pulse ID, that hasn't turned up, but at least the Garda in question is aware I made the report at the moment, whether the ID turns up or not, I'm just starting to make a record if I have to make a case in the future, but they knew the tenants name.
    I am going to contact the Landlord during the week when I am free, I have their contact and called them in the past when there were problems, in the past they have alternately listened and disputed that there are problems.How they could dispute problems I dont know as they are not around so have no idea whats going on. I haven't contacted them in nearly a year, at that time I hadnt contacted them in probably over a year I think, they said then that I was contacting them all the time, which is bull. I said i would be calling them night and day whenever there was an issue.
    Whatever the landlord said then or because I think the tenants may have realised they pushed too far, it seemed to resolve at the time but the underlying issue always returns eventually as it did recently. I think the tenants believe because they pay their rent (their share?) that they are entitled to behave any way they please.
    This isnt going to go away unless I do something about it.
    I intend to tell the landlord that i dont want him to re let to them for a start, in the event of any problems before that date I will tell him that I will go to the prtb to evict them with as little notice according to the problem, but basically I want him to do the work as the tenant may be less inclined or make things more difficult now if they are forced to leave now before the end of the lease.

The thing is, the problem is mostly caused by a relative of the tenant, that doesnt even live there!
    If the tenants fcuk around with me I will go to the HSE and the Social Welfare also to make a further complaint.

If nothing happens in between now and the end of the lease and the Landlord re lets to them despite my protest I will go to the prtb, but is there any action other than that which i can take against the landlord?

I checked the register before and I dont think the landlord was reg'd then but is now, there are loads of houses around here that are still not reg'd which were let since they were built when i checked last year or before that and are still not reg'd, mostly the same people are still in them, recently I saw one landlord take a cash payment, never ever saw that guy before but those tenants aren't a problem (I hate saying there is no problem, because thats what I thought about my neighbours recently and they decided to kick off).

I just do not understand, they do stuff that creates a problem and I cannot understand why they do it, it will affect them more than me, its just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I wanted to quote some of your posts but realised this would make this post ridiculously long :rolleyes:

I agree blocking your drive is not on and would be annoying especially if repeated requests are ignored or violence threatened, It wouldn't be a pleasant way to live.

Firstly you commented on the fact they have their rent paid which is irrelevant to the post and i'm not sure who has a chip on their shoulder about that. I also note that you are worried about the repercussions and they haven't actually been violent towards you so it is possible that they are just reacting to the manner in which you approach them?

You have mentioned in posts that you'd complained about previous tennants as well so perhaps the landlord takes you less seriously as you may appear to be a serial moaner. Especially if nobody else has complained about his tennants. Is there a managment committee who could take up the issue of blocking peoples drives in general rather than getting at them personally. They may take this better than you approaching them.

You also said relations have been better recently so did something happen to set the bad feeling off again?

piperh wrote: »
    I wanted to quote some of your posts but realised this would make this post ridiculously long :rolleyes:

I agree blocking your drive is not on and would be annoying especially if repeated requests are ignored or violence threatened, It wouldn't be a pleasant way to live.

Firstly you commented on the fact they have their rent paid which is irrelevant to the post and i'm not sure who has a chip on their shoulder about that. I also note that you are worried about the repercussions and they haven't actually been violent towards you so it is possible that they are just reacting to the manner in which you approach them?

You have mentioned in posts that you'd complained about previous tennants as well so perhaps the landlord takes you less seriously as you may appear to be a serial moaner. Especially if nobody else has complained about his tennants. Is there a managment committee who could take up the issue of blocking peoples drives in general rather than getting at them personally. They may take this better than you approaching them.

You also said relations have been better recently so did something happen to set the bad feeling off again?

Re their rent, I also mentioned they told me, I didnt ask, that they were getting less now, I didnt enquire, I think they are pissed about it?
    I meant they seem to have a chip on their shoulder about other people/me, things they have said to me.
    Once one of them told me a person gave out to him for nearly running over her pet, he said it was her fault as it was loose, maybe, but he then went on to say that if it was her child it would be the same? so he reckons its ok to pay no attention to others and maybe kill them despite being in charge of a vehicle, not to mention they used to drive like lunatics, thats just one example.
    Their other neighbours are rented, very quiet, I approached them last year, they admitted there is a problem but said they are only rented and dont want to get involved, I was told that these people throw condoms and razor blades down onto their side entrance, they have small children, the guy alluded to they allow their children to play out the back, but they are only small anyway.

Previous tenants, I complained about the first lot when it got really bad, so little sleep was falling asleep in work, second lot as by that time I had experienced the first lot and it was out of hand, I should have complained to the gardai, after that I didnt approach the landlord till last year.
    first lot, playing music till 4am, acceptable or me moaning? at least once a week every week for years, sometimes 2-3 times, the odd time 4 nights, never went a week with peace for years, am I moaning?
    Next lot, loads of kids hanging around, 10-15, sometimes drunk,a car was damaged, not mine, people threatened when asked to keep it down, am I moaning.
    Current lot
    They kept offering me services, cut grass, take rubbish, I just kept declining politely, maybe they feel rejected?? who knows, I certainly didnt say anything to them before they decided to block me in.
    Also, I could have called them a bunch of cnuts (which i didnt) but why is violence an acceptable response?? because they try use it to intimidate.

So tell me, why do I have to ask permission to leave or enter my own house just to do errands/shop/hospital/why?
    lot of times I could get past them but it makes it awkward(a lot of times its just not possible as they blocked it so much)/I could damage my car their vehicle or get hit, it introduces an uneccesary risk when their drive is empty or there is no need to block or partially block me because there is loads of room, my O/H on the other hand would find it very difficult. Its because they are selfish ignorant people.
    And then when i do ask, they are offended or get annoyed, there is no winning, they just feel the need to get one up, I shall not be dealing with them anymore, Gardai/Landlord, was concerned about the threat originally but then thought, what cowards.

edit, I should have said, my girlfriend is concerned about the threat, why should we live in fear of an attack, I may think it might not happen but why should my O/H be worried for me that they might attack me or her? why should I have to put up with the concern that something will always kick off because they do something that is avoidable?

edit, realise they have brought up the rent thing few times, sometimes when offering services, I actually think they are pissed I didnt pay them to do stuff, not like I am working or getting anything myself! then during the heated discussion/argument, they brought it up again, " I pay my rent here" why? does that mean I pay my rent so I'll park all over your access to drive or do as i please?? I think thats what they mean, I dont understand as we have gotten on so well over the last 6-8 months, maybe even a bit more, they have nothing to gain from it??

edit, also, car broken into during their tenure, few times, only tax discs taken, dont know but certain it was them or their friends/family

I havent complianed (serially) frequently only 3-4 times in 15 years and thats only after having put up with years of noise/threats, the landlord fobbing me off saying I am moaning all the time is bull, they are not aware/dont want to know of the problem and admitted to me they NEED the place rented so really thats admitting they cant afford to care.

Yes it would be ridiculously long to quote in reply :/

So, what I am asking is,

Does anyone know, if the landlord re lets despite my opposition and I have to go to the PRTB and succeed in evicting the tenants, does it have to be taken to court to action that or does that happen automatically?
    Is there anything else I can/should do to the landlord, re take to court/sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

No violence is never acceptable and that is not what i meant. And i didn't say you were a perpetual moaner just that that might be the way the landlord thinks of you. I do not know you or your landlord so really cannot make a judgement about either of you personally.

Is there a residents committee or management committee that might be prepared to talk to them? And as i said make it a generic request to all residents not them in particular.

I could be wrong and somebody with more knowledge than me of the workings of renting and the prtb will probably say i am. As there has been no actual violence and you can't prove the damage or theft was caused by them if nobody else is prepared to stand up and side with you it might be more difficult for the prtb to go down the route of eviction for antisocial behaviour. Proof would be needed i'd assume or at the very least more than 1 complaint?

• Advertisement

There is a residents association of sorts, I dont think they would get involved, but there are some people that have over time, commiserated with me living next to them, there are one or two that may back me up, I will see when push comes to shove.
    The Gardai were aware of their name when I went to them.
    I am not going to have any dealings with them anymore, if they do anything that requires I speak to them, such as asking them to move a vehicle is really going to have me have to call the Gardai.

Thing is, they seem ok with blocking us in, whatever of me, I wont have my girlfriend going asking to be allowed out, anyway it seems to me they do it because they are unhappy with something, they are then either unhappy to be asked or then annoyed that I ask them not to park there which deteriorates into threatening. There is no reason for them to block me partially or completely, they have loads of room.

They seem to have backed off for the moment, I'm as annoyed at the landlord as their standoff attitude and need to just have it rented interferes with our right to peacefully enjoy our home.

I actually thought about it today, there are loads of rented places on my road, all vehicles seem to be parked in the same place all the time and no one is blocking anyone else, of the rented near me no one else is creating problems? some I exchange nods/pleasantries, others not, but they all just get on with their lives same as other owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

While troublesome neighbours are never fun - nobody has any right to veto tenants of a neighbouring property as your original posts suggests you want. Quiet enjoyment of your home is not a guarantee regardless of whether neighbours are owners or tenants.

As regards the current tenants, if there is no official file of anti-social behaviour with the Gardai, how do you expect the landlord to evict?

I'm lucky in that we own in a managed development and it's relatively easier to get troublesome tenants evicted than if we didn't have a management company. Even so there has to be a formal trail of complaints (written) submitted to the landlord from the MC and on the one occasion when criminal activity was involved, the community Gardai spoke directly to the landlord.

The third party complaints mechanism is there with the PRTB. If you feel you have grounds to make a complaint then try that way.

I wouldn't describe being threatened and intimidated only troublesome,the other stuff, yes. whether its vetoing or not, its based on my experience, the landlords simply just seem to take the first offer they get just to let it out as they need the money, they dont seem to do viewings/vet people or have a clue how to do it at all, other than that, they dont care.I even had to track them down myself.

the landlords already claim i have called them more frequently than i have regarding anti social behaviour of their tenants, so i guess thats a good start, now the gardai have a recvord.the thing is, i should have complained more and more formally and come down like a ton of bricks on them, but i thought it would go away/didnt want to be a complaining arsehole, now 15 yrs later, its my family home,and it is as bad/worse than before, so /I do think im entitled to peacful enjoyment without fear of attack by my current neighbour.
    all just so the landlord can make a few quid!
    In all the places i rented and from when i was growing up, i never experienced next door neighbours like i did where i own my home!
    I put it down to the landlords, they have a standoff attitude, never see them check up on the place, hence it seems like any tenant there know they dont give a toss unless the money doesnt come in, so they do as they please!

edit
    as you suggest, i intend to go the prtb route, i told the landlord, the last time there was trouble, if it happened again, id be insisting he evict, me going the prtb route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

edit
    as you suggest, i intend to go the prtb route, i told the landlord, the last time there was trouble, if it happened again, id be insisting he evict, me going the prtb route.

You can't insist he evict, the call is not yours to make. The PRTB require a high burden of proof and looking at a report on their website, very few cases result in the tenants being ordered to vacate the premises.

http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Final%20Report%20DO%20reserach%20June%202008_rz.pdf

This link also offers information from the landlord's point of view

http://www.landlordsonline.ie/information/landlords-and-the-prtb/third-party-anti-social-behaviour-complaints-%E2%80%93-a-catch-22-for-landlords/

Just be aware, making a complaint to the PRTB is not a guarantee the tenants will be forced to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I wouldn't describe being threatened and intimidated only troublesome,the other stuff, yes. whether its vetoing or not, its based on my experience, the landlords simply just seem to take the first offer they get just to let it out as they need the money, they dont seem to do viewings/vet people or have a clue how to do it at all, other than that, they dont care.I even had to track them down myself.

the landlords already claim i have called them more frequently than i have regarding anti social behaviour of their tenants, so i guess thats a good start, now the gardai have a recvord.the thing is, i should have complained more and more formally and come down like a ton of bricks on them, but i thought it would go away/didnt want to be a complaining arsehole, now 15 yrs later, its my family home,and it is as bad/worse than before, so /I do think im entitled to peacful enjoyment without fear of attack by my current neighbour.
    all just so the landlord can make a few quid!
    In all the places i rented and from when i was growing up, i never experienced next door neighbours like i did where i own my home!
    I put it down to the landlords, they have a standoff attitude, never see them check up on the place, hence it seems like any tenant there know they dont give a toss unless the money doesnt come in, so they do as they please!

edit
    In all fairness some neighbours can just be pr***s whether they be on RA,Private Renters, Mortgage holders or own the house outright. As a person who has an accountant living next to me with his scobe of a wife and 2 children(5+7) and they could not be more scum if they tried, always looking for confrontation and kids who run away as if they were terrified just to show me up despite having never spoke one word to them in my life.

votecounts wrote: »
    In all fairness some neighbours can just be pr***s whether they be on RA,Private Renters, Mortgage holders or own the house outright. As a person who has an accountant living next to me with his scobe of a wife and 2 children(5+7) and they could not be more scum if they tried, always looking for confrontation and kids who run away as if they were terrified just to show me up despite having never spoke one word to them in my life.

True, I'll hazard a guess its not just an Irish phenomenon, what the fcuk is wrong with people, why be that way?
    I've friends living in the US/on Continent, they are suprised by what I tell them, in particular because we grew up in similar areas here and never had problems like I am having, I haven't even gotten an answer what would happen there as they haven't come across it?

Advertisement