Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constituency changes

Options
  • 21-06-2012 4:30pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been touched on in the Mulherin thread, but I think it deserves a conversation of its own: how do people feel about losing a seat? Better yet, how do Ballinrobe people feel about being lumped into Galway West?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I'm not from the south, east of the county so can't comment on the changes. This area was a big hit with Ringer last time out, securing 3000 first preferences for him. Looks like he will be going to less funerals here.

FG can't return 4 TDs in a 4 TD constituency. One is going to have to go, most likely the weakest - MM or Johnno. Not a significant loss in the overall scheme of things. Calleary is strong in the North West and remarkably has come through all the FF bashing relatively unscathed. Why, I am unsure as he was part and parcel of the core, traditional FF wing that led to the crash, having being promoted by Cowen.

I am sure some of the politico boardsie's are itching for the electorate to blood let, as indicated on some of the other threads.

Will Mayo be under-represented in the Dail as a result? I am not sure about that. Don't forget that if Inda has a hiccup along the way i.e. he is ousted as FG leader for whatever reason, it is doubtful he will run agin in an election, IMO. That would make the 4 seater Mayo constituency even more interesting. Who would run in his place in such a scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

finisklin wrote: »
    I'm not from the south, east of the county so can't comment on the changes. This area was a big hit with Ringer last time out, securing 3000 first preferences for him. Looks like he will be going to less funerals here.

FG can't return 4 TDs in a 4 TD constituency. One is going to have to go, most likely the weakest - MM or Johnno. Not a significant loss in the overall scheme of things. Calleary is strong in the North West and remarkably has come through all the FF bashing relatively unscathed. Why, I am unsure as he was part and parcel of the core, traditional FF wing that led to the crash, having being promoted by Cowen.

I am sure some of the politico boardsie's are itching for the electorate to blood let, as indicated on some of the other threads.

Will Mayo be under-represented in the Dail as a result? I am not sure about that. Don't forget that if Inda has a hiccup along the way i.e. he is ousted as FG leader for whatever reason, it is doubtful he will run agin in an election, IMO. That would make the 4 seater Mayo constituency even more interesting. Who would run in his place in such a scenario?

is this done now or does it have to be ratified

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Pity we have lost two TDs over recent years

Census date

The population loss in Mayo ( and adjoining counties Leitrim, Roscommon ) is overstated and the gain in inGalway over stated - same applies tp Dublin vis a vis all rural counties. That is because the census is taken on a Sunday night when students have gone back to college, thus showing them as Galway resident rather than Mayo.. imho census should be held on a Saturday.

Regarding the effects

FG - losses for Ring, Kenny and O'Mahoney. Ring and Kenny will survive. O'Mahoney will look for more territory from the othersm which will increase pressure on FG. They will lose a seat, either O'Mahoney or Mulherin.

Talk of O'Mahoney moving into Galway West is unrealistic. While he has strong GAA credentials and it is a GAA county, he would not be able to bring enough FG votes with him to win a seat along with what he can get in Galway.

Test for FG organisation whether they can deliver a vote to a Galway based candidate.

FF - this area close to O'Cuiv's base at Clonbur. He is well known in South Mayo, and will campaign strongly there. The additional votes will help GW FF, but I dont know the maths as to whether it gives them a chance of a 2nd seat.

Labour

Not a force in Mayo, altho Kilcoyne ex-Labour got a reasonable vote in last GE. Don't think South Mayo will add a lot to Galway Labour

SF

None of the SF councillors based in or near that area. Gerry Murray is in an adjoining EA and as a seasoned campaigner might be able to do something in the area being transferred. If there is a SF surge they may benefit from that area, but assuming a GE will not take place before 2014, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Nuac, good point about the census and the students on Sunday night. Seems a reasonable proposal to have it on a Saturday as most students would keep their vote at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I live almost halfway between Castlebar and Galway city but Mayo is my county and I want to be represented in the Dail by Mayo TD's. What goes on back in Clifden and other areas of west Galway has nothing to do with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I have just looked at the map and cannot see how Headford remains in Galway east and Ballinrobe is lumped in with Galway City .
    To be honest Mayo TD's have done F**k all for the area that is being shifted no matter what party the represented. So nothing will change now that we may (though who is going to fight for us)become Galwegians.

Dev og would have been some use in the past but not now:D

They're not even talking about this in the Galway Forums so thats how much it matters up here.

Advertisement