Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing stain from wooden floor

• 21-06-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I spilled some black hairdye on the wooden floor of my bedroom. I used white spirits on it but it hasn't worked at all. Was hoping for some suggestions on either how to remove the stain with some other product, or would it better to sand down the wooden floor a bit? They are old wooden floorboards that are varnished. Any suggestions would be really helpful, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is it much hair dye? If its a lot, sand down and re varnish...but it is not, then try some nail varnish remover...be quick though and it might dull the shine of the varnish....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If the dye has already eaten through the varnish and into the floor-boards, the chances are that sanding won't help unfortunately.

Can you dye the rest of the floor? :)

or see an industrial chemist who might be able to reverse the dyeing process with some magic concoction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

It's about the size of a 50c coin. I think it must have soaked into the wood! Nail varnish remover was what I tried first, and no luck with white spirits.

@mathepac maybe I'll just paint the entire floor black :D

I might give sanding just to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superpig

I did the exact same thing with a dark brown hair dye, I went to a DIY store something like woodies and got this stain remover for wooden floors, cant remember the name of it but it was in a small cream bottle, it was a mouse sort of stain remover, put it on the stain for a few minutes and then lightly scrubbed it with a wire scrub and wiped down, this removed the hairdye, left the floor a slight shade darker than the actual colour of the wooden floor but was a huge improvement on the hair dye :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

Hi, im a carpenter and my mrs is a hairdresser. She does this all the time. I used to try sanding etc but usually it got down into the fibres. I used some of her hair bleach or peroxide or something or another to change them back to normal. After that they were hardly noticeable and a few weeks later they were 100% gone.

This sounds rediculous I know but if you have black hairdye then apply blonde or just bleach. Works for me anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement