Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Euros 2012: Quarter Finals

Options
  • 21-06-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

The Quarter Finals start tonight!

Here is the team I've come up with at the moment, it could change.

209762.png

Feedback would be great!

Anyone hedging their bets on France to beat Spain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hart Cech
    Abate Lescott Gebre-selassie Boateng Hummels
    Ozil Ribery Pilar Busquets Diarra
    Nani Postiga Gomez

for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

France has NO chance.
    Even a Chelsea-like miracle seems unlikely as we don't have their character, their tactical discipline and their intelligence. Our only hope is Yohann Cabaye. He's awaited like a messiah in France but we're asking him too much IMO.

iroced wrote: »
    France has NO chance.
    Even a Chelsea-like miracle seems unlikely as we don't have their character, their tactical discipline and their intelligence. Our only hope is Yohann Cabaye. He's awaited like a messiah in France but we're asking him too much IMO.

People are over-reacting a bit too much to one bad result if you ask me. France have been excellent under Blanc. Very impressed with their first two games. I wouldn't like to call a winner between the two. I don't think France will have a problem for getting motivated against Spain. Should be a cracker of a match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

manual_man wrote: »
    People are over-reacting a bit too much to one bad result if you ask me. France have been excellent under Blanc. Very impressed with their first two games. I wouldn't like to call a winner between the two. I don't think France will have a problem for getting motivated against Spain. Should be a cracker of a match

I see your point. But what we've seen against Sweden recalls old nightmares from the Domenech era...

Anyway, our main problem is the lack of playing and tactical intelligence of too many of our players (Nasri, Ribery, Evra, Mexes, even Ben Arfa and Menez). They all have great technical abilities but they're not using them very well as you wonder too often if they really understand the game. One player has made huge improvement on that aspect of the game, aided a lot by Mourinho, it's Benzema. Menez & Ben Arfa are progressing but are still far from consistent top level.

Nasri is the most over-rated of them all. He just doesn't know how to use his technique. He can't play first touch. He's always slowing down the game. He's no mental aptitude and can't take responsibilities. You've seen it this year. He preferred being David Silva's shoe-shine boy than being Arsenal playmaker. And last but not least he has a crap mentality (again see his comment to Arsenal after City's title in which he took a very very minor part, further back in time see his comment to Marseille when he moved to Arsenal etc...etc...).

Cabaye is the absolute opposite. So yes under Blanc, France progressed but we're still lacking a lot to build a real strong team. We have good keepers (Lloris, Mandanda, Carasso), good backs (Clichy & Mathieu - not present here - on the left ; Debuchy & Reveillere on the right), a good "number 8" with great potential (Cabaye), and 2 good forwards that should have been tried on the pitch together (world class Benzema and emerging new talent Giroud). Then we have some interesting wingers (Ribery, Menez, Ben Arfa) but they all need a good playmaker in midfield to shine. That's why Cabaye is so important.

So there's still a lot of room for improvement. But we were starting from almost zero after Domenech 6 years of French football destruction...

TL;DR: Avoid French players !

---

Anyway, back on topic. As many Germans and Spanish possible will be my tactic with cheap Czech guys that I'll try tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Captaining Ronaldo tonight. Hoping he can grab a couple of goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

nani should be good for a goal assit tonight!! couldnt afford ronaldo but portugal will make alot of points tonight id say

Think i might be the only one without Ronaldo tonight. Let's hope best-new-player-of-the-tournament Gebre Selassie keeps him under wraps :(

Teams in by the way

capture_16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

iroced wrote: »
    manual_man wrote: »

I see your point. But what we've seen against Sweden recalls old nightmares from the Domenech era...

Anyway, our main problem is the lack of playing and tactical intelligence of too many of our players (Nasri, Ribery, Evra, Mexes, even Ben Arfa and Menez). They all have great technical abilities but they're not using them very well as you wonder too often if they really understand the game. One player has made huge improvement on that aspect of the game, aided a lot by Mourinho, it's Benzema. Menez & Ben Arfa are progressing but are still far from consistent top level.

Nasri is the most over-rated of them all. He just doesn't know how to use his technique. He can't play first touch. He's always slowing down the game. He's no mental aptitude and can't take responsibilities. You've seen it this year. He preferred being David Silva's shoe-shine boy than being Arsenal playmaker. And last but not least he has a crap mentality (again see his comment to Arsenal after City's title in which he took a very very minor part, further back in time see his comment to Marseille when he moved to Arsenal etc...etc...).

Cabaye is the absolute opposite. So yes under Blanc, France progressed but we're still lacking a lot to build a real strong team. We have good keepers (Lloris, Mandanda, Carasso), good backs (Clichy & Mathieu - not present here - on the left ; Debuchy & Reveillere on the right), a good "number 8" with great potential (Cabaye), and 2 good forwards that should have been tried on the pitch together (world class Benzema and emerging new talent Giroud). Then we have some interesting wingers (Ribery, Menez, Ben Arfa) but they all need a good playmaker in midfield to shine. That's why Cabaye is so important.

So there's still a lot of room for improvement. But we were starting from almost zero after Domenech 6 years of French football destruction...

TL;DR: Avoid French players !

---

Anyway, back on topic. As many Germans and Spanish possible will be my tactic with cheap Czech guys that I'll try tonight...
    Great little read. I'm on board with you here. 4 Spaniards and 0 French in my team. Can't see it biting me in the ass at all. Even on their great run of games, I was never really confident in them.

Cabaye is still a hero, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I have 4 Portuguese and 4 Germans..... with one Spanish player. I'm living dangerously. I know Germany will win but I cant be sure of Portugal so if they do lose I'm left with 4 players who need transferring out :rolleyes: I'm not so sure about the Spanish tbh. It's probably a hunch but I don't trust having four of their players on my team despite them being the best team in the world. They never score many goals (except for the Ireland game obviously) and their defence isn't great if you go by their defensive players abilities, tis only because they always have the ball that they dont concede. The Germans are the only viable defensive options left in the tournament imo.

• Advertisement

God you can hate this game at times. Postiga off and Nani on a yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ronaldo, moutinho assist

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

24 points from tonight. Stick or twist on capt Ronaldo? Why couldnt one of the ones that hit the post just gone in and negated any tricky decision.

39 points from tonight... Happy with that.

12 from Captain Ronaldo isn't much. I don't like changing captains but I'm considering it. Tough at this stage though.

Dempsey wrote: »
    ronaldo, pereira assist

It was Moutinho with the assist.

BKC wrote: »
    It was Moutinho with the assist.

I was going by the haircut in the the replay :o

Anyone else having bother logging into see their scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

So do I leave Ronaldo as captain I'm leaning towards yes....

Shane732 wrote: »

I've no idea. My 3 other Portugal players all got more than him tonight.

Fancy Germany to keep a clean sheet tomorrow. Anyone think Neuer will make 3 saves or Hummels will get a recovered balls point?

Same scenario as myself

Stick with Ronaldo or gamble on Gomez, Iniesta and last chance saloon with Pirlo.

Leaning towards sticking tbh

Fancy Germany to keep a clean sheet tomorrow. Anyone think Neuer will make 3 saves or Hummels will get a recovered balls point?

Banking on Badstuber & Khedira for a CS and some recovered ball points, not captain material though!

• Advertisement

Same scenario as myself

Stick with Ronaldo or gamble on Gomez, Iniesta and last chance saloon with Pirlo.

Leaning towards sticking tbh

Well I think it you're changing then you're hoping Germany are going to walk all over Greece and that Gomez/Ozil or whoever else you have is gong to be involved in the thumping.

If it doesn't come off then you're on to trying to find someone in the last two games.

The only option I have tomorrow would be Ozil or Boateng.

If I don't opt to change tomorrow then I don't see why I would for the other two games.

Ozil to come good?

Well I finished on 21 points with 3 players. If I keep that up I'll be pretty happy with the end score!

Well I think it you're changing then you're hoping Germany are going to walk all over Greece and that Gomez/Ozil or whoever else you have is gong to be involved in the thumping.

If it doesn't come off then you're on to trying to find someone in the last two games.

The only option I have tomorrow would be Ozil or Boateng.

If I don't opt to change tomorrow then I don't see why I would for the other two games.

Ozil to come good?

I dont expect a thrashing as this is tournament football, if Germany get comfortable they will sit on the ball and see the game out.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

I gambled unsuccessfully in the last round. Took captaincy off Cassano for Benzema. Another goal/ assist for Ronaldo would've convinced me not to change this round but I will have a punt again on either Muller or Ozil. Which one tho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I have 4 Germans. Even against Greece, that's enough gambling for me. Ronnie keeps the armband.

9 from 3 players. Beat that b*tches :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I had Ronaldo as captain and i'm sticking. If people are thinking Gomez he'd have to get two (more or less, depending on assists etc) tonight and while i think Germany will win i don't think it will be a rout. I also have Torres but can't see him getting two, and fair chance he'll come off after 60 mins anyway. Take the 12 points with Ronaldo and hold on i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Yeah i think I'm sticking too. If I went for Gomez, I'm essentially hoping he scores 2 goals, which would only gain me a net 4 points over sticking with Ronaldo. It's not worth the risk for me (even with 2 further captain chances afterwards)

Also sticking with Cech(3), not risking Sifakis against Germany

Ronaldo(c), Moutinho & Pereira got me good points last night, with a smattering of 3 pointers from my Czech players. Could be a good gameweek/matchday! :D

The German papers are all saying that Podolski, Gomez & Muller will be dropped for tonights game, what a kick in the teeth if that happens!

• Advertisement

The German papers are all saying that Podolski, Gomez & Muller will be dropped for tonights game, what a kick in the teeth if that happens!

I'll believe that when i see it!

Advertisement