Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Received

Options
  • 21-06-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭

I received an email today from

getmore@eircom.ie

It began
    Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me. As an eircom customer, not only can you be assured of excellent quality and award-winning service, but you are eligible for a whole host of great value-add services and packages.

I did not ring Eircom ..... did field a call from an Eircom rep offering me a reduced rate if I signed a new contract, which I refused.

The majority of the links in the email are genuine, so I guess the email is genuine spam.

It also has the following
    If you are unable to see the images in this email please click here

That 'click here' link shows as:-
    file:///D:/userdata/mooreai/Local%20Settings/Temp/Temporary%20Directory%201%20for%203831-get-more-with-eircom.zip/3831-get-more-with-eircom/index.html#

Seems Eircom cannot even get their spam right!

It also has an unsubscribe link at the bottom ....... for something I never subscribed to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I received an email today from

getmore@eircom.ie

It began

I did not ring Eircom ..... did field a call from an Eircom rep offering me a reduced rate if I signed a new contract, which I refused.

The majority of the links in the email are genuine, so I guess the email is genuine spam.

It also has the following

That 'click here' link shows as:-
    file:///D:/userdata/mooreai/Local%20Settings/Temp/Temporary%20Directory%201%20for%203831-get-more-with-eircom.zip/3831-get-more-with-eircom/index.html#

Seems Eircom cannot even get their spam right!

It also has an unsubscribe link at the bottom ....... for something I never subscribed to?

Apologies Johnboy, it does look like you're right on this one. I've checked with Customer Care and Technical Support. They confirm that they are unaware of this email address.

Both are not reporting other customers receiving this spam directly. Although this email does appear genuine (.ie address). As you're probably aware, it is possible to generate an alias or pseudo email link. This often will appear as a being a genuine email from the organisation. Though if you reply to this email, it then is redirected to the spammer or to a illicit agency.

In general you should always take care when opening emails that you are suspicious of, as you have done.

eircom's policy on this is : eircom will never ask for account details by e-mail. If you receive an e-mail asking for these details, report them to abuse@eircom.net . If you need to look up the details in the phonebook on their official website, do not use the details given in the e-mail!, and do not enter any details.

For all: Any one experiencing email spam issues like this some further suggestions are listed on our Support website below :

How do I protect myself from Spam?

I appreciate reporting this issue. If you need any further assistance with your email let me know.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It should be possible to locate the PC from which this email was sent with the following info .....

ic8uub.jpg

ok6646.jpg

All the links that I have checked in the graphic are genuine Eircom.
    There is no indication that this email originated from anywhere other than Eircom itself.

It would appear to me that Eircom have something to sort out.

Hopefully the above info is sufficient to stop this happening again or to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

There is no indication that this email originated from anywhere other than Eircom itself.

Yes there is. The originating mail server is not eircom. See the line
    "Received: from www3.allnone.ie [82.195.135.134]"

All the other entries in the header relate to delivery to your eircom.net email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A Dublin address ....
    inetnum:        82.195.135.132 - 82.195.135.255
    netname:        HOSTING-365-1
    descr:          Hosting 365 Limited 8th /24
    admin-c:        HA1032-RIPE
    tech-c:         HE674-RIPE
    mnt-by:         MNT-HOSTING365
    source:         RIPE # Filtered

role:           Hosting365 Administrators
    address:        5 Beckett Way
                    Park West Business Park