Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Possibly) Ignored Punto Recall

• 21-06-2012 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi, folks,

Slow day at work, pottering thru Punto-related threads on this board (I've the NCT on Saturday morning, just checking for anything I might've missed) and came across this gem http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65528507 though didn't want to revive a zombie thread.
    "Recall of early model Fiat Puntos

Got a letter from Fiat this morning saying my 98 reg Punto is subject to a recall due to possible erosion of brake pipes. I actually just sold it but thought I'd post this in case anyone else is affected and didn't get the letter."
    Now, I bought a '00 Punto last October with three previous owners. Needless to say, none of these owners must've followed up with the aforementioned recall because the following picture shows the state of my offside brake hose just before Christmas. It ruptured as I was pulling onto a roundabout and had to throw the anchors on when someone came whoring in from the right. Pedal to the metal: Wheel arch and engine bay saturated with brake fluid, trousers almost saturated with bodily fluids.

209764.jpg

Guess what I'm trying to say is that it might be a good idea to Google for recalls on second-hard cars to determine if there have been any and whether or not the recall notice was adhered to.

(Now that I think of it, my ex-wife got a recall letter from Nissan Ireland maybe a month ago. It was originally press-released by Nissan in 2008!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

We got a recall letter here for what was our old 1997 Punto. That recall is for the metal brake pipes NOT the hoses as you have pointed out. On those cars there was a possibility due to poor plastic protection that the pipe would crumble.

Hoses are made of rubber and do wear out over time, it happens to any car with rubber components. If your car is 2000, unless its a Cabrio then it's a mk2 not a mk1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I bought a new Fiat back in 96 and in the owner's manual there was a piece of paper you could use to inform Fiat Ireland that you had sold the car. I suppose like 99% of owners I never bothered to send it off when I sold the car but as far as I was concerned the new owner could inform them if he chose to do so. I got my car an annual service in Fiat garages and as the original owner I would have been notified directly about anything similar to your situation.

In your case, what I'd do is call to in person or phone the service dept. of any Fiat approved service centre, give them your VIN (chassis) number and ask them to check if your car got the recall work done. As it's pretty obviously safety-related, I'd imagine there is no time limit on getting the work done for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

dgt wrote: »
    Hoses are made of rubber and do wear out over time, it happens to any car with rubber components. If your car is 2000, unless its a Cabrio then it's a mk2 not a mk1

Hey, dgt,

Yes, you're quite correct, it's a Mk2, that didn't even click with me. In any event, as per coylemj's post, the next time I buy a second-hand car, I'll be checking for any recalls!

Tbh, it's been a bit of a money-pit, I reckon I've spent more *on* it than I actually paid for it. That said, apart from the clutch that really needs done - god save me from steep hills and overtaking - it's a cracking wee motor and, touch wood, she's clean inside and out and driving well.

Fingers crossed for Saturday's NCT :)

Advertisement