Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Student and Gamer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I'd kinda like to have a shot at it, not saying I'd be amazing at it but I've watched a few tutorials, just I told my girlfriend about how much it was costing me and she didn't seem too pleased, especially seen as I said I didn't have the money to go away for more than a week this summer. I can't imagine the reaction if I were to tell her I've to build it. :(

It's your PC, to hell with what she says! :p
    Really though, you should build it as it's great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd kinda like to have a shot at it, not saying I'd be amazing at it but I've watched a few tutorials, just I told my girlfriend about how much it was costing me and she didn't seem too pleased, especially seen as I said I didn't have the money to go away for more than a week this summer. I can't imagine the reaction if I were to tell her I've to build it. :(

I haven't been on a holiday in 6 years :D. Building it is fun, it will give you something to do for an afternoon and you will learn quite a lot in the process. It means if anything goes wrong in a few years you know what's in the computer and you know what could have happened.

Also e-peen for building your own. And it's cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

It means if anything goes wrong in a few years you know what's in the computer and you know what could have happened.

Never actually thought of it like that. Is it difficult or is it really just like Adult LEGO?

Never actually thought of it like that. Is it difficult or is it really just like Adult LEGO?

It's exactly like lego, except more interesting, and much more expensive ;).

Eboggles wrote: »
    It's exactly like lego, except more interesting, and much more expensive ;).

Ok haha. Well, don't get mad if I'm asking stupid questions on here while I'm building(already asked a bunch).

• Advertisement

Change the SSD to a Samsung 830, Bump the monitor up to a 1080p one if you have the space, and maybe get a GTX 670 if you have the money.

Change the SSD to a Samsung 830, Bump the monitor up to a 1080p one if you have the space, and maybe get a GTX 670 if you have the money.

Sweet thanks. I'll know next Thursday. The Dole office is so depressing btw.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but would a 450W PSU be capable of powering a gtx 670 and an I5 3570K? Would you be capable of uninstalling windows and reinstalling it onto an SSD? Thinking of just cutting the SSD out until I get more money. Thanks guys and sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, a good 450W PSU could do it.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/26.html

You can back up your windows license and then reinstall. See guide in signature. Alternatively, Microsoft would probably be understanding about a hard drive switch if you rang them up.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah, a good 450W PSU could do it.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/26.html

You can back up your windows license and then reinstall. See guide in signature. Alternatively, Microsoft would probably be understanding about a hard drive switch if you rang them up.

Ye was going to with the super flower amazon 450W. Ordering tomorrow. Looking forward to the build haha. Thanks again.

You'd be OK for some CPU overclocking and maybe light GPU oc. If you thought that you were going for a lot of upgrades, a higher rated one would be no harm.

Can't overclock with a H77 motherboard. You need Z77, Z75 (haven't seen many of these), Z68 or P67.

Is that the same monitor that i am onion got? If so, you might want to throw in a DVI cable if you haven't got one.

DVD-ROM drive? You should really just get an RW.

A H77 board won't let you overclock. Z77 (or Z68).

Can't overclock with a H77 motherboard. You need Z77, Z75 (haven't seen many of these), Z68 or P67.

Swore I had one earlier..... Thinking of dropping to a SB 2500k. Cheers.

Is that the same monitor that i am onion got? If so, you might want to throw in a DVI cable if you haven't got one.

No HDMI?

EDIT: I'm an idiot. RTFM.

If you want to use HDMI, you still can could with a HDMI->DVI adapter for the monitor. There should be no loss in quality and I assume the card has HDMI on it.

If you want to use HDMI, you still can could with a HDMI->DVI adapter for the monitor. There should be no loss in quality and I assume the card has HDMI on it.

Something like this?

That would work too, but I was actually thinking of more like this if you already had the HDMI cable.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/DVI/57894/Good+Connections®+Adapter+HDMI+Buchse+an+DVI+24%2B1+Stecker.article

Here's a DVI cable. For some reason HDMI cables actually seem to be cheaper in general Less fiddly parts and easier to produce, I assume.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/DVI/58048/Good+Connections+Adapter+DVI+24%2B5+Buchse+an+DVI+24%2B1+Stecker.article

You'd want to double check on those pinouts to ensure compatibility and I'm too tired to do so now.

• Advertisement

That would work too, but I was actually thinking of more like this if you already had the HDMI cable.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/DVI/57894/Good+Connections®+Adapter+HDMI+Buchse+an+DVI+24%2B1+Stecker.article

Here's a DVI cable. For some reason HDMI cables actually seem to be cheaper in general Less fiddly parts and easier to produce, I assume.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/DVI/58048/Good+Connections+Adapter+DVI+24%2B5+Buchse+an+DVI+24%2B1+Stecker.article

You'd want to double check on those pinouts to ensure compatibility and I'm too tired to do so now.

Cheers. Really appreciate it. I looked at them but I'll look again in the morning. The 670 i was ordering is outta stock anyway so no rush. Might get the 7870 OC edition instead.

Just went with a DVI-D dual link cable. I know I wont be using two monitors but it was only €5. If i'm ordering off of my girlfriends card (took my money out of Ulster bank and put it in her account haha) I'll obviously need to change the name on the order to hers as otherwise I assume HWS will see the order in my name and just a random transfer of money from her name ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just went with a DVI-D dual link cable. I know I wont be using two monitors but it was only €5. If i'm ordering off of my girlfriends card (took my money out of Ulster bank and put it in her account haha) I'll obviously need to change the name on the order to hers as otherwise I assume HWS will see the order in my name and just a random transfer of money from her name ye?

My account was in my fathers name because I was originally going to send money through his account, but then I ended up sending the money myself, and it worked. But maybe just be careful if you're not doing it through bank transfer, if it's paypal they might not know who it's coming from if it's a random name

My account was in my fathers name because I was originally going to send money through his account, but then I ended up sending the money myself, and it worked. But maybe just be careful if you're not doing it through bank transfer, if it's paypal they might not know who it's coming from if it's a random name

I'm going to do a bank transfer. Should I just put her name with my address just to be sure?

I'm more awake today and I don't think that DVI cable I linked earlier is any good - the picture doesn't match up with the description. The description says one of the ends is female which is feck all good for most monitors.

It says on the specs of the Benq on HWV that it takes DVI-D. Cheapest one is the DVI-D (single link) to HDMI:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/HDMI/43491/LogiLink+HDMI+zu+DVI+Kabel+%2C+1m%2C+19-pin+Typ-A+zu+DVI+(18%2B1).article

I assume it would also take a dual link (more pins) DVI cable... is this the one you went for?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/DVI/40729/LogiLink+DVI+Kabel+5m.article

I'm more awake today and I don't think that DVI cable I linked earlier is any good - the picture doesn't match up with the description. The description says one of the ends is female which is feck all good for most monitors.

It says on the specs of the Benq on HWV that it takes DVI-D. Cheapest one is the DVI-D (single link) to HDMI:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/HDMI/43491/LogiLink+HDMI+zu+DVI+Kabel+%2C+1m%2C+19-pin+Typ-A+zu+DVI+(18%2B1).article

I assume it would also take a dual link (more pins) DVI cable... is this the one you went for?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/DVI/40729/LogiLink+DVI+Kabel+5m.article

Had a bit of hiccup with names of accounts so I've sorted that out and I'm ordering in the morning. I'm thinking of these. If they're no use i'll get the one's you linked. Not going to bother with the HDMI adapter though as I'd have to scab one off someone else in the house as I sold mine with the xbox.

So I just ordered and it gave me two addresses. Which do i use? I know oder means or but which one did you guys use?

Financial institution Deutsche Postbank AG Dortmund
    Remittee: hardwareversand.de GmbH
    Remittee account: XXXXXXXXX
    Bank code: XXXXXXXXXXX
    Amount: 1.077,23 EUR
    Intended purpose: XXXXXXXXXXX
    for international payment:
    B.I.C. S.W.I.F.T.: PBNKDEFF
    IBAN No: XXXXXXXXXXX

OR

Financial institution Sparkasse Soest
    Remittee: hardwareversand.de GmbH
    Remittee account: XXXXXXXX
    Bank code: XXXXXXXX
    Amount: 1.077,23 EUR
    Intended purpose: XXXXXXXXX
    for international payment:
    B.I.C. S.W.I.F.T.: WELADED1SOS
    IBAN No: XXXXXXXXXX

That one looks fine. Better off with a DVI one as the HDMI one is less useful really.

I think I used the second on for the craic because it wasn't first on the list. Then again maybe that's what everyone does. Makes no difference.

That one looks fine. Better off with a DVI one as the HDMI one is less useful really.

I think I used the second on for the craic because it wasn't first on the list. Then again maybe that's what everyone does. Makes no difference.

Sound cheers. I wont be able to pay till tomorrow. How long do I actually have to transfer the money before its cancelled?

• Advertisement

Two weeks or something.

Advertisement