Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online/distance learning

Options
  • 21-06-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello everyone,
    Im thinking of doing an online degree with Sligo IT and im wondering has anyone here done one and what are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Im currently doing an online course with Sligo IT and find it very good. The lecturers are very helpful. My two main pieces of advice would be to attend the orientation days in Sligo and when possible "attend" the online lectures live.
    I didnt make it to Sligo for the orientation and found it took a while to get my bearings in Moodle and with my logins for mail etc. While it is handy to be able to view the recorded lectures when it suits you (I work shifts) watching them live means you can interact with the lecturer in real time.
    Definitely a good option for gaining a qualification in a flexible manner. I am considering going on to do something else at the end of this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have just completed the PG Dip in Energy Management online, Online works really well most of the time, my biggest issues were I missed the orentatiation as well and some lecturers recorded all their lectures which didn't give the oppertunity to ask questions and have discussions which I think is very important. You do have to be quite disiplined and attend most of the lectures!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I just finished my first year online and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

You can attend the lectures 'live' during the week or download them and watch them in your own timeso you won't miss a single lecture. I found the latter particularly good as I was working crazy hours in the run up to Christmas and missed 5 weeks worth of material. I just downloaded all the lectures I missed and watched them over my Christmas holidays and caught up I no time. Also it's nice to be able to lie in bed with the laptop and a beer while attending lectures :D:D

You may have to go to Sligo a few times during the year for the day just for practicals and labs, but it's a nice college, easy to find and it's a great opportunity to meet your classmates face to face.

My advice would be to go to orienteering, meet your classmates and get the email addresses of your lecturers. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact them as in my experience they were usually very quick to reply. I got a reply to a maths problem at 11pm on a Saturday night.

Best of luck with your course!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 innominat

Thanks for the response guys.
    Ill be doing a level 8 degree with them. Ill be sure to go to the induction days.
    Im looking forward to it and im glad to see positive experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I've today sent off my deposit for L6 Higher Cert in GMP. A colleague of mine completed the L7 BSc Manufacturing Management and his experience convinced me that for my situation, I work shift, online was the way to go. Looking forward to the induction day(s) in mid September and getting stuck in. Bring it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I'm applying for this too did you find it hard to get a place? Was there
    an interview?

I'm applying for this too did you find it hard to get a place? Was there
    an interview?

No interview. Had to apply and give extensive details of work experience and any qualifications. Also had to detail why I wanted to do this particular course and what I hoped to get from it.

Looking forward to Mid-September.......

Thanks for that. Application is in now anyway. Here's hoping I get it looks like a great course. Did they take long to get back to you? I've heard great things about how well run their online courses are and how helpfl the lectures are.

Thanks for that. Application is in now anyway. Here's hoping I get it looks like a great course. Did they take long to get back to you? I've heard great things about how well run their online courses are and how helpfl the lectures are.

Best of luck. You should have no trouble. They had my confirmation back to me within 6 days. A colleague of mine did his Degree with them online and he couldn't recommend it highly enough. Excellent flexibility with being able to go back and re watch lectures whenever you like. Although he said it was crucial to make it up to Sligo to the induction day to be shown how to fully utilise all the online tools and mail and stuff. Serious trip for me - I'm in Wexford:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 innominat

Im heading up from Cork on the bus as im just learning to drive.:eek:
    But the exams are held in Cork I think so im sorted there.:P

• Advertisement

I'm going to jump on a train. Don't fancy 5+ hours of driving.

cabledude wrote: »
    I'm going to jump on a train. Don't fancy 5+ hours of driving.

And I'm in Waterford :eek::eek::eek:, best of luck with the course..hopefully I'll see you there

And I'm in Waterford :eek::eek::eek:, best of luck with the course..hopefully I'll see you there

I'g planning on going from Wex-Dub then Dub-Sligo. Messy enough buy there is no direct link to Sligo from Wexford, or Waterford I'd imagine. No way am I driving that distance. Fupp that. Take the train, chill and read a book. Bliss.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Is anyone going to start the online Post Grad Dip/Masters in Energy? I'm on shift myself and am going to apply for that one.

Luckily I'm down here in Cork as well so I don't have to travel far for the exams :).

I'll probably drive up for the induction, I don't like the idea of Bus Eireann :(

Is anyone going to start the online Post Grad Dip/Masters in Energy? I'm on shift myself and am going to apply for that one.

Luckily I'm down here in Cork as well so I don't have to travel far for the exams :).

I'll probably drive up for the induction, I don't like the idea of Bus Eireann :(

I don't think there's a guarantee of Cork being an exam centre, depends on numbers I believe. Hopefully though they will be in Cork. I'd much prefer Cork to Dublin.........

Any word back yet?

Nothing yet and it's been almost 2 weeks thought I'dhave heard something either way. Sent a few emails to see what the story was but I've only gotten back out of office replies. Did you hear by email or snail mail?

I'd say you'll have to wait a few more weeks. Lecturers are still on their holidays until the middle of August.

Nothing yet and it's been almost 2 weeks thought I'dhave heard something either way. Sent a few emails to see what the story was but I've only gotten back out of office replies. Did you hear by email or snail mail?

Within 2 days of my application I got an email requesting further information. I replied to that and then 6 days later I got an email requesting the booking deposit. That was the acceptance letter. I then received a welcome pack by snail mail.

I have also been in contact with the co-ordinator in the last couple of weeks regarding a minor issue and (I won't mention their name here) this person seems to have been on leave. It would be no harm to give this person a quick call. That'll speed thing up for you I'm sure. I can PM you a direct dial number if you wish.

(It being a L6 course you shouldn't have any problems being accepted - but the motions have to be gone through)

If you could send me on that it would be great! I'll be out of the country for 3 weeks with the family in August so anxious to have it sorted before then otherwise I'll spend the whole time checking email to make sure I don't miss the request for the deposit.

• Advertisement

I heard back on Thursday morning and I got my place all my certs and deposit are in the post so looking forward to starting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 prince77

what are the possibilities of non resident foreigners for the online programmes? I am in for BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering L8, currently working on my qualification officially recognised in Ireland.

Pls any advice ???????

prince77 wrote: »
    what are the possibilities of non resident foreigners for the online programmes? I am in for BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering L8, currently working on my qualification officially recognised in Ireland.

Pls any advice ???????

You have to be present in the college every so often and youll have to sit your exams there in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 prince77

You have to be present in the college every so often and youll have to sit your exams there in may.

Thanx!! longhalloween.

Advertisement