Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards and Contract of Sale

Options
  • 21-06-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Hi guys sorry if this has been asked before but I'm on my phone and cant use the search function to any great effect.

If I use my Visa to buy something with Chip and Pin where does my recourse lie when the retailer (in France in this case) is being unco-operative?

AIB are insisting there is no way to charge back chip and PIN transactions. I was under the impression (probably wrongly as my knowledge on this is based on Scottish Consumer Law) that my contract of sale actually was actually between me and my credit card company.

The long version is I bought a fairly low/mid range priced bottle of wine on holiday and the day after I purchased it I found it had leaked from the cork. I went back expecting a quick swap but instead got a fat woman shouting at the guy that sold it to me in French. My french isn't great and the guy translating was leaving bits out but it was essentially not our problem.

A phone call to AIB later and they can't help either.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

A chargeback is for goods not received or damaged or fraudulently charged to the accounts.

You paid for the wine, you got the wine, end of AIB's involvement. The quality of the product is something between you and the vendor.

Advertisement