Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General question, if you feel like answering.

Options
  • 21-06-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks out there posting in here, and I thank you all for your insight and your freely offered information.

I was just wondering how many of you have some sort of professional qualifications?

For myself I can tell you I studied Applied Biology to degree level, majoring in marine biology, and ecology, but sadly that was a long time ago and I never did find employment in that area. (I am an aircraft technician)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Do to with palaeontology? Or just in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well I was thinking in general terms that may loosely have something to do with Paleontolgy.

As I said I did Applied Biology and had to go through some stuff on prehistoric creatures and evolution and such.

Ah right sorry I did nothing with palaeontology but I do find it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm just an extremely interested layman.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm just an extremely interested layman.

I don't think were what your man is looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I have studies related to screenwriting, filmmaking and animation, but all I know about zoology and paleontology I've learned by reading (and a short while as a zookeeper XD). So, no, not really.

Well I can honestly say "Long Live The Gifted Amateur." You folks are pretty amazing with your knowledge and insights. And of course your enthusiasm.

Thank you for answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

I will be in final year of my Geology degree at TCD next year.
    Also have some minor qualifications in the wine business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Qualified but never practiced in the geology field, but always retained my interest in all things rocky and dinosaur related.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Have archaeology degree - loved palaeotology lectures when in college and especially loved the practical digs. Am now more interested in local, more recent archaeology, simply because it's easier to access as it's more common. Wish I worked in the area, but I do love my job anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope, zip, nada, barely a leaving cert, I'm afraid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It seems Manach is the most qualified person to respond so far. It shows just how wonderful the subject really is with so many gifted amateurs who take an active part in the forum.

I salute you all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope, zip, nada, barely a leaving cert, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nothing on the palaeontology side.

Like the way our view of the past changes as new evidence comes to light.

Can all the important 'missing link' skeletons still fit on a snooker table ?

No more brontosaurs :(
    But feathered raptors :)
    And that mad flying giraffe yoke :eek:

Nothing is written in stone :pac:

*demands more cloning of Mammoths and Giant Sloths*

And that mad flying giraffe yoke :eek:

?

Galvasean wrote: »
    ?

Quetzalcoatlus/Hatzegopteryx, I suposse.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI5HMw0n54MXVdmrk7A9y9_zfuR8HgcEtQLT_5msK2BWL8d6GP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I have a related question: how do you keep up the interest in paleoanthology? Are there any magazines, or societies, or interesting mailing lists online that I could subscribe to? A couple of years ago I got really into paleoanthology and read numerous books on it (though I have to admit I haven't even gotten round to reading all the interesting ones I got), ones in the library also. I watched documentaries. I thought a lot about these things. I developed my thinking hugely. I will never look at the world in the same way again. I am hugely into nature now, hugely into primitivity and a sustainable planet. I care about everything and understand feelings and everything much better now, rather than the general nihilism that I often used to experience.

However I stopped doing this. I stopped learning about evolution and nature (or continued at a very slow rate), though I never stopped thinking about it. But I got back into the normal "swing" of things, where evolution is sort of relegated to some sort of academic thing that is somehow disconnected to the real world.

I think culture is to blame in a large part. We have all these messages and advertisements about other stupid stuff imposed on us all day every day. Ridiculous trivial politics, pointless debates and meaningless stuff. Every time we turn on tv this is what's on.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to "push" myself into reading and rereading these wonderful books if I don't instinctively feel like it.

I want to develop my thinking about it more also... I think you can figure out a lot with just a little information in this field. You don't have to bury yourself with facts.

I have a related question: how do you keep up the interest in paleoanthology? Are there any magazines, or societies, or interesting mailing lists online that I could subscribe to?

I don´t think my interest would die even if I didn´t do anything to maintain it. It's always been part of me, so to speak. However, I do read whatever I can find on the subject and I constantly follow the science news to see what new discoveries are announced- not only on paleontology but on zoology as well (my interest in paleontology stems from my interest on animal life as a whole).
    I was in the Dinosaur Mailing List for a short while but then I abandoned it, mostly because I realized paleontologists (not all of them, of course, but many) are an elitist bunch who can´t be bothered to share what they know with anyone who isn´t a "colleague", and sometimes when they do, they are quite rude or pedantic. I may have had bad luck, of course- but the truth is, it wasn´t worth it- I wasn´t even learning much.
    I would recommend reading a lot about living animals because at the end of the day, thats what dinosaurs and all prehistoric creatures were. By reading on all the fantastic diversity of modern day wildlife I think you can develop a more open mind and understand better how extinct creatures and ecosystems were like. Above all, always remember that the fossil record is fragmentary, that no one holds all the answers, and that what we believe today may be ridiculized and forgotten tomorrow. A lot of paleontology fanboys idolize paleontologists and repeat their words as if they were a gospel, which is just wrong IMO. I would say, always keep an open mind.
    A couple of years ago I got really into paleoanthology and read numerous books on it (though I have to admit I haven't even gotten round to reading all the interesting ones I got), ones in the library also. I watched documentaries. I thought a lot about these things. I developed my thinking hugely. I will never look at the world in the same way again. I am hugely into nature now, hugely into primitivity and a sustainable planet. I care about everything and understand feelings and everything much better now, rather than the general nihilism that I often used to experience.

I used to be an atheist, and even today I am not religious at all- I actually dislike religion. But somehow, the study of nature has left me with a feeling of awe and a conviction that there's something greater than us out there, and that everything happens for a reason. Einstein said once "he who has lost his ability to feel awe is like a dead man" or something along those lines. I think I was indeed, dead inside until I really got into nature. It was my path to finding God if you will.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to "push" myself into reading and rereading these wonderful books if I don't instinctively feel like it.

I want to develop my thinking about it more also... I think you can figure out a lot with just a little information in this field. You don't have to bury yourself with facts.

Don´t "push" yourself into anything. Read what you want to read, when you want to do it.
    But like I said before, watch out for living creatures, observe them, see the beauty in all of them- even bugs and spiders and creepy things. Facts are important, but imagination is even more important- and as much as some people want to ignore this, imagination is one of the pillars of paleontology and has always been. Or that's what I think.

How to keep up to tabs on Palaeontology related matters? Subscribe to this forum and read regularly. Honestly, all the best news pops along in here. If you're into not specifically extinct nature you could do much worse than checking out our 'sister forum' Zoology.

Advertisement