Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why We Should Celebrate Midsummer's Day. . .

• 21-06-2012 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

Centuries ago, our ancestors would light virgins and sacrifice bonfires on the longest day of the year. A quick google reveals that they weren't beset by worries such as the economy, dole queues, pyjama wearing nymphos or Justin Bieber's latest hairstyle like we are today.

Granted they spent a lot of time killing each other and had terrible teeth, but theirs was a simpler, happier time.

I propose a rejuvenation of the ancient celebration of midsummer's day in order to erase our modern day woes.

So what are you waiting for?

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I went to the Festival of Fires there last month - I thought that was celebrating all of that stuff?
    If not, then wtf was that festival for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh no the days start getting shorter again now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

We definitely need more festivals celebrating natural stuff like summer. In a far away world known as Azeroth they have a great summer festival and I need to get outside and live my life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I hate to be a pedantic pat but i will anyway.

Due to the last leap day, yesterday was the longest day of daylight of this year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

A bit late OP. Try again next year, but try be on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Squ wrote: »
    I hate to be a pedantic pat but i will anyway.

Due to the last leap day, yesterday was the longest day of daylight of this year..
    squod wrote: »
    A bit late OP. Try again next year, but try be on time.
    FML :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Longest day of the year, and i dont think the sun came out at all
    thats it for another year, its all down-hill from here
    better start getting the winter clothes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

The druids still celebrate it. By chance I went to an ancient druid site in the Western Isles in Scotland the day after the Summer solstice and there was a decapitated chicken at the foot of the biggest rock there. Make of that what you will :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The druids still celebrate it. By chance I went to an ancient druid site in the Western Isles in Scotland the day after the Summer solstice and there was a decapitated chicken at the foot of the biggest rock there. Make of that what you will :cool:

Lots of people celebrate it. Not just druids.

The rock might have fallen on its head?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

squod wrote: »

Lots of people celebrate it. Not just druids.
    my mam always put a candle in the window. Though she does the same on christmas eve..

Covering her bases' i suppose!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...celebrate it by what - fetching the canoe and paddling to the pub ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Midsummer's day was last night this year, due to it being a leap year. So you're a day late to your own celebration, OP.

Ha ha.

Midsummer's day was last night this year, due to it being a leap year. So you're a day late to your own celebration, OP.

Ha ha.
    Sssshhh, the virgins might hear you. . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

Considering the sun didn't even bother coming out today, I'm boycotting any celebrations. In fact, I'm going to ask Sinead O'Connor to tweet about it and have questions raised in the Dail. Maybe we need an awareness campaign of the fact that the sun didn't come out today. It's a disgrace Joe. And if you call me crazy, I'll throw a tantrum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    Considering the sun didn't even bother coming out today, I'm boycotting any celebrations. In fact, I'm going to ask Sinead O'Connor to tweet about it and have questions raised in the Dail. Maybe we need an awareness campaign of the fact that the sun didn't come out today. It's a disgrace Joe. And if you call me crazy, I'll throw a tantrum.

ahh now, Sinead is alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

...celebrate it by what - fetching the canoe and paddling to the pub ?

There wasn't much paddling done after the mead and the magic mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Summer? Where? When? Did I miss it this year? Count me in for big celebration if it arrives!!!!

Advertisement